Horsey Hoods

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I've been thinking about getting my boy a hood, perhaps one of those ones that protects against shoulder rubbing aswell. It gets really cold up our place in winter and hes fully clipped so thought i'd get him one for indoor and out to give him a bit extra warmth. What do you all think about them? Any suggestions about what ones to get and cheapest etc?

I've seen some lycra pull on ones on ebay that they say are good 4 indoor and outdoor use for about £20. Any help or views would be much appreciated

Thanks all!

cass xxx :)

lillie07

Visit site
Snuggy Hoods do a fantastic turnout hood which keeps them warm and also keeps the mud off and also really nice fleece hoods for the stable.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Lyrca ones dont last outdoors. And obviously they're not waterproof so probably no use for winter!

I think Snuggy Hoods do a turnout hood which is showerproof and I assume more sturdy that usual ones?

I personally wouldn't be happy to turn mine out in anything which covered the face as once or twice in the stable one of mine has managed to rub his hood so it ended up over his eyes! If that happened in the field, well you know.

Im thinking of buying one of those fleece ones with a zip by I think Best Turnout Out (Ebay), they look so cosy! But Id only use it in the stable or going to shows etc.

RachelB

Visit site
I know some people on here have had horrific accidents where a lycra hood has pulled over the eyes and the horse has gone crazy. Since hearing some stories I would avoid them if I were you - get a proper neck cover for your turnout, much safer.

Salcey

Visit site
Hi, yes snuggys are good. I have heard of people treating their hoods with nixwax waterproofer, haven't done it myself so don't know if it works.
Safety wise I think it depends on your horse, if its nervy scatty type - probably best to forget it in the field

bellgave

Visit site
Snuggyhoods are great, over your budget but great. I thought Id found a bargain on ebay, HUH what a waste of £20 mine was, it was horrid and as for made to measure, all the holes were in the wrong places and it was just rubbish!! You get what you pay for. Lycrs really isnt a good turnout option.

RachelB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Safety wise I think it depends on your horse, if its nervy scatty type - probably best to forget it in the field

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes but ANY horse can get a hood that slips, and if the horse can't see... seriously nasty/fatal accidents have come of this sort of situation.