Horses at home/winter holiday/house sitters etc.. Do you??? long sorry

dobbin27

Visit site
Ok!..

After a fairly spectacular disagreement with boyf yesterday re Christmas arrangements and my inability to drop my responsibilities on request, I have just been invited (Read ordered!) to spend NY with my non horsey family..

At the moment we don't live together all the time, but his two dogs have pretty much moved in (joining my 3!!) and I have two horses and two dinky ponies at home. So my first priority is obviously their welfare. Its not easy to just drop that little lot and disappear for a night and the next day!!

I have never really bothered with holidays, or much more than the odd night away in summer when horses live out and I feel it is OK to take up my horsey neighbours offer of help. But I wouldn't dream of letting them do it winter with stables etc..

Now I'm thinking I might have to start looking into the options (house sitters to look after them all V's kennels and livery etc..) to make sure my horse habit doesn't completely stop everybody else doing relatively normal stuff!!

Does anybody have any experience with this type of thing and ideas/suggestions..

Help!!

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
Hi - I had exactly the same thing happen this year - my bf decided to wisk me away for the christmas period - but for a week not just a few days. Anyway, I posted on here asking if it was possible to get a horse sitter over xmas, and had loads of offers of help (paid of course). My regular wkend groom has now said she will be able to do them over xmas, so problem sorted.

There are definately people out there that will do it over xmas, if no one on here can help, put up an ad in your local tack shop and I'm sure someone will step in.

muffinino

Visit site
Ordered? I'd like to see someone order me away from my horse, lol! Especially as there's hunting New Year's Day - forget it! I hate NYE, so being ordered to party would not go down well with me, tbh.

Is it your family you'll be staying with? How far away are they? If they're near, to keep the peace, could you not bring the horses in around 5 with enough hay/water etc to keep them happy, go to the party, not drink, leave at 12.05am then drive home? Everybody's happy then
smile.gif

mil1212

Visit site
we have spent christmas away for the last couple of years and have used house sitters for the week to look after 2 stabled horses, 2 dogs, a cat and 2 ferrets, and with the added security of the house being occupied. It has worked out well, and definately afforable. We used a local agency, the first house sitters came recommended by a friend, but the second lot had references from the same agency and I'd use again.

mattilda

Visit site
I have 2 regular house/horse sitters I use when we go away. I was stuck foe a few weeks this Summer and, through a poster on here. found a third person. It means I can go away with complete peace of nind as the dogs know and like these people and they are looked after superbly.
You need to research house sitters in your area and find someone who you like and trust.

mtj

Visit site
Horses go into livery, dogs stay at pet sitters and cats stay at home with visits from pet sitter. One of the dogs is quite territorial about his toys and doesn't like guests investigating cupboards. Strangely enough visitors are allowed to go to the fridge
smirk.gif

Have not had good experience using agency sitters - some years ago now. tried it on several occassions. They were great with small pets but their horse knowledge was sparce. I don't think they would have been able to cope if horses had fallen ill.

Ifyou leave thehorses at home with a private sitter, clarify arrangements carefully. had the interesting experience of returning from holiday to find horses and dogs happy. Cats outraged. The sitter had decided to move in her dog (the 2 of them usually lived with her parents) without consulting me. Then discovered that her and her mother had decided to tidy up the spare(junk) room. Couldn't find a b****y thing
mad.gif
. Sadly she didn't find time to do the poo picking. 14 wheelbarrows later
mad.gif
mad.gif
i finally got it sorted.

Hope you enjoy your xmas break

dobbin27

Visit site

They want to go away for a few days over NY... If I am honest I'm not overly keen, but I feel a bit guilty because if I say i'm going nowhere both boyfriend and my son miss out!

Maybe I should just see if I can trade him in for a horsey version!?.. I seem to be surrounded people who just don't get it at the moment!!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Its so nice to be reminded its not just me that thinks this way!! Will start looking into it all this week!

Sparklet

Visit site
I house sat for a friend last Christmas over Christmas and New Year. It took my horse with me and looked after her two, her dog, cat and a stack of chickens.

I was in a difficult domestic situation (split with husband but still in the same house) it is made it easier over the holidays.

I didnt get paid but it suited me at the time. The same request for this year has been turned down because I have my own flat now and it wont suit me as well.

I dont think it is easy to get a sitter because you need the knowledge, committment and also someone willing to give up their own family celebrations.

I'm probably not being overly helpful....just suggesting that there might be someone who would do it because it helps them out of a hole. I suspect it would be very expensive if not.

legaldancer

Visit site
I know just how you feel! I have to go & visit the outlaws the weekend before Christmas every year, where I stare at four walls all day long, apart from a brief game of charades.

I used to get horsey friends in, but it really is quite a lot of work & I feel better about paying someone. We have an Equine Dentist in the village who has his own horse & I pay him now, & a good job he does too. Neds get their teeth done at the same time!

rubyrumba

Visit site
There are people out there. I look after all of my work colleagues horses/animals when they go away. I should set up a business doing it i think!