Horses living out all year

neighneigh

Visit site
What things do I need to keep in mind with horses who will be living out all year?

I’ve found a field for them but advice on security etc. would be gratefully received please!

(I’ve only ever kept horses on a livery yard before, with them coming in at night all year!)

TheMule

Visit site
You need to think of some provision for having them on a clean area of hardstanding/ preferably undercover for the farrier/ vet, what you'll do if one needs box rest, water supply, feeding hay/ haylage in the winter and giving your land a rest in the Spring for maintenance

be positive

Visit site
I think it depends very much on the field, I would be more concerned about security if it has a fair amount of fenceline alongside a quiet road with a pull in by the gate than I would be if it was hidden away from roads, near the owners house or in the middle of a village where everyone knows what is going on.
The fencing must be secure again depending on location I may prefer a double fence or fence inside a hedge to a) keep them in and b) keep people away, I would want any against a road to be totally foolproof, the same with gates preferably double or a fenced off area if there is any risk of them getting out when you go in or when you bring 1 out, padlocks on both sides to prevent them being lifted off and don't leave anything of value there, even rugs are best well marked, electric fencers are frequently stolen so need careful positioning if used.

Can farrier and vet get in easily and work without being knee deep in mud? the same for hay deliveries.

There is probably more to think about but they are the things that would be on my mind.

neighneigh

Visit site
Thank you!
This is exactly the type of advice I need!
The water supply is sorted and I will be checking on them at least 3 times a day (and 3 friends will be driving past twice a day) but I am still worried about security.

meleeka

Visit site
I have Horsewatch signs on the gate (free from your local Co-Ordinator. Also make sure the gate is padlocked both ends with a nice chunky padlock and chain. You can also get signs on eBay which say “These horses are microchipped/freezemarked.”

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The biggest act risk item when out of the way often seems to be electric fencing units/battery if you have to use one.

neighneigh

Visit site
Will definitely get two good chains and padlocks!

I’ll section an entrance part off at the gate then too I think, for the farrier/vet and to hopefully put people off from feeding the horses.

Any other things I should be considering?

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
If security is one of your main concerns, could you set up some sort of camera? A wildlife cctv that you can watch on your phone

neighneigh

Visit site
I will try to get a field shelter sorted, the only thing is that they’ll be having 3 different fields (so 2 can rest whilst they’re on the one) and I can’t afford to buy 3 field shelters unfortunately. There are a couple of big trees so I’m hoping that will be enough shelter for them (I’ll see how they get on).

The wildlife camera is a great idea! I’ll look in to that!

Mule

Visit site
A small area of hardstanding makes life much easier if your land is anyway boggy. You have a water supply which is good because bringing tanks of water in is a right pain. If the shelter isn't great be prepared to use rain sheets.

Regarding security, if you're checking on them 3 times a day, human activity, in addition to a stout lock should be enough of a deterrent.
Of course do get acquainted with any nearby residents and ask that they keep their eyes open. (That's actually very useful)

be positive

Visit site
You would need a shelter on skids otherwise planning is required and the LO may not want the hassle, most horses are fine without a shelter as long as there is some natural hedging or trees, feeding hay in winter may be easier with somewhere covered or hard standing but is manageable without, some of mine winter out with suitable rugs, good hedges and hay put under the hedge so it is out of the mud and stays relatively dry, if you do get a shelter it can cause issues if they wont share or have a scrap inside it, so in many ways they can be more trouble than it is worth.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Can you site the field shelter in a central corral arrangement with hardstanding and gates which can allow access to your three fields individually? So only one field shelter needed but the horses always have access to it no matter which field they are in?

ETA I would not allow my horses to live out if they did not have 24/7 access to a good inviting field shelter. My neds use both of their shelters a lot all year round, though a lot of folk will tell you that their horses won't use them.

Last edited:

Hack4fun

Visit site
Firstly, horses have evolved to live in the wild even in British winters in my view. They do quite well. Water, shelter and food will be fine. Many field shelters stand empty while their would be occupants are in the open or stand against hedges or under trees. They do provide shade in summer and which they can like. If you are worried about theft, then little will prevent thieves from getting in. Chains and padlocks are worthwhile as they prevent accidental and casual opening of gates though, and provide a second level of security should a catch fail. Electric fences are useful but not a primary means of containment. If you want to use it permanently on your boundaries then I would buy the stuff to do that rather than use the portable things. Get a decent energiser (say, 1J). Horses can jump fences if they are sufficiently motivated. This could happen if one is left alone while you take another out. If they become herdbound then just do little and often to get them all used to being separated. None of this should put you off. They do fine. Try not to over-rug them too. Hope that is useful, but it is based on my experience keeping them out 24/7.

ozpoz

Visit site
It depends on how much native/cold blood your horse has. There are some parts of the country that are genuinely inhospitable and most horses will do better if they can out of the wind and driving rain.

neighneigh

Visit site
The fields aren’t close to each other so I wouldn’t be able to use one field shelter for the 3 unfortunately.

