Horses never been clipped

jodiew

Visit site
Just wanted some advice please people, i am wanting to clip my horse this weekend but he has never been done before. I have clippped many horses before jst none that have never been done before, if you understand me.

So i was just wanting any tips on the best way to go about it without him getting worried or scared.

Thanks

Jodie

jumpthemoon

Visit site
Take it slowly and be patient! Start off doing a chaser clip or similar, so if said horsey has a fit, you havent taken off so much that there's no going back! Another horse stood next to them sometimes helps (one that isn't bothered by the noise) and a haynet can help, depending on how greedy the horse is. Most important thing though is not to rush it, you should be fine
smile.gif

WelshRareBit

Visit site
Do you know for a fact that he's never been done before? I only ask because I didnt know if mine had or hadnt - and then he acted like such an angel I figured he must have.

I think giving him ten minutes to listen to the noise might help (if you havent been de-sensitizing him to it over a longer period) A nice yummy haynet to concerntrate on helped my boy as did his favourite lick!

jodiew

Visit site
well the people who had him before me have never clipped him and the before that he was just chucked out into a field so i am guessing not.

He is very greedy and will do anything for food, so the haynet is deffo a good idea!

I would have left him abit longer but i rode him lastnight, an within 20minutes he was really sweating and he wasnt even working that hard!!

joey1999

Visit site
Give your self plenty of time even if it means doing one side on Saturday and the other on Sunday! Also if it has a best friend (who doesn't mind clippers!) then see if that can be nearby while you clip!

SteveD

Visit site
Ive clipped a few that have never been done before, and I agree patience is the main thing. For safety reasons I have clipped 1st timers outside with someone holding the rope (longer is better) through a ring, not tied, just so they feel the resistance if they pull back. That way if they mess about and get scared & bargey you dont get crushed up against a wall. Also make sure the clipper wire is well out of the way.
Start by just getting them used to the noise, and then hold the clippers against them so they get used to the vibration (without clipping), then when they are settled start clipping from the shoulder. Never clip a horses legs the first time he's clipped.

For some reason the frist time you clip a horse they can be really well behaved, but the second time they can tend to play up...Ive done several like this.

Also, unfortunatley some horses wont be clipped without a twitch or sedation...saftey for both of you is the most important

Hope it goes well...be safe!!

crabbymare

Visit site
Try to clip somewhere the horse is relaxed and confident even if that means messing the bed up and doing him in the stable! Make sure he is a little bit hungry as in not eaten for an hour or so and looking forward to food!
Stroke him with the clippers turned off, then step back and run them, stroke him with your hand and put the clippers on your arm so part of the vibration is taken by you and gradually put them nearer until you are stroking him in the opposite direction to if you were clipping. When he is relaxed clip.

You may be able to just get on with it, but they are the steps I go through if a horse is nervous.