Horses at home... Is it worth it?

debsflo

Visit site
I do think as much as we would like the perfect set up for our horses if you have a family it's about what's best for everyone. I have the country cottage with land and stables and a v supportive husband but am aware that we could have had a lot more available cash to do other things as a family if things had been different. In another year or two who knows what opportunities will arise.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Atlantis I have just seen your post - buy it- you have the time to make the bungalow into the house you would like...experience talking we didn't years ago and regret it.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
To shed a different light...I'd hate to have my horse at home right now.
I've always wanted to have horses at home, but changed my mind when I moved to my current, large, competition yard. I would miss the company, the shows, the facilities. My lad and me are getting a bunch of training at this place and always have someone to ride with.

So, instead, I've decided that I want to have horses at home eventually. When my lad retires (he's only 9 atm), I want to be able to bring him home to live with a companion, then keep a younger competition horse at the livery yard and do it that way instead.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I hav the horses at home and wouldn't have it any other way.But its a big deal commitment wise-a big sacrifice for a partner. Don't underestimate how much maintenance a place needs and the money to go with it. so if you aren't at that time in your life whereby you are either both happy to do it, or can afford the house/horse sitters when you go away then leave it just now. It does sound like you have enough on your plate without downsizing somewhere more expensive that doesn't tick all the boxes.

Louby-Jay

Visit site
For yourself- I would say just buy it however, I think having potentially four horses on 3 acres of land is a bit optimistic! Think about the winter when you need to rotate and mud is everywhere. Grazing will be ruined with four horses on such little land. We have 5 horses (3 big ones 2 small ones) rotated on 16 acres and our grazing is still limited after the winter!

Highlands

Visit site
I brought a 3 bedroom bungalow 3 years ago same village I grew up in, parents down road- ponies at home - it's the best ever! Stables added school will be - so happy!

Highlands

Visit site
Agree 3 acres with liveries too small and I would stable mine at night in winter, we have 12 acres for 5 horses ( 4 highlands and a big trad!)

glamourpuss

Visit site
You will always hear everyone waxing lyrical about having horses at home, but it's not always the right thing for everyone.
With a non horsey husband asking for too big a compromise on the house could cause resentment & anger.
A bit of land doesn't something perfect.

We were specifically looking for a place to have the horses at home but my husband wasn't prepared to compromise on the house & we just couldn't afford the house he wanted & the land I wanted.
We've ended up buying & rebuilding a derelict farm. It is taking FOREVER & is very stressful 😞

I have a saying 'if it's for you, it won't go past you'
You say the house has just gone on the market & it's come a year too soon for you. Well it might still be available in a years time...or there might be something even better!