Horses out on bridleway - what to do?

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
We have a few bridleways round us, none of which are much cop to be honest.

Some people have recently bought a house locally with some fields and one of the bridleways goes straight through one of the fields. It is just a nice loop to be able to do instead of riding down the road and having to turn round again.

Anyway, as is their right, they have turned 2 quite lively arabs out in the fields and when I rode up the other day to go through the field, I didn't feel it was safe to either ride or lead my horse through the field as the horses were going mad.

I don't want to cause trouble but I do want to be able to use the bridleway safely!! So what do I do?

Cecile

Visit site
Go and have a chat with them?

If I had just bought a place with a bridleway running through a field, mine would find it particularly interesting if ridden horses came through it, they may be monitoring how this will work or not work and may like your input

LaurenBay

Visit site
I would speak with the owners and share your concerns. I wouldn't be happy to ride through the field either, my mare doesn't particularly like other Horses.

MissTyc

Visit site
We have a few bridleways round us, none of which are much cop to be honest.

Some people have recently bought a house locally with some fields and one of the bridleways goes straight through one of the fields. It is just a nice loop to be able to do instead of riding down the road and having to turn round again.

Anyway, as is their right, they have turned 2 quite lively arabs out in the fields and when I rode up the other day to go through the field, I didn't feel it was safe to either ride or lead my horse through the field as the horses were going mad.

I don't want to cause trouble but I do want to be able to use the bridleway safely!! So what do I do?

Work on keeping your horse's attention on you; keep a contact and ride confidently. Your horse needs to learn that free-running horses in the environment are nothing to do with him. Can be easier said than done, sometimes, but if these horses have only just been turned out they'll probably start to settle soon.

& make friends with the owners of the horses and see if they follow routine you could work around?

We have to ride through a field of TB yearlings on one of our loops. Our horses have mostly learned to ignore them but I make a judgement call at the gate. If all looks calm, proceed with caution, don't pick up speed, politely speak to the horses if they approach. If they're running loops then I won't enter the field. Over the years I've had less trouble with these guys than with some of the conservation grazing ponies though, who can really mob riders near gates on the South Downs. And young cows when they're on the first spring grass.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Work on keeping your horse's attention on you; keep a contact and ride confidently. Your horse needs to learn that free-running horses in the environment are nothing to do with him. Can be easier said than done, sometimes, but if these horses have only just been turned out they'll probably start to settle soon.

& make friends with the owners of the horses and see if they follow routine you could work around?

We have to ride through a field of TB yearlings on one of our loops. Our horses have mostly learned to ignore them but I make a judgement call at the gate. If all looks calm, proceed with caution, don't pick up speed, politely speak to the horses if they approach. If they're running loops then I won't enter the field. Over the years I've had less trouble with these guys than with some of the conservation grazing ponies though, who can really mob riders near gates on the South Downs. And young cows when they're on the first spring grass.

Hmmm having seen how mental they were going, I wouldn't actually want to risk going through the field! Stampeding cows we can cope with. Horses - I'd rather not. And I ride on my own first thing in the morning so don't really want to attempt it in case of disaster striking.

Guess I'll have to go and see the owners.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
There is another issue regarding this and that is if the horses cause an accident or injure a member of the public or their animals then the owners may be held liable.

As far as 'Rights of Way' law is concerned the two horses could be deemed an obstruction to users of the right of way and your local access department at your county council should be contacted if you are unable to reach a compromise with the owners of the property.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
This reminds me of the time my friend used to hack her aged gelding through this bridlepath which crossed a field of cows with calves and always tried to stay a safe distance from them but the one day the calves curiosity took over and they were so close they were actually sniffing his bum. He took no notice whatsoever and just stuck his head down to munch the grass whilst they starting licking his quarters with their tongues! Weird animal!

ossy

Visit site
I’d speak to the rights of way officer in the council before I spoke with the land owners direct, thats their job and you never know how you’d be received by the land owner really.

JFTDWS

Visit site
This reminds me of the time my friend used to hack her aged gelding through this bridlepath which crossed a field of cows with calves and always tried to stay a safe distance from them but the one day the calves curiosity took over and they were so close they were actually sniffing his bum. He took no notice whatsoever and just stuck his head down to munch the grass whilst they starting licking his quarters with their tongues! Weird animal!

