Horsey losing weight!!

seaview

Visit site
Hey everyone,
I have a very green rising 5 year old who was broken late last year and had done v little before I put him out for a break!

I felt he was ready for the break as he had gone very lethargic and not interested.

he is back in about 8-9 weeks and we are really starting to get somewhere flatwork really improving and his jumping coming on leaps and bounds.

However, he has gone exactly the same! I try and get a correct balance he is only worked 5 days a week (reduced this from 6 recently!) one of those he would be out jumping or a lesson one hack (all thats poss as work ) 2 schooling and 1 lunging, its not like we ridefor hours and hours but he does get a fair amount of work in those days!

As soon as he came in he got a vitamin jab to give him a boost as per vets recommendations.

he is fed (round scoops)
1 soaked oats
1 sugar beet
1 alfa oil
sunflower seeds
multi vitamin
pink powder (new addition as per weekend )

Can anyone suggest anything I can do he is also not holding his weight teeth worm back saddle etc all 100% as on regular programs for all!

Nat
xx

seaview

Visit site
sorry twice a day,
a third feed isnt poss
he also gets about 4-5 sections of hay per night (just enough so there is a tiny bit left in morning) and about 2-3 durinmg the day when he is in,
Nat
x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It could be nothing more than he is getting fitter - so looking trimmer.

Have you thought about trying Red Mills?? We've gone over to it this year on the yard, and are having some wonderful results. And can you feed haylage instead of hay??

seaview

Visit site
He was on haylage and tbh it was no different we ahve managed to get fantastic quality hay (better than haylage round here~) so wnat to stick with that,
xx

MillionDollar

Visit site
I have you thought about using boiled barley? I had the samer touble as you put horse on

1 1/2 scoop of boiled barley
1 1/2 scoop of sugarbeet
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Twice a day

It works absolutely fantastically. A friend of mine has just put her broodmare on this diet who is struggling to keep weight on her.