Horses struck by lightening

fjudge

Visit site
Last night a couple of ponies were struck by lightening in the storm.

I am so very sorry to hear this, and especially to hear that pebberly pepperpot was amoung the few.

Was a brilliant pony and a horrid tragedy
frown.gif

carys220

Visit site
That's really sad, my first pony, the one in my avatar, was struck by lightening in her stable, there was a metal strip on top of the stable block.
frown.gif

Gucci_b

Visit site
Their is a post on here (posted last night) about "would you leave your horse out in a storm" and i for one would try to bring the horse into the stable as years ago i had a pony who got killed in a thunder storm. I loved that pony and I was so upset. But todays weather is so unpredictable at times. You can earth stables, just in case they got struck. I guess there are many opinion's on this subject

carys220

Visit site
You see, for the reason stated above I would always put my horses out in a storm. At the same time my pony was struck, another pony in the block got a serious leg injury from running about in it's stable and trying to escape.

I would much rather they were out were they could run about and be scared with less chance of hurting themselves.

kellyeaton

Visit site
how do horses get strukle by lighting what does it strike? is tin on a horse stable mental or not could that get struke?

Doublethyme

Visit site
Oh how very sad. I have a rather irrational fear of my horse being struck by lightening - even to the point I took her muzzle off last night as it has a metal clip! She doesn't have shoes at the moment or I would be worrying about those as well.

In or out - such a difficult one and not sure there is a right answer, just very sad and tragic when it happens.

ladyt25

Visit site
I would leave mine out to be honest. At the end of the day, what can you do. People get struck by lightning too. I think at the end of the day the horse wouldn't have known a thing about it. Of course it's distressing for an owner but I wouldn't have thought the incidences of horse struck are that high. It's tragic but it's nature isn't it. The best we can do is to limit the amount of 'conductors' in the area of a field/stables really. I recall hearing of lightning that killed several horses when it hit a watering hole they were drinking from. I mean, what can you do.

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
[ QUOTE ]
how do horses get strukle by lighting what does it strike? is tin on a horse stable mental or not could that get struke?

[/ QUOTE ]

anything can be struck by lightening, IIRC it's the metal shoes that cause the problem when a horse gets struck cos the lightening doesn't go to earth