Horses gone a bit mad?

KRjumpjump

Visit site
Has anyone else’s horses suddenly gone a bit bonkers? I’ve suddenly got a number of spooky, sharp horses that I don’t really want to ride! I’ve tried lunging first (which worked all winter) but it’s not helped at all!
They’re out 24/7, I’m hoping it’s the grass? I’ve cut their feed in half the last few days, they’re on magnesium and I’ve just started them on the Ron Fields stuff, but at this point I’m seriously thinking of putting them back in the winter paddocks with a bale of hay and just letting them out a few hours a day?
Basically want to know if anyone else is having/has had the same problem and if you’ve done anything that’s worked!
Forgot to mention the mares are also in season?

Equi

Visit site
Many horses go loopy around now. Let them burn their own energy off and loose school until their brains kick back in.

exracehorse

Visit site
Yep. All three have been spooking. Bucks. Even mini rears. They are still on winter paddocks but grass is growing rapidly and full of sugar.

Fools Motto

Visit site
total saint of a mare until 'someone' else dances/spooks/jogs/farts or heaven help everyone, bucks... then the halo slips (off completely it seems), and we're crackers!! Hoping it'll all be fine again in a week or two lol
Edit to say - we've been riding on our own the last few times, it's definitely helping atm...

Ratface

Visit site
Old Horse is daft as a brush most of the time, and sees no reason to moderate his behaviour any time soon!
We're all used to it, there's no evil intent, and if we really need him to dial it back, he will. So far, anyway.

maya2008

Visit site
Ours are all fine to ride, but have been playing hard with the young ones in the field. There was an actual game of chase going on at one point last week, in which my steadiest young one realised she can actually run faster than everyone else if she tries!

scats

Visit site
Millie had been an idiot to hack most days. Spooky and tense and spotting things in the distance and then behaving like an idiot. I’ve actually whacked her back on a magnesium based calmer, given it’s spring time. She was actually semi normal last night.
I’m blaming spring grass and feeling fitter again!

pinkfluffy

Visit site
Mine can't walk in a straight line. Does 4 steps then objects.
We were doing some really basic 'you do remember being ridden, don't you' schooling yesterday where he was doing his "I'm not moving, no" and then he decided a jogger he was looking directly at near the outside wall was scary. He spooks, I laugh at him (I'd only had black coffee, I blame the caffeine) and on a short clip my mum took, you can spot the exact moment he realises his "I'm terrified of the sky" has ruined his commitment to not moving a single hoof during his temper tantrum.
He's also decided the bridle is not for him. Today he kept nosing the bit and flinging it over his head when I was holding the bridle. Also, standing still when I'm mounting is not an available option.
He was fine when it was snowing!