Horses out in this heat?

Lotty

Visit site
I brought mine in yesterday as stable is lovely and cool, put her back out late last night.

She must have enjoyed it as she came to me today to come in.

Nailed

Visit site
Cato is in, she worked at 8 this morning, Was hosed off and ate her brekkie then had her fly sheet back on and went in her nice breeze stable until this evening..
All they do if they are out in this heat at our yard, is stand in the collecting ring area swishy flys away, not eating and getting grumpy.. In today for the girlies im afraid.

Lou x

Silverspring

Visit site
My Arab is out basking in the sun thinking that this is what it must have been like for her anscestors who lived in Egypt
laugh.gif

Jericho

Visit site
Mine are out, with access to field shelter and shade. No fly rugs / masks /sprays. We dont seem to have much of a fly problem here for some reason. I will of course put masks on and fly spray if they do start irritating the horses too much. Field shelter is big and cool and airy and the horses do spend most of the day in there.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
All out. It's what, 24 degrees at the very most?
confused.gif

No reason to keep them in.

Some shelter in some of the fields, and those who need fly rugs have them on.

Bug

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 with lots of shade or sun!
He is fly rugged and masked at night but just masked in the day

gekko

Visit site
Heat? HEAT??? ROFLMAO

Here it can be over 50* and you will see horses laying flat out in the sun when shade is freely available. The little bit of warmth you have isn't going to kill them!

As for rugs, honestly, unrestricted airflow is the better option!

Honeypots

Visit site
Tbf Gekko, horses in this country are not used to this sort of heat and therefore take a bit of adjusting but having said that...mine are out 24/7 whatever the weather and although they are hot, they are standing out in it rather than in the shade which I guess speaks for itself! A bit of sweat never hurt anybody I suppose....

Fairynuff

Visit site
welcome to my reality
smile.gif
. I live in Italy. Every summer is hot, at least 28 degrees. Today it is 32 in the shade and very humid. My neds go out at 5.30 and are at the gate wanting to come home by 10.30. They are more than happy to doze in their box till late afternoon when they are then hayed. Each box has an automatic anti fly spray that goes off every 8 minutes and there is a free flow of air next to their waterers (they are all stuck to it most of the day). Each horse has a salt lick in his manger and electrolytes are included in the evening feed. They are also hosed down when nec. Horses seem to cope much better than us and so long as they arent overly stressed, they survive very well. Its the flies and co who ruin the summer and so far, there is no answer
frown.gif
Mairi.

PopStrop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

crazy.gif
I'm in Northants and we've hit 34C this week. It's currently 30C in the shade.
crazy.gif

Daffodil

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7. Luckily at the moment they're in a field on top of a hill with lots of shady trees, which they stand under, with their eyes half shut swishing at each other's faces gently with their tails. They have their "sunglasses" on and lots of fly spray, but it would be much hotter and airless indoors.

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
Mine are both out 24/7 with field shelters - they are both turned out on hills so have a tiny bit of a breeze up the top and the stables get way too stuffy, they are wooden boxes with that black stuff on the roof!
Asked the woman in the tack shop about fly rugs today as I bought one for my youngster and she said they keep them cool, haven't tried it yet tho!

Faithkat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends where you are. The temperature outside today here must be in the 30's as it's currently 28.1 in my office and that's with all the windows and doors open and fans going.

My lot are out all the time, winter and summer, as I don't have stables but they have plenty of natural shelter if they want it but they seem to like lying in it:
Crashed.jpg

celia

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 with no field shelter although there are a couple of decent sized trees around the edge of the field for some shade. They're on the top of a small hill though so usually have a bit of a breeze and there's less flies than in a lot of places. My lad has a fly rug and full face mask (inc ears and nose) on but the two ponies just get fly spray on if there's a lot about. All perfectly happy!

daisalph

Visit site
Mine use their new field shelter a lot - its a great design with back openers the full length and stays wonderfully cool. They prefer it to being under the apple trees as flies don't tend to follow them into the shelter. It's been a fantastic purchase.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Pony is in during the day to keep her weight down. We have been bringing Murph in about 5 till it goes dark to avoid the worst of the flies/midges. However today he saw me come in at lunch time and came across the field and waited by the gate. He was very keen to come in and is now happily dozing in the stable .

Fairynuff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends where you are. The temperature outside today here must be in the 30's as it's currently 28.1 in my office and that's with all the windows and doors open and fans going.

My lot are out all the time, winter and summer, as I don't have stables but they have plenty of natural shelter if they want it but they seem to like lying in it:
Crashed.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you have as much grass as I do! My fields are yellow
frown.gif
. I bet some do-gooder reports you to the RSPCA for having dead neds lying around
laugh.gif
M.
smile.gif

D

Donkeymad

Mine are all out 24/7. One has a fly sheet which helps keep him cool (he is dark bay) and does not use his natural shelter. the other 5 have a large, airy, cool field shelter, but don't use it at all.

PS. 30 degress in the shade here today

DreamerII

Visit site
My boy is out with natural shade on 3 of the 4 sides of his field, he also has access to an open stable all day and night. He doesn't have a fly sheet or mask, but he is fly-sprayed to the hilt.

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
29 degrees here today, mine are out but ive left access to a stable they can go in, they use it most of the day, one in a fly rug, its too hot but its either that or bitten to hell, blood everywhere. Found 20 horse flies just on one side of his neck

Tormenta

Visit site
Out 24/7 but have access to natural and field shelter, fly spray, garlic and plenty plenty water. Mind you, they seem to only use the shade now and again and are quite happy to graze or snooze in the sun.

Faithkat

Visit site
They're not completely dead . . . this was a few seconds later:
Crashed2.jpg

For anyone concerned at the lack of grass . . . . they have been having two bales of hay a day and moving up to a new field tomorrow where the grass has now grown thanks to a bit of rain (and I've been watering)