Horses with sticks

Thembu

Visit site
Hi, I'm just wondering does anyone else horse/pony plays with sticks. One of my ponies always seems to have a stick in his mouth when he's out in the field and trys to tease the other horses with it and pushes it at their faces, just like a dog would do. :rolleyes:

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Hooray! I thought it was just my daft old TB who did this! He spent ages "teaching" my cob the "stick game". They will pass it to one another, and generally mess around, and its so funny to watch! When I had him at a previous yard, he tried hard to "teach" the other horses to play. I think some of them thought he was a bit crazy! It does make him very endearing though!

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Yes. And buckets. My rubber buckets are fine because my two are not interested in them when they are empty, but YO has a gelding and a donkey who delight in picking up the buckets in their paddock (maybe 9 horses/buckets) and bashing the living daylights out of each other with them!

Usually donkey picks up a bucket and 'offers' it to the gelding, who makes a grab for it. If he misses, donkey bashes him with it until he tries again. If he DOES get hold of it, gelding shakes his head up and down and then flings the bucket as far as possible...meanwhile donkey has selected another bucket and it all starts again :D

cob&onion

Visit site
My welsh D yearling has got a thing for rubber buckets and fly masks!! as soon as i put his mask on he runs to his companion and companion undoes the velcro with his mouth and pulls it off!!! then welsh picks it up and runs round with it in his mouth!!!
Said cheeky companion also pulld electric posts out the ground with his teeth then walks over the tape when its on the floor!!!

Thembu

Visit site
This little one too likes buckets, he gets his tea in his stable, he will eat it all but a tiny amount, at which point he lays down and licks his bucket clean, then proceeds to put his head in the bucket and roll with the bucket on his head!!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
My lad loves sticks of any kind, especially the pooh scooper and stable tools. He swings them from side to side and works up faster and faster until he lets go and it flies off. Our YO's OH could not understand how his tools were ending up over the other side of the barn when he was mucking out until he saw Cappy doing his trick. He has also started dumping his bucket in his next door neighbour's stable when he has finished. I have also seen him trotting round the field with a stick in his mouth, like a dog.

FDC

only_me

Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bwkxw6-BE8

My horse plays with anything :rolleyes: I found him in the field yesterday, having pulled out the dead long stemmed plant from under the hedge and was twirling it around :p

He loves chewing brushes, which unfortunatley is not a cheap hobby, already I have replaced 3 yard brushes :eek: I cannot leave anything in chewing distance!!

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
im glad other horses do this :p i was at work and went to get one of the showjumpers and he had not a stic more of a small log in his mouth and had the cutest innocent face lie he'd been caught doing something very naughty i only wish i'd had a camera

Apercrumbie

Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bwkxw6-BE8

My horse plays with anything :rolleyes: I found him in the field yesterday, having pulled out the dead long stemmed plant from under the hedge and was twirling it around :p

He loves chewing brushes, which unfortunatley is not a cheap hobby, already I have replaced 3 yard brushes :eek: I cannot leave anything in chewing distance!!

Bless! I love the background music - it goes very well :D

jinglejoys

Visit site
DonkeyplayMarch2011005.jpg

My boys are forever playing with sticks(girls don't bother)

only_me

Visit site
Aww, I wish I had the camera with me - have just gone out to see the billy-o-saurous, who has been playing with the donkeys :p :D
Very funny to watch!!