Horses SUCK!!

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Saturday afternoon, headed up to the yard to help clip the horses. Got out of the car and saw Larry in the spare stable with two bandages on his left legs. At that moment I knew he'd done something stupid!

He'd had some sort of fight with a barbed wire fence (which will soon be removed). We think he rolled next to it and got tangled. Had a look over him and he had some superficial cuts to his legs but he also had a big cut on his sheath which looked bad so we had the vet out. Thankfully she said it should be fine and it should heal quickly without stitches but he's on antibiotics, bute and having two weeks off.

So Sophie offered for me to ride Bailey if I wanted. Went up today after work, brought him in and started grooming him. Looked down his front left leg and saw blood. Sigh. He has a cut on the outside on his coronet band. It didn't look great but not bad enough for the vet. So bandaged him up and gave him a bute.

Due to Larry being off we miss a sponsored ride and XC schooling and now I can't ride at all. :( Anyone have a spare horse?!

Larry's cut:
1390577_10202158486623694_1864607112_n.jpg

Saturday's bandages:
1379433_10202158487703721_891576080_n.jpg

Aaaaaand Monday's bandages:
1380812_10202174776590933_2064059050_n.jpg

p87

Visit site
These things always seem to happen at once, you'll go ages injury/illness free then all of a sudden they're all at it!

Hope they get better soon, that sheath cut looks awful, poor boy.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Ouch!!

Suggest you run a temporary line of electric fencing inside the barbed wire to keep them off it. An energiser unit has to be cheaper than calling the vet out.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Ouch!!

Suggest you run a temporary line of electric fencing inside the barbed wire to keep them off it. An energiser unit has to be cheaper than calling the vet out.

We've run a line of tape up the inside now, wish we'd done it sooner. We knew the fence was dodgy but they have such a big field we didn't think they'd bother with it. :(

Larry's sheath cut has begun to heal amazingly, the vet said it would but it's incredible to see. It's shrivelled right up and the swelling has gone right down. It's in a very similar place to where he was gelded and they don't stitch that wound and it heals well so fingers cross all goes well with this too. He's finished his antibiotics now (five day course) but still on bute for another week or so. His legs are healing well too.

Bailey's cut looks alright but the bandage came right off so we're just cleaning it and putting purple spray on it. He's on a bute a day too as he's lame, not sure if it's from the cut or not though!

Horses are such a nightmare!

Oldenburg27

Visit site
Ouchy I have a Larry and he did the same... He very nearly cut him self in half :( if you look in my picture you can see his scars (he did it before I had him) from the highest point on his flank right to his sheath bothsides, how he never got pts I will never know...

I think it's something in the name as my Larry 99.9% of the time makes me want to rip my hair out lol ( but he is my boy and I love him very much) let's say if we where married I would have divorced him a long time ago lol)

Hope your Larry recovers soon :) x x