Horses...why do we do it??

xDundryx

Visit site
Haven't really posted on here in ages just been lurking however needed a bit of a rant, so last weekend in the space of 2 days I lost my ginger ninja and my 'youngster' 7yo ex racer threw a splint and is considerably short in trot. Talk about double whammy :( to go from having 2 horses to 1 dead and one lame in a weekend is cruel luck. My youngster is a lovely 16 1hh ex racer, I got him in December after he had 8months turned away after racing. He's a really chunky strong little TB with a nature to die for he was lightly flat raced and used to nanny the babies on the yard. Since I got him he's been eased into work with lots of hacking thrown into the mix along with flat work and teaching him that thing called jumping which he seems to enjoy (cleared 1m on the lunge and 80cm with me on board at home) We had just started getting out and about a couple of clear round x pole jumping comps and our first 'proper' jumping class (only 60cm) but came away with a 3rd. He also did his first ever dressage 3 weeks ago and was a star, 62.5% in the intro and 65.5% in prelim, 2 3rd places and lovely comments and excellent marks for our straight entrance, square halts and walk work. I've been so careful at all stages not to push him or thrash him, he's only ridden 4-5 max times a week and never beasted on hard ground. All in all I think you get the picture that he is a total gem and an amazing find, I was offered him, agreed on the basis of a couple of videos and drove 4.5hrs to pick him up there was just something about him. So all was going well until last weekend :( he's now on total rest and I'm going to pen off a little bit in the field as opposed to box rest as he tends to have the odd mad 5 minutes in the field with his buddies which won't help his leg. I've got some splintex gold to try as its already cold with no pain to the touch and a few people on the yard recommend it. And we both miss the ginger terribly, it's a bit raw ATM so gabbling about the youngster takes my mind off it. Good vibes please, 5am milk and cookies for anyone who managed to read the blurb! Loz x

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
So sorry you lost your boy.
Your ex racer sounds wonderful. So sorry he is off games as you really need some quality horsy therapy just now. Hope he gets better v soon. X

Spilletta

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your loss but hope all comes well with your TB - he sounds lovely and I look forward to seeing photos (sorry can't help on posting them!) Sometimes wonder why we do put ourselves through it with horses but can't imagine life without them. Good luck.

Bluesmum

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your ginger. :-(
Sounds like you and your racer have been doing great things! And I am sure you will again soon. Sending healing vibes your way and his. I am sure it's just one of those things, so please stop worrying about if you could have done things differently.
I haven't got a clue how to post pictures, I'm afraid. .. but would love to see them!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I really feel for you xDundryx - not least because I lost a divine 5 year old a couple of weeks ago. He STARTED needing surgery for a twisted gut (in an odd place) and it turned out he had an incredibly rare problem (small colon dysmotility) - THAT killed him 2 weeks later and there was nothing we could do.

Putting up photos - the photo HAS to be on the net - one of the things I don't like abut HHO because it slows people down. There are a couple of sites on the net where you can post photos - don't know about those because I have my own sites. When you have done THAT, all you have to do is use

Raj.jpg

Flame_

Visit site
The good times make it worth it, op. They'll come around again xx

I lost my perfect-to-me 9 yo to colic a couple of weeks ago and am totally horseless for the first time in nearly 25 years. It stinks and no horse could have deserved it less, but at least we had 5 awesome years. I'm desperate to find another horse, it won't be the same as my last boy, it will break, it will suffer all the stupid, rare and common, unimaginable issues horses seem to suffer from no matter how hard you try, and it will probably die before its 15 but so be it. We do it because when things are going well, its pure happiness.

Flame_

Visit site
Aw, your ginger boy looked so much fun, great photo and good memories for you!

Your younger will be back on the road in no time and good to go for next season. Hope you put up some pics when you get going with him again.

xDundryx

Visit site
That's awesome thank you JanetGeorge! I'm a computer biff! And that is my gorgeous cheeky monkey with his white splodge and cheeky face �� x