Horses killed on M4

cbmcts

Visit site
Yes it's getting to the time of year that horses are frequently loose on the A127 due to the grass going off. Rubbish fencing and hungry horses mean that there are certain stretches that I drive with extreme caution especially in the dark early mornings. There was a spate of nasty accidents a few years ago and tbf it has improved...

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Don't forget that it takes two to tango. Most HGV drivers I see on motorways should not be allowed anywhere near one! They tank along in convoy inches from the one in front, pull out without signals or consideration etc., etc., yet they sit up higher than anyone else giving them an presidented view of the road in front but they still manage to kill folks broken down on the hardshoulder.
In my opinion there is very little excuse for hitting an animal the size of a horse on a motorway - galloping towards you around a bendy lane maybe - a motorway no. Not even in the dark.

popsdosh

Visit site
Don't forget that it takes two to tango. Most HGV drivers I see on motorways should not be allowed anywhere near one! They tank along in convoy inches from the one in front, pull out without signals or consideration etc., etc., yet they sit up higher than anyone else giving them an presidented view of the road in front but they still manage to kill folks broken down on the hardshoulder.
In my opinion there is very little excuse for hitting an animal the size of a horse on a motorway - galloping towards you around a bendy lane maybe - a motorway no. Not even in the dark.

LOL what an arrogant reply ,lets hope your never in that situation on a motorway. Horses are at best unpredictable and not something you would expect coming towards you on a motorway. Just for your brain to digest most accidents involving lorries on motorways are caused by normal cars doing things they shouldnt.

Visit site
LOL what an arrogant reply ,lets hope your never in that situation on a motorway. Horses are at best unpredictable and not something you would expect coming towards you on a motorway. Just for your brain to digest most accidents involving lorries on motorways are caused by normal cars doing things they shouldnt.

Not to mention the fact that a lorry can't stop like a car can. They weigh a hell of a lot more and are very easy to Jack knife and cause a hell of a lot of destruction that could cover bother sides of the motorway if they start going sideways!

Yes lorry drivers annoy people quite a lot but until you have driven one yourself don't make assumptions!

P.s.this isn't aimed at your popsdosh! I hit the wrong quote button!

scats

Visit site

Have you seen the carnage that can occur when vehicle tries to swerve or stop suddenly on a motorway??

Much rather a dead horse than several vehicles worth of dead humans.

fburton

Visit site

fburton

Visit site
Have you seen the carnage that can occur when vehicle tries to swerve or stop suddenly on a motorway??

Much rather a dead horse than several vehicles worth of dead humans.
Absolutely. And if I could pull a lever to deflect a lorry or train away from people towards a horse (assuming that was the only choice), I would in a flash.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Maybe you ought to think about what you say before you blurt out nonsense about something you do not know or have experience of. Have you ever driven an 7.5 ton or bigger??? Do you know the stopping distance of a truck going at an average speed of 50 mph?? I fear not. Where I am not denying they do tail gate but equally cars do it too so a bit rich to single out a lorry driver, as lorry drivers do long ours on the road, and more often than not when they do collide with a car on the hard shoulder they fell asleep at the wheel.

Truck drivers have to be aware of everything around them but a horse suddenly appearing is not something you expect on the motorway. If there was a long line of trucks ahead of him how on earth could he see past.
As yet we don't know that the lorry drivers were carrying as if it is dynamite they cannot make sudden movements. (Mates boyfriend carry's this), you really have labelled the truck drivers at fault without knowing all the details which is very single minded of you of you.

My horsebox has a speed restriction on meaning I cannot go faster than 50mph If I have a horse suddenly appear in front of me I would have little chance to avoid as most likely I would have other vehicles around me and swerving would make me hit one of them, not to mention injuring my horses inside.

As yet we do not know how they were hit as if they crossed from one side to another you could not have any chance to avoid and unless the motorway was quiet you would not see much as if they suddenly came on from the side, they stood little chance.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site

That’s just taken the top award for the stupidest post I have ever read on hho
Well done.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I personally would love it if this metal fencing was used its wire with intermittent pieces like this through it >> l l l
If my fields were beside the big roads and

along the road side of motorways wherever horses or cows or any large animal is grazed to avoid incidents like this. Many times you travel up motorways there is only 3 rails of post and rail between horses and certain death -0 and wee all know fencing rots and can get broken.

I think this is a good idea to stop more rubbernecks http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-stop-rubberneckers-causing-traffic-jams.html

Squeak

Visit site
How sad. And very inconvenient! I wonder if it would be wrong to assume the colour and type of these horses?

