Horses4Homes - they don't check references

vam

Visit site
This is quite a useful thread for me as i may have to loan mine out at somepoint as a hack. To be honest im dreading it, while i know there are people out there that would want him as a hack , i have no idea on how to find them and to do it safely other than word of mouth. I guess i here so many horror stories that it puts me right off, its something i would like to explore for him but the last thing i want is for anything bad to happen.
Its nice there is a site that does it properly and hopefully put off the unsavoury types. Will look into it more when the time comes i think.

Nitro mouse

Visit site
My friend has just taken on a 22 year old horse as a safe hacking companion so she can ride out with her daughter, via this place. A BHS Welfare officer came out and did the home check.... Stunning horse, from a much loved home sadly health issues meant the owner had to give him up. Seems like a perfect solution for everyone involved!

horselover88

Visit site
This is quite a useful thread for me as i may have to loan mine out at somepoint as a hack. To be honest im dreading it, while i know there are people out there that would want him as a hack , i have no idea on how to find them and to do it safely other than word of mouth. I guess i here so many horror stories that it puts me right off, its something i would like to explore for him but the last thing i want is for anything bad to happen.
Its nice there is a site that does it properly and hopefully put off the unsavoury types. Will look into it more when the time comes i think.

I have had a nosey on horses4homes out of curiousity before. Sensible to get potential applicants donating to avoid ulterior motives, but sad to hear they don't pre vet all applications for owners.

Vam- there are good loan homes out there! Advertise in any horsey space you can and through word of mouth. Any loaner worth their salt will be happy to visit your horse a few times, to give references, to sign a contract, and should allow you to visit horse in new home- especially during first few months. I would also make an unexpected check- just to ensure all was well when they were not expecting your face to appear! Speak with Yard Owner too about routines, other liveries where they wish to keep your horse etc- it helps get a clear picture. I added my loaners on facebook even before meeting them (good chance to vet if they were genuine too)- sounds silly, but I can see any uploads and updates on my horse- keeps me in the loop without being in their face.

I managed to find a loan home for my horse and have been really lucky with my situation. Like you I was terrified to take the plunge and I did have many people who I could write off without even seeing due to their total lack of ability to read the ad! PM if you want to know more :)

rachyblue

Visit site
Seeing as that's my horses' advert that was linked to at the beginning, I will share my experiences with them...

We have been through the loan cycle once, and he is returning due to a change of circumstance of his loaner (it's not for me to share why but no fault of either her or the horse)

As someone mentioned, I added him with a minimal donation, and was asked to up it, as this would bring more money in to the charity (yes it's a charity, with Carl Hester as patron). I had about 6 apps, but most people messaged first to ask a few questions, this is allowed.

Three people visited him, and I visited all 3 (although they can provide a BHS welfare rep if distance is an issue), and decided on the one. It was a very easy process and they help with drafting up all the legal agreements (one of the founders is a solicitor). They will do CRB checks but it is up to you to check on references, which I think is fair enough.

We were done and dusted within about 6 weeks from me advertising him to him going to his new home.

My reasoning for using them was it was my proof that is was a loan, there were proper records of all the agreements, they couldn't say they hadn't had paperwork etc.

She has done amazingly well with him and I think we're all gutted that it hasn't worked out, but I'm happy to repeat the cycle.

NicandLiv

Visit site
I bought my mare from Horses4Homes. I got her for £125 donation to the charity, and she came with all her tack and a load of rugs, feed, extra equipment etc. The problem I had really, was that they don't go and check the horses for themselves, so the horse was described as very sensitive, unable to hack out by herself, scared of her own shadow, very green, bucks, kicks, rears. (She sounds lovely, no?) Anyway, I ended up going meeting her, and moment I laid my eyes on her I said "I must have her". I took my friend who has owned horses all her life and knows my capabilities so I didn't go with rose tinted glasses. She didn't buck, she let out a tantrum kick. She didn't rear, she threw her head up in the air when you went to check her teeth. Upon hacking out alone (well with owner walking behind) the owner was constantly "it's okay it's okay love it's fine it's okay" which panicked the horse. She planted, let out a little kick but gave in to more pressure and carried on. Most of her description was down to the relationship she had with her previous owner. I have never owned a horse before and only started to learn how to ride on a loan pony 5 weeks prior to buying her. HOWEVER H4H did have concerns, they checked two different references from people I knew, also my riding instructor etc. It was up to the owner to check where she was going, and to also ring around references, we didn't go for a CRB check.

All in all she turned out to be a good pony, we're having a bit of a rough patch at the moment, but I've never felt out of my depth, and never felt in danger. She has her moments for sure, she has enough oomph in her to teach me a thing or two, but sensible enough that I won't dramatically hurt myself on her.

Then there's another lady, who I know who applied for this pony and got turned down because she wasn't experienced enough. She has been riding for 3 years and has owned a pony for the past year. She got a horse that was described as a good ride for a confident novice. The horse since has knocked the new owners confidence due to some nasty falls and the pony not being very cooperative. A bit unpredictable, I think if I rem,ember correctly she bucked the rider off and she really hurt her shoulder.

So, I think they need to be checking the horses for themselves really, and having someone ride the horse and give an outside description really of the horses. This I doubt will be possible due to all the horses they get on there and locations.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
the horse was described as very sensitive, unable to hack out by herself, scared of her own shadow, very green, bucks, kicks, rears... ...I have never owned a horse before and only started to learn how to ride on a loan pony 5 weeks prior to buying her.

I was considering using this site but definitely won't after reading this 'positive' review. It would have been interesting to know how they are doing now and if it is a case of green-on-green=black-and-blue.

NicandLiv

Visit site
She is amazing. Hacks out like a pro by herself. Have done solo hacks up to 28 miles across various terrain. Have taken her to dressage and done up to novice, sj clinics, le trec, showing where she did very well but wasnt my scene. Did a sponsored ride and we just went hell for leather through it, she is so much fun its untrue. One in a million pony :)

NicandLiv

Visit site
11754483_10207758132533628_6293146508033106221_o.jpg

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Nice girl. You have been very, very lucky it has turned out positively. I still stand by my assertion that I won't be using them because of them homing a bucker/rearer to someone who has only been riding 5 weeks.

It seems odd they'd think someone with 5 weeks experience was more suitable than the person who'd previously owned their own horse. Glad it worked out for you, but am somewhat alarmed H4H thought a horse advertised as you describe would be suitable for a novice.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I went to view a mare on long term loan, I drove 2 1/2 hrs and booked a night at a B&B so I could see her more than once and catch her in and see her on my own the following day. Booked a vet but sadly she failed the vetting. I did see she is still on there and not taken down, even after she failed the vetting for me, which is a shame as she was a nice mare.