Horses melt in the rain !!!!! quick bring them in !!

maisiemoo

Visit site
All horses on yard in tonight as it's raining , except mine and my friends , only a small yard but seems YO can't text and let us know , all horses are rugged , a simple text this afternoon would of given me time to go buy some shavings as cleaned stable out last week , just been down to yard to check them and friends horse who is a field trasher if any of her friends go in is walking up and down the fence, my girl quite happy [ till she spotted me lurking behind the hedge spying on them ] . Moved their fences a foot so they got fresh grass to go at, flipping annoyed at the lack of communication and will be having a diplomatic word tomorrow . It's a bit of rain the horses have been in enough over a long winter and the fields are in great condition , just don't see why they were brought in , oh one of YO 's horses was calling to it's friend last night and kept her awake :rolleyes:

JulesRules

Visit site
I nearly posted a thread with the same title.

Nearly all the horses on our yard are in. Mine and my mate's girls are out and quite happy.

I even said to YO " do people know their horses won't melt in the rain? "

DipseyDeb

Visit site
TBH, I don't see a problem. At our yard, I wouldn't expect a phone call unless mine was going to be on his own. Although he is in, because he is happiest in when the weather is this *****ty. It makes no odds to me weather he's in or not, yes being out is easier, but I know my horse and know that he would be unhappy left out in persistant rain. I'm sure that plenty of people who would tut and say 'he's not going to melt' but I'm lucky to be on a yard where people are not that judgmental!

HairyCoblet

Visit site
I never get to know what's happening at our yard, and my little 2yr old often gets left out on his own but I think he secretly likes it!
However ours are all out tonight so let it rain!

Polos Mum

Visit site
When I went out to feed the pigs/ walk dogs my boys came flat out over to the gate - they haven't done this for weeks (having been out 24/7) they thought they would melt in the months worth of rain we are forecast this evening!!

cob&onion

Visit site
Both mine are out, they have no choice!!
Plenty of natural shelter though and there quite happy grazing.
Twonky cob managed to cut her leg this eve. hard work slopping about in the peeing down rain trying to see to a cut!! luckily it wasn't as bad as it looked, just a surface graze really - looked worse as she has white legs so looked alot of blood!! sprayed it with anti-septic spray and put a load of cream on it. No heat/swelling and no lameness.
Silly cob!

HBM1

Visit site
I honestly don't understand this aspect of "yard politics". I know I am lucky in that my horses are all together, but I honestly do not care what other people do with their horses. I never notice if they bring them in, leave them out or take them off for a nice meal at the weekend.

If they brought their horses in surely that is up to them, if you want to leave yours out, same thing. OK so your horse "may" have ended up out on their own, but surely that isn't the responsibility of everyone else?? My horses came in tonight, no one's business but mine as far as I am concerned.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Why does it matter what others do? I have mine rugged and not out full time yet. At least pastures are holding. I'm sure I'll get slagged for the rugs. But hey it's cold and the horses have lost their winter hair.

Terri

Pigeon

Visit site
Ours are meant to be out 24/7 in the spring and summer, but no sign of being allowed to leave them out overnight yet. I have no idea what weather's meant to do in the next few weeks.

HBM1

Visit site
Why does it matter what others do? I have mine rugged and not out full time yet. At least pastures are holding. I'm sure I'll get slagged for the rugs. But hey it's cold and the horses have lost their winter hair.

Terri

Mine are rugged too except the yearling who still has a full winter coat on him. I think it unfair to have them with summer fur in winter-type temperatures frankly.

skint1

Visit site
I agree entirely it' really up to the individual isn't it? I bought my horses in tonight, I also bought in their 3 buddies (owner permission of course) It has not stopped raining (fairly heavily and consistently) here since about 2pm, it is not due to even begin to ease off until early hours of the morning, it's also pretty windy. I bought them all in around 7pm and they were all happy to be in. Of course I know they won't melt, normally I would leave them out with their rugs on or whatever but this is not natural weather we are having.

Buds_mum

Visit site
I am cruel lol. Cold temps - summer coat - no rug = weight dropping off fatty cob like no tomorrow :D
He is in at night to limit grass intake and out rugless regardless of weather in the day. Really working for us :p x
Btw horses won't melt in the rain, if anything they would dissolve :D

JandP

Visit site
Blimey I don't notice what anyone else does....I was just pleased that my lovely and very sensible YO had been nice enough to go and rug my two year old for me, as he is out with a distinctly summer like coat and she had seen the weather forecast (unlike me!).

His mother is in at night anyway due to a very large belly and an abundance of spring grass in her field!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Sheesh - just popped out for a ciggy - its blowing a hooley out there with sideways rain :eek: due to ease back in the next hour or so tho :)

Will look out for melted fuzzies in the morning......

mtj

Visit site
I plead guilty. Horse that has spent winter (snow excepted) overnighting in field, is tucked up in his stable tonight. Quite happy to have him out in on/off rain, but field lacking enough shelter for this persistent stuff.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
I'd love to have a stable to put my mare in.
She's shivering and won't let a rug anywhere near her.

She will be looking thinner within a day or two of this.:(

Vanha12

Visit site
Think for many of us it is more to do with what happens to our paddocks when they are out 24/7 rather than the ponies getting wet. We are on clay and have gone from bone dry to a bog in under a week. All the ponies back in after a 'summer' of 5 days!

Firewell

Visit site
Well my precious TB is in, would never leave him out at night in weather like this. Yard bring our TB's in the moment they start hanging around by the gate. He'd probably be broken or skeletal by
the morning if left out.
However some of the horses at the yard are out as they have swapped around to summer routine already.
Each to their own.
Hopefully the weather will become more summery again soon and we can get ours out at night.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Not everyone's horses are happy out in heavy rain.. My tb waits & gets silly to come in once the rain comes.. That's him & no he wouldn't get over it.. He never has! It would just result in an injured horse..So it's completely up to the owners what they do.. I don't see the problem..

Potato!

Visit site
Well mine was in last night and tonight as I'm trying to limit his grass intake but is unrugged so hopefully as its quite cold he will be using energy to keep warm.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Ours have been out a month now whilst the other 3 on the yard have been in double rugged every night!! However tonight, we brought them in as the TB was shivering and has a dodgy back so not worth the risk of her getting a chill.. Mine would only jump hedges to get in if left out alone but she was thoroughly peeved at being in and decided to move her bed around to the opposite side of stable in a strop!!

Back out tomorrow like normal!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We chucked ours out at night a week ago in that gorgeous weather. Five days later and it threw it down, they were shivering, the boggy areas were returning and they'd both had shoe sucked off, so they came back in again! I hate chopping and changing routines, and I could have really done with them out as hubby has just had an operation and I work away - would have been easier for him, so am panicing trying to find cover. However I am really glad I did, its forecast snow again tonight followed by torrential rain. I nearly shut the top doors too tonight!

Marydoll

Visit site

Terri

^^^^ This
And to be honest i dont give a monkeys what others do with theres, i dont know there over all situation.
Thank god im not on a yard,id struggle to put up with this sort of crap :rolleyes: