horsey dilemma

lucky7

Visit site
I have a horsey dilemma!

Okay so not wanting to make any rash decisions as i am 38 weeks pregnant so could party be reason for my dilemma! (hormones)

I have 2 horses, a welsh D who is 5 - backed in his 3rd winter turned away, brought into work last may - october then turned away again due to pregnancy. In the time he was working he was hacking out alone, learning the basics in the school and did a few showing classes. Nothing major. Proving to be a good boy. He wintered out but not very well, he looks a bit on the thin side now and still looks like a gangly baby. Also he is 14.3hh and was hoping he would chunk out alot as i am tall and although don't look huge on him i would like to have a bit more horse underneath me.
Horse 2 - coloured cob mare. An absolute saint, anybodys ride. 7 this year. She had an injury at the end of 2013, resulted in stifle surgery in jan 2014 - not been touched since as recommended she had a good year out. As far as i can see in the field she looks very sound now so fingers crossed am hoping to restart her in July.
What i am after - an easy horse i feel safe on, hack out alone on (both tick these boxes), do some dressage AND DO WELL! ideally want something i can work up the levels with and have fun on the way - This is my real passion i think - cob isnt really dressage orientated and needs alot of work - unfair to expect to much off her especially since surgery - too early to tell with the welsh as done so little, a bit of jumping (cob can jump) , clinics, local shows etc
Now they are both kept in a field my OH and his dad jointly own. His dad has a terrible hoarding condition and after 6 years of me keeping horses down there has decided to *move in* he has a caravan, 3 old cars and a load of tat basically in a sectioned off part of the field. Its an absolute eyesore. He wont move it, and now he's moaning about my horses being there!!
Basically its far too stressful being there with this man who i have little time for anyway - everyday there is some new sort of old vehicle/trailer/boat (yes really) he has bought and dumped.
So, its kind of pushed me into making some decisions regarding my horses.
There is a lush livery yard next door but its £70 PW so i would only be able to comfortably afford 1 horse there. Its a great yard, i already know everyone i used to work there it has fab facilities and is just perfect.
This is the hard part.
*I don't want to sell the cob!!
*I really want a little lorry!!

Plan a - After having baby i will be looking to start working the horses again July. Gives me plenty of time to recover from the birth (providing no c-section, its baby 4) keep both horses where they are for now - providing the cob mare IS indeed sound - invest time and help with the welsh D and aim to sell him in the September when he's looking good again and back in work - put proceeds toward a nice little lorry and move the cob to the livery yard and just have the one horse (realistically will only have time for one) maybe won't be able to go down the dressage route and not entirely sure how sound she will be until vet comes out to re-asses. What if she goes lame again??

Plan b - Providing the cob is sound again - sell them both in the september and put the money toward something more athletic for dressage but still ticks the other boxes) and keep this on the livery yard

plan C - keep the cob, put her out on loan or get a sharer - put proceeds of welsh sale toward another horse that i can do dressage with.

Plan D - keep them both on field as they are now, bring both back into work, get a sharer and see how they go then maybe re-asses the situation next spring??

Any ideas??!!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Plan D sounds good. Don't do anything irreversible while your hormones are all over the place.

Polos Mum

Visit site
This close to having a baby I wouldn't be making any decisions - the next month or two could well change your views on stuff - both sound like they won't be harmed by a bit more time off and when you're back on your feet you can sensibly plan your next move.

tashcat

Visit site
D, but review the situation in September time, and see if perhaps part of plan A could work: i.e. selling the welsh and moving to the livery.

Agree with Polos mum about the baby changing things.

Just keep moving forward with both horses and their condition, attitude to work etc will help you make the best decision regarding what to do with them.

Buying a new horse is a nice idea, but by far the most stressful and risky option, so really think about it before going for it.

Keep us updated :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Chances are you may decide to sell them and not replace straight away. It sounds like you aren't that attached to either of them and neither are exactly what you want. When you are shattered and short for time those feelings will likely intensify. Assuming this is your first baby?

rowan666

Visit site
plan D, dont do anything rash while you have baby brain and as you will already know things are so stressfull with a new baby as it is without the added pressure of living with a decision you may regret and/or getting to grips with a new horse plus keeping them in a field will be much less hassle with a new baby for the time being unless you are very lucky and have lots of support and wont have to lug a new born down to a busy livery yard everyday

lucky7

Visit site
Chances are you may decide to sell them and not replace straight away. It sounds like you aren't that attached to either of them and neither are exactly what you want. When you are shattered and short for time those feelings will likely intensify. Assuming this is your first baby?

baby number 4 :)

I have a bit of support at home so would have approx 2 hours to see to the horses everyday :)
I have a 11 and 10 year old who are at school and a 2 year old who goes to nursery most days. Also lucky enough to work from home being self employed (Y)

I am very much looking forward to when i can ride again :) can't see myself selling them and being without a horse

Last edited:

Dubsie

Visit site
With Plan D can you suggest to your OH you permanently nicely fence off the bit for his Dad so as to give him his own space/tidy it up for you - but word it as keep OH's dad's stuff safe from your horses rather than the other way round?

Pilib

Visit site
Having almost made a terrible mistake by selling what is now my horse of a life time while I was hormonal and pregnant I would say are wait until the baby is born and reassess!
Luckily a combination of my best friend telling me I was being an idiot and a horrible local bully spreading lies about the horse meaning I couldn't sell him locally stopped me!!
I still need to thank the bully as the horse has turned in to a superstar even with my very limited time to do anything with him! X

FfionWinnie

Visit site
baby number 4 :)

I have a bit of support at home so would have approx 2 hours to see to the horses everyday :)
I have a 11 and 10 year old who are at school and a 2 year old who goes to nursery most days. Also lucky enough to work from home being self employed (Y)

I am very much looking forward to when i can ride again :) can't see myself selling them and being without a horse

Ah well in that case you know your own mind and I wouldn't worry about baby brain influencing you! I still think you might sell both and get something else that's actually what you want tho :)

Theocat

Visit site
B or C for me. You're going to keep them until September anyway so you have built-in thinking time, but it doesn't sound as if either is right for you, and it definitely doesn't sound as though you can enjoy them properly if you stay in the field!