Horsey items that just don't wear out...

Alyth

Visit site
LOL I have some things from my childhood - 1950s and 1960s!! A tweed jacket, 2 bridles and various grooming tools as well as some bits which I don't use but keep for sentiment - my army bit that was the only bit I could use on my first pony - a 12.2hh Welsh type!!

Little Nell

Visit site
My Black Antle pony saddle purchased in 1984, brown Orion pony saddle bought 1986, hand made bridle for a tiny welshie, 1985, stirrup leathers same, various bits from the same era all being used by my daughter and her friends on their wee ponies. All look great and are far better quality then anything i could buy these days

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
In the 80s I had a stallion who loved playing football with buckets and smashed them very regularly. At the farm shop I found and bought 2 black buckets called 'indestructible buckets' made from a very hard vulcanised type material which were quite expensive at the time, I thought (about 5 x a normal bucket). They have lived up to their name as they still haven't a mark on them. I have tried to buy more since but cannot find anything like them anywhere.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I have a numnah which came with Henry that was years old when I received it. We think it's about 30 years old. I still have the first headcollar I bought (and it's the best one) from Jan 2000, the same stirrups, most of the brushes (I've replaced the plastic curry comb), same wheelbarrow...

clothes wise I'm worse. I still have a coat going strong that I bought when I was 16-17 (I'm 36), the same suede boots that an ex bought me for my 18th birthday, really too many things to mention. Oh and I still have the same pony, too. :D

catkin

Visit site
Glad to see I'm not alone in using good old stuff. I'm the customer the tack-shops fear - 'I need to replace this, why don't they make them any more?'

Welshie's wardrobe is full of hand-me-downs. She's spent this past winter in an old rug that belonged to the horse-before-the-last-one (so that is 30 plus years) and it's very much a favourite. I bought her a new one but she much prefers the old one.
When we first got the 'antique' rug we were still using jute rugs with blankets underneath - the blankets are now doing sterling service as padding on saddle racks, still in one piece, could still be used on the horse. They still have the labels on - complete with Utility Mark which would date them back to 1940s.

My black coat is 1950s Harry Hall - beautifully cut and in great condition.

I do have some more modern stuff too - the leather brushing boots and the bridle can't be much more than 25 years old;)

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
I've kept my first pony's saddle, Leather headcollar, grooming kit and brushing boots from 23 years ago and am using the brushing boots (like new, easy to chuck in washing machine) body brush, curry comb, hoof pick now. Saddle still in good nick, can't bring myself to sell it though, never know when these things may come in handy.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
My side saddle dates back to about 1900 :cool:

Its obvs had a few repairs over the years but the basic tree and construction are original :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I have a rubber curry comb with "Star" painted on it. It was from my first pony who I've not had for 25 years so is probably 30 years old. It has had a few rests when I've been horseless.

I've got 12 year old Pikeur show breeches and Rambo T/O rugs 7 - 12 years old.

My tack box which is actaully a Keter tool-box is 12 years old and I wish I could get another - it's strong and the right size and shape to use as a step. It has a hole in the top from being stood on (by a horse) and the hinges are now broken and the carrying handle is broken but I've not found a tack box that comes near it to replace it :(

SNORKEY

Visit site
I've still got a feed bucket with my old ponys name on the front, must be about 20yrs old now!
Bits last forever, and hoof picks!

cob&onion

Visit site
Thermatex rug i had for my mare when i was 14, am 32 this year. Stirrup leathers i use now are around 20 years old.

cadefan

Visit site
One of the original Pessoa event saddles - approximately 25 years old and still looks good and is as comfortable as ever.
Rambo original turnouts approx 20 years old
Keith Luxford continental reins - bought in 1994 and SO well used - still in use
I had some Ariat paddock boots that I wore all the time for about 10 years and then they eventually died - subsequent Ariats have all had issues within a year.
Thermatex that is approx 20 years old - a few threads caught, but otherwise still going strong

sandi_84

Visit site
Most of my grooming kit was donated to me by my eldest sister, she's 38 now and she's had it since she was 13. I then donated it back to her when she got a new horse and it's still going strong :D