Horses Sweating Loads

JessPickle

Visit site
Just a quick question really, do different horses just sweat more than others, and can a horse suddenly sweat more than they used to?

I ask as Pickle sweated loads after today's jumping, even though he should be pretty fit and my sisters horse who is relatively unfit in comparison didn't sweat up much at all. I don't think Pickle used to sweat this much!

I am probably just worrying for no reason
blush.gif

cokelly

Visit site
Yep different horses sweat different amounts! My horse sweats in hot weather doing nothing! My friends horse who is also a darkie NEVER sweats- like NEVER it's so odd! lol Must just depend of the horse!
laugh.gif

wildpoppywild

Visit site
my highland was sweaty the other day after gallopin about the field before she came in, plus it was very warm. ab's sweats alot when we're working hard

MegaBeast

Visit site
People will sweat more when they get fitter as their bodies get more used to exercise and better able to reduce body temperature with high levels of exertion so guess it'd be the same for horses. So sweating is actually a sign of fitness!

Tnavas

Visit site
Not so with horses!

Initially an unfit horse will have smelly frothy thick sweat. This is because there is breakdown of body fats - body gets hotter when unfit.

As the horse gets fitter they sweat less and the sweat is clear and no where near as smelly.

flowerlady

Visit site
Interesting reply from MegaBeast and Tnavas. I would have to agree with Tnavas I think on this one. The fitter the horse the less they will sweat when both doing the same excercise of course.