I live locally to there and it was someone's beloved horses so not the colour or type I think you were thinking of. The owners are distraught.

A reminder to us all to double check our fencing and also to ensure we've got our public liability insurance etc all in place :(

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

along the road side of motorways wherever horses or cows or any large animal is grazed to avoid incidents like this. Many times you travel up motorways there is only 3 rails of post and rail between horses and certain death -0 and wee all know fencing rots and can get broken.

…….

I owned and worked in a fencing contracting business, purely equestrian and agricultural up until about 6 years ago and I often drive on motorways and dual carriageways too and see livestock owners relying on the fencing which was put in place when the motorway was first opened, and very rarely maintained. Motorway fences, except at sites of specific risk — deer or badger crossing points, for instance, simply acts as a demarcation line. NO other motorway fencing should EVER be relied upon as being stock proof.

Those who keep livestock of any kind and up against motorways should be aware of the risks. Just out of interest, I wonder who's actually responsible, considering that the land for ALL motorways has at some time been acquired by the route of compulsory purchase. Are the Highways Depts responsible for maintaining the fences on land which has been purchased - does anyone know?

Alec.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
...... Just out of interest, I wonder who's actually responsible, considering that the land for ALL motorways has at some time been acquired by the route of compulsory purchase. Alec.

As part of the cheeky one-sided deal you get when being turfed off your own land - you get full responsibility and liability for the fencing - in purperpetuity! My mate had his farm cut in half by the M25 and now has 10kms of rotten fence - HS2 have just turned up to build a "temporary access" it will be in place for at least eight years after which I can see another lot of liability.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
That’s just taken the top award for the stupidest post I have ever read on hho
Well done.

So would you be an HGV driver or have one as close personal friend then?

My post has quite a few words in it - do please point out the exact ones you are awarding the Goldstar to.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site

This idea would be fine if it didn't take so long to put up and remove. I find the entire ethos prevailing at incident sites counterproductive - the concept of an open free use of the Queen's Highway seems to be put on hold so that the various brands of flourescent jacket wearers can draw themselves up their full importance. O.K. people are injured and humanity dictates we show them decency - even if they were the crazy cause of the damn thing but what's all that measuring and fifty blokes from umpteen "agencies" - while the life blood of the country sits waiting. I think there is need for a kind of Traffic Tsar (very popular a few years ago - we had Tsars for everything) I'd appoint guys who been in charge of aircraft carriers - they know the importance of keeping the damn runway open!

Alec Swan

Visit site
As part of the cheeky one-sided deal you get when being turfed off your own land - you get full responsibility and liability for the fencing - in purperpetuity! My mate had his farm cut in half by the M25 and now has 10kms of rotten fence - HS2 have just turned up to build a "temporary access" it will be in place for at least eight years after which I can see another lot of liability.

Really? Blimey, that's a bit strong! :)

Just out of interest, around about 1980 the town of Attleborough in Norfolk got a new by-pass which involved the compulsory purchase of land, obviously. I have it, not from the owner's mouth but a close confidant, that 18 years later and to avoid being done for inheritance tax, the 'vendor' left the money with Government and on deposit, taking only the interest. The sum, so I understand was considerable!

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
This idea would be fine if it didn't take so long to put up and remove. I find the entire ethos prevailing at incident sites counterproductive - the concept of an open free use of the Queen's Highway seems to be put on hold so that the various brands of flourescent jacket wearers can draw themselves up their full importance. O.K. people are injured and humanity dictates we show them decency - even if they were the crazy cause of the damn thing but what's all that measuring and fifty blokes from umpteen "agencies" - while the life blood of the country sits waiting. I think there is need for a kind of Traffic Tsar (very popular a few years ago - we had Tsars for everything) I'd appoint guys who been in charge of aircraft carriers - they know the importance of keeping the damn runway open!

It's all to do with red tape, recording, measuring, assessments and slide rules …. and the upshot is that these reports tell us what we already knew — someone was driving like an idiot. There is no such thing as an 'accident' — every accident is preventable.

Alec.

Cecile

Visit site
I live locally to there and it was someone's beloved horses so not the colour or type I think you were thinking of. The owners are distraught.

A reminder to us all to double check our fencing and also to ensure we've got our public liability insurance etc all in place :(

So sorry to hear that^^

Its one of my worse nightmares as I had a mare who took herself through a village and then cantered straight across the A4 years ago which still brings me out in a cold sweat

Fencing is really taking a battering with these high winds and sodden ground

frankster

Visit site

Agree100%

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Agree100%

I find it difficult to disagree with someone who doesn't exist.

