Horses that don't mind being left alone....?

paddy555

Visit site
all ours will stay alone, I don't train them as such but they all have to get the message very early on that they have to stay where they are put, field, yard or stable whether it is their stable or someone else's and there may be a horse in the next field or they may be the only horse out and everyone else is in.
If they are left in a stable for any period of time they get some hay but if only for a short time they may get nothing. Constant changing around I think has made them adaptable.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I'm on a big yard of around 40 horses and I believe our pony is the only one who can be turned out and brought in first or last and he doesn't care.

His field is in the best condition as he rarely hoons around.

He's genuinely a nice person to have around and very easy going.

They are out there!

AandK

Visit site
My late mare used to be a nightmare, but one day when I was catching them in (I used to pop her in the stable when I rode the other) she didn't want to be caught. I thought, she'll come when I get to the gate but she didn't. Kept stopping until I was out of view and she was still grazing, so from then on I left her, that was in 2011 ish. She'd have the odd day when she got upset (no pattern to it) but the last 3/4 years of her life she was solid. My 24yo is absolutely fine, he is very settled where we are, been at the yard 8.5yrs, and the only time he has been upset was the first couple of days after having my mare PTS. The almost 8yo is fine in the stable by himself, but I haven't tried him in the field yet.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
all ours will stay alone, I don't train them as such but they all have to get the message very early on that they have to stay where they are put, field, yard or stable whether it is their stable or someone else's and there may be a horse in the next field or they may be the only horse out and everyone else is in.
If they are left in a stable for any period of time they get some hay but if only for a short time they may get nothing. Constant changing around I think has made them adaptable.
This^^^^
I cannot have a horse that won't tolerate being on it's own, and never have had one because we don't pander to neuroses.

MissTyc

Visit site
Each of my three is fine as long as you turn it back out alone. If it's LEFT alone, then shouting ensues. But if everyone comes in and then one goes back out alone, it's fine.

tatty_v

Visit site
Mine cannot be left alone in the field, he just loses it and will stop at nothing (gates, post and rail, electric fences, double fences etc.) It’s actually pretty horrible to witness as it’s very extreme and he’s clearly exceptionally distressed. I got him at 15, he’s always been like it and no amount of conditioning or training has ever resolved it. I manage it as best I can as he is an utter legend in many other ways and is rock solid to hack and compete alone (weirdly!)

However, one of the criteria for our next pony is happy to be left alone for short periods! Thankfully the Shetland we bought to keep my boy company couldn’t give a fig who’s out with him or not ?

sportsmansB

Visit site
My last mare was completely unbothered, could live alone in the field or with loads of company, just not one bit worried. Was quite self confident generaly though, not scared of much
Current gelding would be a complete plonker, to the point of danger to himself.

Hallo2012

Visit site
we have only had 1 that really minds and a couple that semi mind.

current little stallion couldnt give a flying....kids pony gets more irate but just fence walks, nothing worse.

Melandmary

Visit site
I have been looking for the same thing and thankfully I have found one that was a field mate ofmymare's so I know she can stay on her own while I ride. Some of the charities actually state on the description of their rehoming profiles whether the pony can be left alo e for short periods which is helpful and I made sure I asked specifically for that when I was maki g enquiries

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
I've known plenty that are happy on their own.
Some were happy if left, others were happy out alone as long as I hadn't removed others from them.
Soo could pull in the 3 of them tack up 2 for riding and leading give the 3rd a quick flick and a carrot and turn back out alone no problem, but had I left the 3rd in field while I removed the 2 for exercise they'd have not been happy.

samleigh

Visit site
My mare is happy to be left in a field or stable on her own. She will seek out company in a field for a scratch now and again but is otherwise quite solitary. She is happy as long as she has food and water.

This is my mare completely, except maybe middle of winter, where her warm stable and haynet are, she will get jealous if her field mate comes in 1st, but just stands and sulks until I arrive, but its more about being peckish then being left alone.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I have a new horse who is clingy but stoic. He is kept alone (individual turnout if you like!) I was thinking of adding a companion but to be honest i think he would get stupidly attached. He is settling in nicely but was very vocal when out, even in company, if another horse passed us hacking he would call and want to go with that horse, regardless of being with two other hacking friends .. its a bit weird! I figure he's had an unsettled life and once he is settled he will be fine.
Strangely though you put him in a stable on his own and he is absolutely fine. It terrified me initially at the thought but no, he happily stands in all night munching hay.

Im with some of the others, i wouldnt have a horse if it couldnt be left alone or hack alone! Life is too short for that drama.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For those of you who have gradually trained your more concerned horses, how did you go about building up their confidence to address the issue? I'd love to hear what worked best for yours if you're happy to share (hope this is okay OP! Sorry to jump on thread!)

Time. Start short and leave it longer over a number of weeks. For a really bad one, start in a place where they can't hurt themselves. In the worst case I ever did that meant locking the horse into a stable with both doors shut. After about a month of daily training he could be left alone out in a field for as long as I was away hacking or competing the other.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think a settled herd and a settled yard environment can make a huge difference. There was one yard where Granny horse would happily stay in the field alone and other yards where that just wasn't possible (even with horses in the fields on both sides) and other yards where even being left in the stable was an issue. Oddly she was quite anxious when left alone her whole time with me but was the bravest and boldest horse about hacking out alone you could ask for.

