Horses that don't mind being left alone....?

soloequestrian

Visit site
How common are they? I've had three for many years so I can take one out and the others have company. My old companion-only horse has been on borrowed time for a while now so I tend to speculate about the future (hoping still the distant future) - it would be quite nice to have something that could be left alone and the other two go out together. Would it be easy to find one like that? It might be able to come as a companion rather than needing to do another job too...

rowan666

Visit site
I have two that couldn't care less when they are left alone and one that goes ape so they definitely aren't an impossible find. Maybe do a wanted ad and state you specifically need one that can be left for a short time

huskydamage

Visit site
My pony is not remotely bothered on her own. I have ridden her to my house and left her in the garden overnight before. There are no other horses nearby where I rent so when I ride one the other is alone. I only have 2. Unfortunately my horse is very clingy and makes a right fuss when I ride the pony. As time goes on she seems to improve though, less screaming snd galloping, now down to one neigh and a trot about. I don't think she'll ever be as good as the pony but I'm hoping she can learn to cope eventually

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have one that couldn’t care less and another who used to think his world had ended if the other one left. He’s better than he was and can now be turned out alone but if stabled will always have a tantrum and then eat with one eye and ear on the yard awaiting B’s return.

millitiger

Visit site
I currently have one who is fine left alone which is lovely.
He is happy to stay in his stable in the barn completely alone while I go hacking or even out in the lorry for a few hours with the other horse.

unfortunately the other horse is a complete pain in the bum about being left- he can’t be left in the field at all. He can cope now with being in the barn while I ride the other in the arena but I could never hack or go out in the lorry and leave him without risking injury.

I’ve had a mix in the past, they either seem fine or not and it doesn’t seem to relate to their confidence in any other area.

for example of the 2 above, the one that won’t be left is more than happy to hack for hours alone. While the one happy to be left, is a spooky ride at all times!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Blue lived alone for a while in the home before the home I bought him from. Sometimes, in the mornings, he'll be turned out when there aren't other horses visible, and he's fine with this if there is food. He doesn't love being left, but will settle after 5-10 minutes of calling.

I think there are companions out there that would cope with this or can be trained to cope with this.

Would the horse/pony be completely isolated with no other horses visible?

sjdress

Visit site
My mare will happily stay on her own, anywhere for any amount of time and is Never bothered about friends leaving her. she is miss independent with a very bold personality.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I have one who has never cared much about being alone, but did shout more at the yard he was least settled at.

Then I've had 2 others who said nope to being left alone initially. One jumped out and the other fencewalked badly. Both got over it with time, patience and understanding from both their end and mine.

I can't be doing with horses that go nuts if left alone for 2 hours whilst I go for a ride - so I teach mine to deal with it (in a nice and gradual way, where they end up feeling secure and comfortable being left). If it didn't work for a horse, I'd sell them as I am a 2 ish horse owner and don't want any of mine in a position where they HAVE to be with the other.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My old boy didn’t give two figs. My youngster neighs but doesn’t get too wound up. He’s actually better left alone in the stable block than he is in the hardstand or field ??‍♀️

Griffin

Visit site
My mare is happy to be left in a field or stable on her own. She will seek out company in a field for a scratch now and again but is otherwise quite solitary. She is happy as long as she has food and water.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks, sounds quite do-able then. All of my three current ones go nuts if left alone - two instantly, the old guy after about 20mins at which point he goes from totally calm to running through fences.

Coblette

Visit site
My pony doesn’t care in the slightest at being left alone, makes life a lot easier. My previous TB wouldn’t ever stay in a field on her own but would just about cope in a stable on her own

wills_91

Visit site
My old boy was fine out in the field alone if he was first out and would be fine for hours like this, however if someone else was out and came in his world had ended. ?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I've had two that didn't care.

My first pony was a very independent mare, happy to live alone and really didn't care much for other horses or what they did. She would happily leave the group out hacking too and was totally happy hacking alone.

Recently I had a companion pony from a rescue and made it clear non-clingy was my priority. He was an ex-feral who was gelded as an adult so needed a mare free home. He did like company, wouldn't have wanted to live alone full-time, but he was also quite happy to be left or put out alone.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Horses that don't mind being alone are extremely common and most of the ones who do mind can be trained. I normally have 2 horses, 1 is always alone when the other is ridden or taken somewhere.

Michen

Visit site
Depends on circumstance. Mine are fine left alone in barn at yard whilst other one goes hacking. But when I took them to vets the left one in stables (alone no other horses) whilst other one was in treatment room was really upset. Well, Bear was, as he went second whereas Bog was still sedated when he was left.

Either would be fine left in barn if other one was turned out but wouldn’t leave one in field alone (unless it was turned out alone but had company either side) when they are used to coming in together

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Mine is fine out by himself, but not if he is left by himself (he may bring himself back to the yard over the gate so not worth the risk of trying to train him when its easy to just bring him in then put him back out).

Of our herd of 6, 2 dont care, one will shout and have a bit of a hooley but will quiten down, horse above and 2 who cant be left alone and go mental if you try. These are the 2 we had on a more traditional yard for the first few years we had them where nothing was ever left out alone, so never had to get used to it.

All hack/come in alone quite happily. Odd creatures.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I've always had/trained them to be left alone. I guess it's easier at home than on livery, as you can suit yourself. I always have 2 (occasionally have had 3) and can leave one in the field, or on the yard, while the other goes out. I did once have one stressy one but even he settled. Once they realise it's not permanent they seem to get it. I make a point of leaving the younger one sometimes even though she does the majority of the work, just because it sets up good habits.

Pippity

Visit site
I wouldn't leave her alone for more than a couple of days, but she's generally perfectly happy on her own. The only time I've seen her get a bit stressed about it was when it was dark and very windy. Even then, all she did was stare a bit and trot towards me when I came to bring her in.

It's great that she's so sensible - it means she's always the first one the staff turn out and the last one they bring in, so she gets about an hour more turnout every day than the other horses!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I sometimes think my companion pony prefers it when we take both big horses away together. ? She gets some hay all to herself for a while and is happy as a pig in poop. Both the others could probably get used to it if needed but I don't just to avoid silliness. It's more fear of missing out on potential snacks than actually being lonely with those two.

scats

Visit site
Mine are happy left alone in the stable while I ride the other or go out in the wagon, but I wouldn’t leave them out in the field on their own.
In the stable they are totally chilled about it. I’m the only one in my barn so they can’t see any other horses or anything.

cornish1

Visit site
For those of you who have gradually trained your more concerned horses, how did you go about building up their confidence to address the issue? I'd love to hear what worked best for yours if you're happy to share (hope this is okay OP! Sorry to jump on thread!)

Jayzee

Visit site
The shetland is not bothered at all to be on her own, field stable
The young horse is ok being in stable with food, I don't fully trust her alone in the field as she would run around but would probably settle
The older mare will NOT be left alone, major melt down ensues