Horsey First Aid kit

horsegirl

Visit site
Well I have some antiseptic cream & spray, plus bandages, sudocreme (sp?) and purple spray. What else should I have? I have heard people say nappies but what are these instead of?

old_girl

Visit site

nappies are brill, but the cheap ones are better, as they have padding all through instead of that absorbent jelly stuff.

They are useful for hot/cold poulticing feet with bruises or abcesses.

They are useful for cutting up and using as a wound dressing.

Gaffa tape is also essential, for keeping poultices on feet. Aldi currently have this cheap.

Intrasite gel is brill for putting in wounds before vet arrives, being virtually the only thing that does not damage tissue and still allow stitching. (pricey though)

old_girl

Visit site

I would also add scissors, for cutting dressings/bandages, a thermometer, vaseline, salt (for making saline solution) and gamgee for bandaging.

tuscanyD

Visit site
Animalintex is invaluable for all sorts of stuff

Duct tape very useful for covering a foot poultice - make sure you only stick it to the hoof though - if it goes over the pastern it will loosen it more easily and it will hurt to take off!

Epsom salts for foot soaking
You can get instant ice packs from various places cheaply now - the sort where you break a sachet inside - these can come in handy in an emerghency.

Wire cutters - you may never need them. But you don't want to be without them the day you do...!

threeponies

Visit site
Animalintex and the flat lid off a pyrex bowl to soak it in and plenty vetrap. A tub of salt is handy in case you run out of antiseptic.

Nikiolola

Visit site
Hibiscrub! It's good for allsorts. Vetwrap, animalintex, duct tape, antisceptic spray.

Nappies are wonderful for poulticing, much cheaper than buying rolls of cotton wool.