Horsey novel suggestions for older teens :-)

shirl62

Visit site
I read a lovely book recently called ''The Horses Know'' by Lynn Mann. Its fiction but I really enjoyed it.

Shirl

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think Pat Smythe's story would make a fantastic film, if they could find an actress who could sit in the saddle properly! I wonder how well she would have done at the 1952 Olympics if she'd been allowed to ride.

I loved reading all the Pat Smythe autobiographies, with Flanagan, Prince Hal and Tosca bring the main horses I remember. She was before my time and I found it fascinating.

Visit site
Sorry, I’ve been busy with college work. Thank you for the recent suggestions. I’ve looked into ‘The horses know’ and that definitely seems my kind of read! Something Horse related but a bit more unusual like Rafferty Lincoln Loves. The idea seems unusual and more my kind of read so I’m going to order ‘the horses know’ when I next get paid :). I will update this on which ones I’ve read as I’ve read the paperbacks I ordered too. I’m running out, so trip to the library next before payday! Keep the suggestions rolling in!!

sammew

New User
Visit site
more aimed at younger teens but me as a middle aged ponybook addict thought it was great. Eleanor McGraw, a pony named Mouse and a boy called Fire.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Have been following this thread and thanks to those who suggested Raffery L downloaded it last night and had to make myself stop reading of I'd have been up for ages! Obviously slightly far fetched but still find yourself wanting to know what actually happens can't wait to pick it back up again at lunch time.

Can also suggest i don't think I have already, books by Grace Wilkinson.

Also minor but has anyone else noticed there are several typos in these newer written books? Doesn't stop me enjoying the story but I can't help but notice them!

Visit site
I’ve spotted the Grace Wilkinson Books too, they always seem to be up high when I search horsey books so maybe I’ll give one of them a try. I tend to read quite fast I don’t notice many errors. When I was younger I remember an English teacher saying that all books have a few typos so I’d spent ages looking for them in my novels at home! Guess I’m not good enough at English as didn’t find many! I’ve read Eleanor McGraw, enjoyed it but think for younger teens and found it a little slow at start. Once in I really enjoyed it, decent young adult read with interesting characters. I’d def recommend it as a read for pony loving teens. Happy reading :)

Visit site
The Lauren st John novels are all over amazon too, has anyone read any of these? I remember further up the thread that they weren’t recommended, are they for much younger teenagers then? They do look for early teens judging by cover but not sure whether to give one a try, her first ‘The one dollar Horse.’ Any comments on these books would be great :)