Horses with ulcers! How do you feed and manage yours?

Charmin

Visit site
She's on working nuts, dengie hi-fi and oats in the summer for an added sparkle. She's out 24/7 anyway and has access to haylage in the winter.

I'm completely new to this and not sure what to change her to. No cereal I understand, and little starch? But she holds her weight very well (perhaps a little too well) so nothing that would cause too much weight gain.

She gets a net of haylage before being ridden anyway.

Just not sure what to feed that won't break the bank. Any supplements that people would recommend?

ecrozier

Visit site
Mine just has fast fibre and hifi molasses free - supplement wise I am just about to try the EquineScience one as read good reviews and he doesn't like the taste of the one from the vet - leaves bits of feed if he can tell where it is! Also lots of high fibre forage, preferably ad lib, and I know some people give a small chaff feed before riding too. Has she been scoped/had a course of gastroguard?

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Mine was treated with gastrogard for ulcers last year and has since been scoped clear. I maintain on hifi molasses free and fast fibre and I used feedmark gastric comfort. I would also recommend protexin acid ease. The biggest thing I changed tho is that he now lives out 24/7 on good but scrubby grazing. This seems to be really helping him.

fusspot

Visit site
Mine cannot live out but I make sure he has access to hay at all times,feed he is on Hi Fi Molasses Free,Hi Fibre Nuts,Lo Cal Balancer with a splash of Oil which the vet was pretty adamant he should have.I do make sure he has half a scoop of chaff about 30mins before I exercise and this does def help.