My old coloured cob used to be followed by curious cattle when we hacked through their field. They would do the same - lick and slobber on him, if they could get close enough. It was hilarious.

I'd probably be less amused by horses hooning about, I don't want anything getting kicked or cannoned into...

Dave's Mam

Visit site
The horses in the field prevented you from using the bridleway. They are therefore a "Psychological Barrier".

Speak to your local Bridleway Officer or Rights of Way Officer at the County Council.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve found fields of horses the worst to ride through. There is a real danger they will come over and have a go. I once rode through a field of a horse I knew and it came over and started to double-barrel the Horse I was riding. It was pretty scary.

Also I’ve been mobbed by horses walking on footpaths which I wasn’t keen on. I’d definitely be talking to the ROW officer at the council especially as you have such limited hacking. Or you could speak to your local BHS bridleways officer for advice if you have one.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
My horse is brilliant with general livestock but if a horse charged at him and tried to double barrel him with shoes on whilst I was riding or leading him through the field, that would be a different matter.

We do have another bridleway where there are 2 old retired mares out. They amble over to have a look at him but I generally just shoo them away or throw a bit of mud at their bottoms and they turn round and go on with their business.

The ones in the field we are currently discussing are fair livewires by the looks of them. I don't want to injure them or them injure us. I think it must be a real pain in the bum for people who live with public rights of way going through their land but I guess they knew that when they bought the place.

cauda equina

Visit site
I'd go and see the owners of the field first; dobbing them in to the council (if they see it that way) might make them your enemy for life
If they're unhelpful then of course talk to the RoW people

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've done it once when 'exploring' some way from home, about at the farthest point I didn't realise there was a herd at the other end of the field though only a couple were really problematic the rest held back. My pony was very very good about it but I wouldn't have chosen to ride through there again!

ironhorse

Visit site
Definitely worth a chat emphasising the safety of their horses as well - near to us the bridleway has been diverted about three times as the farmer has 'diversified' adding holiday cottages and a campsite; it now runs through a paddock with ponies in. I don't currently ride on it but when out walking have noticed that the people who have the paddock have electric fenced off about three quarters of it - the ponies are small so it's probably to restrict their grazing anyway - and the bridleway runs alongside.

Annagain

Visit site
We've done a fair bit of riding on the moors on Gower and there are always herds of wild ponies we have to ride past/through. A always wants to make friends with them - even with the tiny but very aggressive stallion who wanted us nowhere near his family. As he was rearing up and boxing at us, A was whickering at him and trying to get closer to say hello. When I finally convinced him to gallop away, the little stallion chased us for a good 500m and A kept trying to slow down for him to catch up with us. Too friendly for his own good!

Theocat

Visit site

It's not the horse you're sitting on that's usually the problem!

Suechoccy

Visit site
I'd speak with the field owners first, ask them for their advice on how best for you to ride the public right of way across their field while keeping safe from their horses. If they are helpful and work with you, all good. If they are resistant or rude, then keep your manners, come away and contact your local highways authority and BHS officer for advice.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
When I was doing my Rights of Way training, we did a lot about "Psychological barriers". Say for example when you are walking along a public footpath, and there is a gate. The gate is usually open & the path is welcoming. 2 days later, the gate is still open, but there is a sign that says "Keep out". You think twice, yeah? You know it is a right of way, but you might question your situation. "Why should I keep out? Is it dangerous?" So you take another route.
The psychological barrier just worked.

Now there are other issues with livestock in the field. The major one is that they are not classed as dangerous unless stallions, or until "proven so".

I would not go direct to the landowner. I was taught that you do not know what can of worms you may be opening. Go to your Rights of Way Officer, they are trained to deal with these situations.

Keep safe, good luck & feel free to PM if I may be of assistance.

Last edited:

Elsbells

Visit site
I always believed that if there is a barrier or obstacle, you have the right to go around it until you can safely return to the oath? Having said that though when faced with exactly the same situation as the OP, I've asked permission to use an alternative route with everyone's agreement, land agent and tenant farmer both. Maybe that's worth a try?