The fields are surrounded by very good and high hedges and have a few established trees so I’m hoping, at least in the short term, that there will be enough shelter.

Both horses will be together and live out indefinitely. Neither can be ridden so won’t be taken away, leaving one on its own, which is good. They are due for worming, feet trims, the dentist and for vaccinations at the same time so they won’t need to be separated at all. If one needs to go on box rest, the other will have to go on box rest too.

There is internal fenicing all around, as well as the hedges, but some of it perhaps isn't as ideal as it could be for horses.
If I put more internal fencing up, it would probably have to be plastic posts and tape in which case I’ll need a battery. I am worried that the more stuff there is in the field, the more attention there’ll be.

I’ll need to store hay in the field for them. I’ve chosen a sheltered spot and was going to put it on some pallets, with some tarpaulin over it. Will that be ok?

Hack4fun

Visit site
They will get into the hay I'm afraid, unless you store in a different field from them. Round bales may be cheaper but should be given to them with the netting removed. A ring feeder may reduce wastage, and be paid for by the lower cost of round bales and reduced wastage. If you go for one, then the tombstone type is best. We have a tractor which makes it easy to fill it. Just take your time to see what works for you. Everything you have said so far sounds OK.

Regarding the trees, if they are oak or sycamore then it is as well to know that they are toxic, including acorns and flyers from the sycamore trees.

Electric fence sounds OK. A decent battery will last longer, and you may need a backup for when you take it home to charge it up. The tape on my fence does not appear to be too secure in the wind, but you will find out what works for you. Some public liability insurance is the only thing I would add if you don't already have it.

SOS

Visit site
The horses will be fine living out all year without field shelter provided they are natives types, have plenty of food and are kept warm. I’d be more worried about them having somewhere to stand that’s dry than something to stand underneath?

If the gates are yours paint atleast a rail if not the whole thing as well as padlocks. Makes them a lot less desirable to steal. A field local to me last year had a gate stolen off the front with horses loose inside.

Orangehorse

Visit site
The horses will be fine living out all year without field shelter provided they are natives types, have plenty of food and are kept warm. I’d be more worried about them having somewhere to stand that’s dry than something to stand underneath?

If the gates are yours paint atleast a rail if not the whole thing as well as padlocks. Makes them a lot less desirable to steal. A field local to me last year had a gate stolen off the front with horses loose inside.

This and what Hack4Fun said. Walk the fence pretty much every day and check the water. If there is good natural shelter then they probably wouldn't use a field shelter - ours stayed out in blizzards and rain but used the shelter in the summer to get away from the flies. Are you going to poo pick or harrow the fields when you rotate? Think about a muck heap and disposal. And keeping hay in the field will inevitability lead to a certain amount of mess. There are people around who advertise paddock maintenance so shop around for someone who could come and do the big josbs every so often if you haven't the equipment. Having 3 fields will be very good as you can rotate and rest them, but then beware of the dangers of too much grass!

Mule

Visit site
You could put a battery electric wire around the area where you will keep the hay. It's best to keep a wide perimeter so they can't get up close to it. Also, be prepared to get acquainted with mudrash ;)

conniegirl

Visit site
My TB x ID has just wintered out. He was rugged and had a little welsh A as a friend (unrugged!)
We have never seen them in thier field shelters and there is no evidence that they use them. They do however have a couple of hedges that they like to use!

Just make sure your water is checked at least twice a day. If you put hay out make sure it is somewhere fairly dry or you will end up with a muddy mess!

Rollin

Visit site
You need to think of some provision for having them on a clean area of hardstanding/ preferably undercover for the farrier/ vet, what you'll do if one needs box rest, water supply, feeding hay/ haylage in the winter and giving your land a rest in the Spring for maintenance

All of this. We moved to this part of France known for its mild climate, from Scotland. Even here I don't leave horses out all winter. Once gateways become wet feeding is a problem. I don't want my horses to spend their winter standing or lying in mud.

neighneigh

Visit site
It’s so bad, I hadn’t thought about them getting into the hay! (This is why I asked for advice!!)
So I’ll section off the hay that’s in the bales.
I have a large hay hutch for feeding it to them, to try to keep it tidier, dry and to reduce the wastage.
They can have hay available all year and they’ve both got a variety of rugs if they need rugging.

All great advice so far thank you everyone!