Horses & working away?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm looking for people's experiences please. Those of you who have horses and work away, either lots of overnight stays away from home or even periods of time away internationally (though I don't suppose it matters where you're going, periods of time away are just that, wherever you are, you are still not at home!). How do you make it work with horses? Do you manage to continue competing when you are at home, along with putting in training in between comps? How do you fit the rest of your life in too?

I may have the chance of my job changing to include quite a bit more international travel (currently work from home, usually travelling 3 days per week but always home at night). Great opportunity, more money, really good chance to advance my career thinking in the long term. But means a lot less horsey time. I'd rather not sell horse, though could consider getting a sharer. Or maybe it's best to just bite the bullet, sell horse, then there is no need to worry about making sure you get everything done...? Horse can go on full livery mon-fri so no issues there.

CBAnglo

Visit site
I travel for work and I do spend a lot of time at work (sometimes 3 days in a row) and there can be weeks when I wont see the horses at all. There are also certain periods when I am not allowed to ride (for fear of hurting myself) or I wont jump/hack/ride the sharp one. I don't compete because of this - there just isn't any point, there is no consistency at all. I didn't ride for a 3 month period once as I had been working for about 3 weeks straight and then got to the yard to find I had nothing to ride. Wasn't allowed to ride the sharp one, the ground was not suitable for the arthritic one (and I don't take him into the school now) and the youngster had thrown a shoe. Made me wonder why I spend so much keeping them I have to admit ...

But I love them and besides I cant sell two of them (the broken ones) so I guess its only the 3rd one where I have an option. It does make it tricky sometimes which things likes vets etc when I just cant get away from work - one of mine needed steroid injection topping up and had to wait 2 weeks before I could take him. Of course emergencies are different. And my sister shares the horses with me, so she does the bulk of the work otherwise no, I wouldn't have a horse right now. All of my annual leave is actually used to spend more time with the horses!

CBAnglo

Visit site
No; but I don't think that has to do with the horses (well, not solely).

If you really like your job/career then I guess you make it work. I absolutely hate my job however I have to do it so that one day I can buy a house with land and keep the horses at home. The horses (and my other financial responsibilities) are actually the reason why I drag myself in every day, but sometimes I do wonder what the point is though, especially when I have had a bad/frustrating week. I am about to go to Asia for 3 weeks and I am so annoyed about it. horses are just going well, I had started getting my youngster fit enough to take him hunting and now I am going to be back to almost square 1 after he is a field potato for 3 weeks.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks. Sorry to hear you dislike your job so much, that must make it really difficult :(

I am hoping I won't be in that situation. International travel isn't ideal TBH and BF is quite unhappy about the prospect but sometimes needs must for a few years. Am just trying to decide if the best way forward is trying to keep horse on full livery with schooling, full livery but with a sharer doing some riding and yard doing a day or two of schooling, or just to sell him. Would rather not the latter though as he's my horse of a lifetime!

WelshD

Visit site
I spent eight years working away Mon-Fri and three of those were while living in the country with a smallholding (the ponies came later)

It was very hard work ad I missed home but I got to work on some really interesting projects, stayed in some lovely places and worked with some wonderful people from all over the world

My husband held the fort in the week and I took over at weekends, it was difficult for him as the animals and the country dream was mine not his but we coped. While working in South London for a period of time I commuted home to the Midlands by car quite a few days in the summer, it was tiring but lovely to be home more than usual

I was made redundant a few years back and am now home every day and although I miss my 'former life' I am miles happier and so is my husband

I dont regret it all for a minute but do think there is a finate amount of time that you can keep all of the plates spinning

CBAnglo

Visit site
I am always running around and short changing people. I have cancelled so many times/brought work to dinner (yes, I marked up a document at the table and was on the phone to my secretary whilst my companion sat and drank a bottle of wine which I couldn't touch), missed the second half of a play (left companion sitting on his own) whilst I was on the phone to my secretary (sort of spoiled the evening). The worst thing ever was standing up someone at a restaurant - he waited two hours as I promised him I would only be another 10 mins.

I resent doing anything with people on the weekends as it is my only horsey time. I used to spend a week away every couple of months and it was awful. I was working in Derby once for a week and hadn't been home for 10 days; I actually left after a client dinner (not drinking) and drive hime (got in at 2am) so I could sleep for a couple of hours and go to my lesson the next day.

Not seeing them does get to me. Sometimes I get up at 4am to drive out to see them for the 3 mins it takes to turn them out and then drive back home to get into the office. And I take lots of half days so I can go up and see them. I do over compensate by buying them lots of things and trying to spend as much time with them as possible.

The worst time was when my horse of a lifetime was diagnosed with arthritis and for all intents and purposes retired at 6 yrs old. I was so upset that I had basically done nothing with him for 2 yrs because I had been too busy working (I used to get to the yard and ride at 10pm) and sometimes I wouldn't see him for weeks as I worked a lot on weekends. I really regret not having spent more time with him and doing stuff together. I didn't actually have another proper ridden horse again for about 4 years (just my retired chap and my semi-retired chap) and 2 years ago I bought another 4 yr old. Again I have done nothing with him.

HOWEVER I do know lots of people who manage to work in the City, have a husband and children and a horse and compete to a high level. I am in awe. I do know that they have very supportive OHs who don't mind holding the baby and they do have to be on full livery. And they don't have to travel to see the horses like I do. You can make it work, you just have to be really strict with your time and have help/support. I am really lucky I have my sister who shares the horses with me, but again she works FT so is always running around too (but she doesn't work away like me).

Tobiano

Visit site
I work away from home most days most weeks. My horse is basically on full livery and I pay to have him schooled and hacked out during the week. I am old, scared and pretty useless as a rider so I dont compete (unless you count local prelim dressage and 40 cm xc!) but we do pleasure rides and are attempting to follow the bloodhounds - we usually do something most weekends. I dont have an OH any more (too much work and horses!) so its basically a case of paying for horse care. As I say I dont compete but would have thought that as long as you keep yourself and your horse fit during the week you could still go out and compete at weekends - as long as the OH doesnt mind!
Like others, I work so I can afford to pay for the horse - and to save up so I wont always have to work!