Horses Ashes

SO1

Visit site
So Homey's ashes are coming back on Wednesday evening. I understand that the ashes will be really heavy in the casket.

I live in a flat on my own with no lift so will have to get them up the stairs and into my bedroom. I am hoping that between me and the lady who is delivering them we can get them into my bedroom thankfully I am first floor so only one flight of stairs. I am very slight so not someone who can carry really heavy casket of ashes up the stairs. Unfortunately I don't have friends or family nearby who can come and help me.

I have emailed the company and asked if they could bring a second person with them if need be and I will pay them to get them into the flat. Fingers crossed they can find someone or the lady and I can manage between us they don't use a courier they deliver themselves.

For those of you who have ashes and caskets how did you manage to get them into your house if you don't have help from a friend or family member? How heavy are they?

dreams579

Visit site
Recently had ashes back from my 17.1 ish type. Probably weigh about 10-12 kg but they arent in a casket. Personally I was fine handling them but they are definitely heavy enough to be awkward to carry by yourself if you struggle with lifting heavy items or have a distance to go

SO1

Visit site
It is all sorted the company have just emailed me and the lady is sending her husband who will help me get them into my bedroom.

It is a family business organised through the vets so they deliver themselves rather than using a courier.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
No idea when I can pick up my boys ashes yet but he weighed 944kg before he died. I've picked a trunk style casket.

Hope it goes smoothly for you.

I got his passport back yesterday. I thought they'd just cut the corner off but every page has been stamped with the word 'deceased' in inch high red capital letters which was a bit heart breaking.

SO1

Visit site
That is so sad. I have not sent Homey's back to the breed society yet at least I know what to expect now.

No idea when I can pick up my boys ashes yet but he weighed 944kg before he died. I've picked a trunk style casket.

I got his passport back yesterday. I thought they'd just cut the corner off but every page has been stamped with the word 'deceased' in inch high red capital letters which was a bit heart breaking.

Identityincrisis

Visit site

That is why i never sent my TB's passport back, i wasn't going to have that stamped across it. I care not one jot if I 'should' send it back!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So Homey's ashes are coming back on Wednesday evening. I understand that the ashes will be really heavy in the casket.

I live in a flat on my own with no lift so will have to get them up the stairs and into my bedroom. I am hoping that between me and the lady who is delivering them we can get them into my bedroom thankfully I am first floor so only one flight of stairs. I am very slight so not someone who can carry really heavy casket of ashes up the stairs. Unfortunately I don't have friends or family nearby who can come and help me.

I have emailed the company and asked if they could bring a second person with them if need be and I will pay them to get them into the flat. Fingers crossed they can find someone or the lady and I can manage between us they don't use a courier they deliver themselves.

For those of you who have ashes and caskets how did you manage to get them into your house if you don't have help from a friend or family member? How heavy are they?
I have just collected my boys ashes today :(. I could not bring myself to see him so hubby put him in his stable with a rug over him, Have you got another horse? could you put him in a wooden trunk in the stable?

I refuse to send my passports back and have deceased on them. My boys also will not be sent back.

SO1

Visit site
I don't have another horse so he will be in my bedroom with me. Not sure how that will go.

I have just collected my boys ashes today :(. I could not bring myself to see him so hubby put him in his stable with a rug over him, Have you got another horse? could you put him in a wooden trunk in the stable?

I refuse to send my passports back and have deceased on them. My boys also will not be sent back.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I didn't send my tb's passport back but he was registered with SIRE in France not Weatherbys. I did notify of his death online and it was heartbreaking to see that by his name, still gives me a jolt when I see it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Technically you do, in England anyway according to the horse passport government guidelines and within 30 days. Not that I’m saying that means anything ? I still have my old horses passport too.
Has anyone ever got called up on this though? It’s not enforceable. I don’t actually know anyone that’s ever sent a passport back.

lynz88

Visit site
Glad you have figured out a way to manage.

That definitely seems really heartless to stamp that on every page....now that I know that, I will not send mine in when mine passes. Don't care what the law says (it says a lot of things...?) even though I wasn't able to get a proper TB passport for him as his original owner wouldn't release his JC papers (this was very sentimental to her. My horse is actually named after her son) and the JC wouldn't issue me any new ones either.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site

My goodness, it feels very final when those words are said doesnt it ❤️Sorry for your loss

SO1

Visit site
So his ashes are back all feels very final and sad but the company were great the man bought them up the stairs and put them in my bedroom for me. The casket is very big and takes up a lot of space but at least this part is over.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220810_201830.jpg
    thumbnail_20220810_201830.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 77

Birker2020

Visit site
Unfortunately not. I keep thinking of how I rubbed his face to reassure him as he was being PTS and it makes me cry.
I'm sorry. It always strikes me how incredible it is that with all the years you have with a horse and all the momentous things you share, and the thousands of happy memories to look back on, when you lose them all you can think about over and over in your head, like a relentless video tape, are those final few moments.

That's why I stepped away and didn't see Bailey fall as I knew I would be reliving it over and over in my head.

It does ease with time, trust me.

SO1

Visit site
His passport is back from new forest breed society.

It came with a lovely letter of condolence. They had taken the cover off and replaced it with a new cover which said memorial passport. The pages had been stamped as cancelled but no mention of deceased.

I think what happens depends on which PIO you are with.

windswoo

Visit site
How nice of them.
it was years before I sent my boy's one off and I only did it because of being told it was a legal requirement.
However, nothing was said about the time difference between him passing and me sending it.
I stayed with my boy till the end which I have tried to do with all my animals. I felt far worse about the one who died at the vets on his own without us. It took me years to get over the death of him. My other animals I'm happy that I did everything I could for them right up until the end - did it make a difference to them, who knows.
The picture of the casket looks lovely.