Horses intercepted in Dover

meleeka

Visit site
This has been going on for years. I’ve been told before about loads of horses being shipped abroad, with the correct number of passports. The only problem is the passports don’t belong to the actual horses, as nobody ever checks. It’s more usual for them to go from England to Ireland and to Europe that way.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Goldenstar

Visit site
Take a look at horse shelter hero’s on YouTube they are a charity in Tennessee in the US trying to stop as many possible from travelling to Mexico for slaughter .
Required watching for anyone who struggles with the concept of putting their own horse to sleep .

There a big very unpleasant trade in worn out horses travel usually north to south in Europe for slaughter .

WHW has those horses now if they can hang on them they are the lucky ones they will treated with dignity and kindness .

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Take a look at horse shelter hero’s on YouTube they are a charity in Tennessee in the US trying to stop as many possible from travelling to Mexico for slaughter .
Required watching for anyone who struggles with the concept of putting their own horse to sleep .

There a big very unpleasant trade in worn out horses travel usually north to south in Europe for slaughter .

WHW has those horses now if they can hang on them they are the lucky ones they will treated with dignity and kindness .
I’ve seen a few of the rescue in America and it’s unbelievable that owners put their broken horses into an auction, some of them with broken legs , and so thin as well , how can people not have them put down at home, it’s so cruel

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

I follow them G regularly, also sent things out to them like horslyx, and also donated to them.

ycbm

Visit site
It does put the brouhaha about the ( imo ) over marking of a dressage test into perspective .

The over marking is not the issue, it's what's being done to horses day in day out by some people to achieve those marks that's the issue. Arguably worse, because of its never ending relentlessness, than a few bad days and a quick death.

I have room to be upset about both.

Surbie

Visit site
So do we all but this thread this criminal behaviour has had eleven posts since yesterday .
For me that’s telling .
It's in a bit of the forum that a lot of people might not visit regularly - I know I don't. Other sections have more traffic. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Surbie

Visit site
And we're supposed to be a nation of animal lovers...

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I once worked at a riding school and two big, old horses which had health problems once got picked up in a very old dodgy old lorry and the passports were handed over. I wasn’t that old at the time but I wondered where they were going and I’m pretty sure the YO had stopped giving them Bute a little while before. The lorry driver paid for them and off he went. The fact he paid makes me think they were going for meat 😔 it wasn’t the hunt definitely but I always wonder what happened to them bless them. I don’t understand how people can be so cruel and heartless. 💔

Reacher

Visit site
So do we all but this thread this criminal behaviour has had eleven posts since yesterday .
For me that’s telling .
The fact that people haven’t posted doesn’t mean they don’t have an opinion. Personally I find it disgusting and unbearable and I wish live export for slaughter was banned.

ETA it is so horrific and you feel powerless to change the situation. That’s why I hadn’t posted.

ETA2 I can’t understand anyone who has any sort of decency, let along fondness for their horse, sending it for live export , especially if injured. 🤬☹️

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I remember all the articles and photos in the papers when I was younger about the live horse trade to the Continent. It was abhorrent then and still is.
I can still remember the front page of one of the papers showing a horse on the floor being pulled along to go on to the boat, I must have been very young but it’s never left me. That’s why I don’t look at some of the videos posted on here as I know I will never get them out of my head, just reading the description is horrific enough for me

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s likely they went to the slaughter house and if they are fit to travel and it was not to far and the slaughter house was well run its just about acceptable in my mind I would never ever allow that for my horses though.
When I was young transporters picked up horses for slaughter on regular runs
That’s one thing transporting very lame damaged horses through several countries is some quite different.
I so worried about how horses will get pts particularly my own if Labour win the next election and put an end to foxhounds .
I am so lucky to able easily have my horses die with dignity at home .
We need systems that work to manage this .
The mess in the US makes my blood run cold .
Very sick lame damaged horses should never be travelling to die .

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I once worked at a riding school and two big, old horses which had health problems once got picked up in a very old dodgy old lorry and the passports were handed over. I wasn’t that old at the time but I wondered where they were going and I’m pretty sure the YO had stopped giving them Bute a little while before. The lorry driver paid for them and off he went. The fact he paid makes me think they were going for meat 😔 it wasn’t the hunt definitely but I always wonder what happened to them bless them. I don’t understand how people can be so cruel and heartless. 💔
I would imagine he was taking them directly to the abattoir. Someone used to advertise on H&H to do that or you could opt to have them put down at home. A better end than many get. There used to be quite a few horse abattoirs around. I took two myself once, not something I would do now but the cash I got for them paid a good few bills. They were put down while I was there and I could have stayed with them if I wished. I know how well they were treated and it was no worse than having them done at home.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We used to have an excellent local abattoir, which closed as they could not have afforded the costs (estimated at over £1million) in the late eighties, early 90s) to meet the standards brought in. We are fortunate that they rebranded as a pet Crematorium and still shoot horses at home and collect fallen stock.

ycbm

Visit site
I so worried about how horses will get pts particularly my own if Labour win the next election and put an end to foxhounds .

You have the money to have yours done by the vet if you really can't find someone to shoot them. There is no foxhound pack that will shoot horses in Cheshire now. The ones I contacted in December directed me to a man who did their own horses for them. I had a choice of at least three, one north, one south, one east. Farm stock will always need shooting in emergency situations and they will do the horses too. Foxhounds are not required for that service to continue, only sheep, pigs and preferably cows.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I would imagine he was taking them directly to the abattoir. Someone used to advertise on H&H to do that or you could opt to have them put down at home. A better end than many get. There used to be quite a few horse abattoirs around. I took two myself once, not something I would do now but the cash I got for them paid a good few bills. They were put down while I was there and I could have stayed with them if I wished. I know how well they were treated and it was no worse than having them done at home.

I hope this is the case I really do as the rumour was they had gone for meat. But I hope you are right.

ycbm

Visit site
I hope this is the case I really do as the rumour was they had gone for meat. But I hope you are right.

They will have gone for meat, just not overseas. Abattoirs used to sell horse meat for pet food production. I had a receipt for the first horse I ever had put down. He was too poisoned by kidney failure to go for meat but I was paid for his bones and tail hair. His body after he was shot at the stables went to Turners abattoir but the receipt was in the name of the Belle Vue Pet Food Company. I've never forgotten it. In those days PTS by chemicals wasn't available, and you could also be paid hundreds for the horse instead of paying for it to be PTS and incinerated. I was paid the equivalent of £120 today just for bones and tail hair.