Horses - recognition of human faces research

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I saw this on COTH and thought it was worth posting here. :)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/horses-recognize-pics-of-their-keepers/

We recognize our friends’ faces. And we’re not alone. Many social animals can identify individuals of their own species by their facial features. That’s important, because they need to be able to adjust their behavior depending on who they encounter. And research has shown that some species of monkeys, birds and domesticated animals can even distinguish among different faces by looking at photographs alone.

Scientists have also wondered whether domesticated animals that have coexisted with people for thousands of years can recognize different human faces. For example, we’ve shared more than 5,000 years of our history with horses. Plus, they can live up to 30 years and may need to retain a great deal of information about us throughout their lifetimes.

Ethologist Léa Lansade of the French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and Environment did an experiment to find out how well horses can recognize individual people in photographs.

She and her team first taught the horses how to “choose” between two side-by-side images by touching their noses to a computer screen. The horses were then shown photos of their current keeper alongside faces of unfamiliar humans. They had never seen photos of any of the people before. The horses correctly identified their current keeper and ignored the stranger’s face about 75 percent of the time, significantly better than chance.

What’s more, the horses also preferentially picked photos of their previous keeper—a person they hadn’t seen in six months. In fact, even though the horses didn’t get it right every single time, they were at least as accurate in picking out their previous keeper as they were at identifying their current one. The findings are in the journal Scientific Reports. [Léa Lansade, et al., Female horses spontaneously identify a photograph of their keeper, last seen six months previously]

The results suggest that not only can horses differentiate between familiar and unfamiliar human faces, they intuitively understand that photographs are two-dimensional representations of real life without any other cues such as odor or sound. And they’re even better at this than our oldest animal companion: the domestic dog.

In addition, horses seem to have a robust long-term memory for human faces, consistent with their long life span and history of domestication. In future experiments, the researchers would like to test whether looking at photos of people that they have had bad experiences with in the past might cause horses to act anxious or even avoidant. So maybe think twice before doing anything at a stable that might give a horse a long face.

—Susanne Bard

Mule

Visit site
I saw this on COTH and thought it was worth posting here. :)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/horses-recognize-pics-of-their-keepers/

We recognize our friends’ faces. And we’re not alone. Many social animals can identify individuals of their own species by their facial features. That’s important, because they need to be able to adjust their behavior depending on who they encounter. And research has shown that some species of monkeys, birds and domesticated animals can even distinguish among different faces by looking at photographs alone.

Scientists have also wondered whether domesticated animals that have coexisted with people for thousands of years can recognize different human faces. For example, we’ve shared more than 5,000 years of our history with horses. Plus, they can live up to 30 years and may need to retain a great deal of information about us throughout their lifetimes.

Ethologist Léa Lansade of the French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and Environment did an experiment to find out how well horses can recognize individual people in photographs.

She and her team first taught the horses how to “choose” between two side-by-side images by touching their noses to a computer screen. The horses were then shown photos of their current keeper alongside faces of unfamiliar humans. They had never seen photos of any of the people before. The horses correctly identified their current keeper and ignored the stranger’s face about 75 percent of the time, significantly better than chance.

What’s more, the horses also preferentially picked photos of their previous keeper—a person they hadn’t seen in six months. In fact, even though the horses didn’t get it right every single time, they were at least as accurate in picking out their previous keeper as they were at identifying their current one. The findings are in the journal Scientific Reports. [Léa Lansade, et al., Female horses spontaneously identify a photograph of their keeper, last seen six months previously]

The results suggest that not only can horses differentiate between familiar and unfamiliar human faces, they intuitively understand that photographs are two-dimensional representations of real life without any other cues such as odor or sound. And they’re even better at this than our oldest animal companion: the domestic dog.

In addition, horses seem to have a robust long-term memory for human faces, consistent with their long life span and history of domestication. In future experiments, the researchers would like to test whether looking at photos of people that they have had bad experiences with in the past might cause horses to act anxious or even avoidant. So maybe think twice before doing anything at a stable that might give a horse a long face.