For those who haven't noticed, OF joined forum a month ago, stormed straight into being a prolific poster and attempts to raise an argument on pretty much every thread he joins. His latest one is to say that his wife, who apparently looks like Cher while he resembles Patrick Swayze, thinks that the taxi rapist's victims deserved it for being drunk.

I'm still waiting for an answer to how he saw Quorn made in an oil refinery :D

If he isn't a troll he's a pretty offensive idiot at times , guys, don't rise to it unless you think it's fun (which I do).

PS I have driven an HGV on motorways many times and I would always kill a horse before swerving and risking killing a human. In fact I would go as far as to say that I would deliberately hold my line and my speed, if I had the presence of mind in the moment, in order to kill the horse so that it didn't run into anyone else's path and go through the windscreen of a lower height car and kill the occupants.

Last edited:

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site

OMMMMMM ( imagine a Buddha comtemplating).

..... OF joined forum a month ago, stormed straight into being a prolific poster

Jeez - 11,000 + posts in two years and you call me prolific?

.....attempts to raise an argument on pretty much every thread he joins.....

Er hmmm.... I usually join one already well started.

.... that his wife, who apparently looks like Cher while he resembles Patrick Swayze,

I reckon it's pretty fair to say that my wife looked like this:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERd61bDY7k - not a lookalike but similar. To be fair Swayze was far more dashing than I've ever been - I can't dance to save my life but could probably stand my ground with a calavry sabre.

..... the taxi rapist's victims deserved it for being drunk.

No! I did NOT say that, neither did my wife - but she does take a very dim view of gross drunkenness (of anyone ) particularly young women.

I'm still waiting for an answer to how he saw Quorn made in an oil refinery

I was able to see protein being made in an oil refinery because that's where the damn stuff was - it used to be only for cows and was labelled up Liquid Paraffin Animal Protein by the Bibby company as far as I can remember. Quorn uses very similar recovered fungii - the original adverts used to include a voice over that said "it's made from a tiny relative of the mushroom" and so it is. I reckon Ester might know more.

.... he's a pretty offensive idiot at times....

and at others - I'm a pussy cat.

PS I have driven an HGV on motorways many times and I would always kill a horse before swerving and risking killing a human. In fact I would go as far as to say that I would deliberately hold my line and my speed, if I had the presence of mind in the moment, in order to kill the horse so that it didn't run into anyone else's path and go through the windscreen of a lower height car and kill the occupants.

That's all well and good but in the Highway Code I read in 1964 it said - keep to a speed from which you can safely stop in the distance you can see and this incudes motorways. I can see the M25 from my upstairs windows and invariably there is far less than one vehicle's length in between herds of HGV - they could be circus elephants trunk to tail.

{97702}

Visit site

For those who haven't noticed, OF joined forum a month ago, stormed straight into being a prolific poster .

This bits could also apply to "Keith Beef" who is suddenly posting everywhere too - how odd, two new male prolific posters at the same time :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Lévrier;13714691 said:
This bits could also apply to "Keith Beef" who is suddenly posting everywhere too - how odd, two new male prolific posters at the same time :)

I'm not posting everywhere, you know... Just threads that I find interesting and where I either have a question to ask or where I have something to get off my chest.

If ever you think I'm wrong or offensive or objectionable, please feel free to join in.

I assure you, I'm not thin-skinned, I don't take offense easily and I don't bear a grudge.

(After writing that, I just checked up and I admit that both OF and I joined in December 2017 and that at the time of posting OF is at 169 posts and I'm at 218 posts...)

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
I’m very pleased for you that you have those attributes, they will come in useful on the forum at some point I’m sure :) when you’ve been around as long as I have (long before 2012 incidentally) you tend to notice trends emerging with a certain cynicism, so it is always nice to be proved wrong :)

popsdosh

Visit site

That's all well and good but in the Highway Code I read in 1964 it said - keep to a speed from which you can safely stop in the distance you can see and this incudes motorways. I can see the M25 from my upstairs windows and invariably there is far less than one vehicle's length in between herds of HGV - they could be circus elephants trunk to tail.

Have you ever asked why they drive like that? generally they trust each other and have similar braking ability. Im afraid if they leave a gap of any size some idiot in a car does unpredictable things in the gaps. Try asking a professional lorry driver some time it may enlighten you.