Melody Grey

Visit site
We have three and actively do separate and together things with them in all different combinations- they’d each call if left but are settled and back to munching after a couple of mins. OH’s walks round the box a couple of times but that’s it. Before we had him, he used to be really attached to a pony and would try to climb the door, after him when left, so it’s curable!

foxy

Visit site
I am looking for a companion pony at the moment and in my ad have said they may be left for short periods on their own ....I have had quite a few people comment that I shouldn't be leaving any horse on its own!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am looking for a companion pony at the moment and in my ad have said they may be left for short periods on their own ....I have had quite a few people comment that I shouldn't be leaving any horse on its own!

Daft! You could ask them what they are going to do when the horse needs in patient treatment but it's the only one in the hospital at that time?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For those of you who have gradually trained your more concerned horses, how did you go about building up their confidence to address the issue? I'd love to hear what worked best for yours if you're happy to share (hope this is okay OP! Sorry to jump on thread!)

I usually have 2 here, either 2 ridden or a ridden and a companion. Not all have started fine on their own, but all have ended up bullet proof.

Firstly I establish ground handling habits. I am talking having focus on the handler to the exemption of other stuff. So, loads of intricate footwork, such as putting a foot in a drawn circle on the floor by requests rather than manhandling. Also being able to stand still with the handler for increasing lengths of time without pushing/pulling. I find that this does loads to help them be confident, as they are not the ones having to make decisions.

Once they are good at ground handling, you can separate them away. I fond that by taking them away initially, rather than them being the one who is left, softens the blow of being alone. Take them away, while they are away have someone take the other horse away, bring them back and they are alone, but still under your direction. Bring the other horse back before they are upset.

I increase the time alone until they can be put in a. stable alone and be happy, always bringing the other horse back before they are upset. If they get upset I would re-focus them in-hand. Once they are good, I would do the same in a field.

Once I know that I can re-focus, I would have them in a stable and remove the other horse. If you have done the job right, they won't get upset. If they do, then ground work them, put them back in the stable and work them some more until they are calm. The other horse doesn't come back until they are calm and eating hay.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, until the other horse going is a non-event.

I don't let the other horse back while they are being ninnys, at they seem to think that them running round like headless chickens brought the other horse back, so they will revert to that behaviour next time.

If you get their focus when working from the ground, this can be a surprisingly quick fix. When I was 'problem horse' training, I did one where the horse was about to be kicked off the livery yard, when I saw the state of the stable I could see why. Kicked out wooden panels, a bent grid over the door. The horse had become terrified to be in the stable at all, never mind when no-one else was there. By that stage, entering the stable was a no. Apparently, if you got her in, she would rush back out even knocking people over.

We chose a quiet day, other horses in the field but not on the actual yard, started with ground work within sight of the horses. Then leading, then same on the yard out of sight of horses, then front end in the stable and reverse, until the horse offered to go in the stable. Then back out, then increasing time in the stable, still under direction of the handler. Then increasing difficulty, until the door could be shut momentarily, then door shut with handler outside momentarily, back in and remove horse again...

That was if for one day, but the owner continued daily (bless her, a 15yo who had saved her pocket money for my not inconsiderable fee, as she knew she would lose the horse otherwise) and within a couple of weeks even the psychotic TB ex-racehorse, who was injuring itself could be left.

They key was in the quality of focus on the handler, leading the horse to believe that someone was in charge IMO. The focus stopped the horse following a line of thought all of its own. But, the initial handling was done where the stress was less, on the yard just outside the field where her mates were.

The final success was all down to the owner though. She did the homework and thoroughly deserved her successes.

SOS

Visit site
Mine have all been okay alone. They have to learn to be. As in a horses life time you can’t predict it will always have company. Whether they are on box rest on a livery yard or staying away at a show or waiting on the box between classes or even in my case my transport broke down outside a friends farm so they had to be left in an old stable there for the night. As long as they have hay they seem to settle fine.

I avoid leaving mine out in the field alone if I can but that’s just personal preference.

Auslander

Visit site
I'll probably regret saying this now, but I currently only have one who would go nuts if she was left alone (mentioning no names Bernster!) All the other mares are very independent/food obsessed! The boys are all ok with their field mates leaving - a couple of them call a bit, but there's no drama.
The 30 yr old TB probably wouldn't care if he never saw another horse again...

Annagain

Visit site
Archie and Monty are fine both in the stable and the field. M doesn't even notice, A will stand at /near the gate and wait but he'll wait very patiently without getting stressed. So far, Charlie has been fine for a few minutes if he's last one in or out but I've not needed to leave him for any longer yet. I bring him in on his own to ride but he hasn't needed to 'stay' on his own.

Visit site
How common are they? I've had three for many years so I can take one out and the others have company. My old companion-only horse has been on borrowed time for a while now so I tend to speculate about the future (hoping still the distant future) - it would be quite nice to have something that could be left alone and the other two go out together. Would it be easy to find one like that? It might be able to come as a companion rather than needing to do another job too...
My old cob used to be totally happy on his own,he enjoyed the others being around,but never bothered if he was left alone,they are out there,just rare!

fiveleafclover21

New User
Visit site
I think most horses can learn to be alone for a short time - my mum just has the two and so one is left while the other goes out hacking etc. I think most of them get used to it eventually!