—Susanne Bard
Interesting

Equi

Visit site
Not sure if its is smell or sense of being or what but my spud absolutely hated someone at my last yard. she was a nice enough lady but she just put him on edge with her hovering and constant standing there. Eventually she became such a problem he needed to be twitched for the farrier who was very perplexed about why he had suddenly started being a total twat only when this lady walked by. He had not been bold before she came or since leaving that yard. She never did anything to him i 100% know that but he just bloody did not like her. any time he clocked her he would just start to dance and head toss and be a total twat to the point i would just need to let him leave the area. farrier still does someone at the yard and says she hasn't changed but none of the other horses seem to react like my little flower did hahah

Equi

Visit site
Added as a different post cause its worthy, a mare at my yard knows her owners feet. The top yard is sort of eye level to the windows in the bottom, and this mare nickers only ever for her owners feet passing the window. Its so cute and i always know when that person is about to come down lol

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I rented a field a mile or so as the crow flies from home when I needed extra grazing. My in foal mare would be at the gate when ever I drove the horsebox round the top of the hill. I could see her across the valley. She must have been so disappointed because I only visited her in the car!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Horses definitely recognise their own transport .
Fatty always whinnied when he saw the transport coming for him out hunting he knew the lorry and two different vehicles pulling the trailer .
I used to love it at least someone was pleased to see me .

Smiffypig

Visit site
Mine definitely recognise the car. I can see them as I drive up the main drive - by the time I get to the top yard they’re meeting me at the gate.

My welsh D gets incredibly confused if I’m at the stables with my niece, cousin and aunt - there’s an incredible familial resemblance, literally we look like the same person at 4 different ages.

He can cope with two of us but if all 4 of us are there he practically gives himself whiplash trying to keep an eye on all of us at the same time - he can’t fathom that we’re 4 people I don’t think.

McFluff

Visit site
Mine have all recognised my car.

I realised during lockdown that my boy associates the Defender with going out in the trailer. Pre lockdown it was the only time I took the Defender to the yard. I couldn’t work out why he was so excited when I started using it to get to the yard during lockdown (it’s the only driving we do so I alternate the cars to give them both a run). Poor scone, hopefully we’ll get out and about soon...

claret09

Visit site
i have had several people over the years say they know when i am going to arrive on the yard because my boy starts to fig-git apparently it is really noticeable that he knows i am going to arrive soon. this is not at a set time either because that can vary quite a bit day to day

Cloball

Visit site
mine always knew my car! She used to whinny for me as soon as she saw me...I know it’s probably because she associated me with food but still ? she used to come over to the gate at the field too if I pulled up. Clever things animals
It was very cute as I never fed her, I just went up to exercise and she was fed by the yard owner, and I only rode her for a few months at least.

J&S

Visit site
When I lived in central London I had two lurchers, mother and son. People at home said that the dogs could pick out the sound of my car from a long way away as they always knew in advance when I was coming home!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Years ago now I had an old pet ewe that always used to meet me at the gate as I pulled up in my car. The rest of the flock followed her. The day she died the flock came to the gate as usual but she wasn't there. Found her collapsed by the barn where she had started out to meet me thus triggering the rest of them to come. Next day no-one met me, they needed their leader.

Green Bean

Visit site
My mare recognises my daughter and I from quite a distance away in the paddock. If she is in her stable, I have a call for her, but there are often times when she has knickered before I have called her or am visible to her so assume it is the sound of me walking?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Years ago, sister and I called at a RS, after hearing from their neighbour that they might have a Clydesdale mare for sale. Owner wasn't there but a member of staff showed us the mare over the stable door and made an appointment for us to come and try her properly. The day we went back the mare called to us as soon as she saw us. Needless to say we bought her!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I often wonder why need such experiments... (rhetorical question please no need to answer).