Horsey Novels?

FizzyBum

Visit site
Hi All,

I really want to get back into reading (I just haven't had the capacity recently with a sick horse and a youngster to back) and was wondering if anyone knew of any good novels about horses?

I've read Black Beauty, the Horse Whisperer, War Horse...

Sophire

Visit site
I think it's aimed more at a teenage audience, but I read Blind Beauty (K.M Peyton), for what must be at least the 7th time whilst away in the Isle of Wight last weekend. Makes me cry every time!! Nice easy read too.

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
KM Peyton has written a lot of horsey books, try her Flambards series, very readable and you fall in love with the characters. King of the Wind, The Horse and his Boy by CS Lewis, the My Friend Flicka books, The Silver Brumby, loads!!

Cowpony

Visit site
If you like mysteries any of the John Francome books is good. Personally I prefer his to Dick Francis. Also Lyndon Stacey books are great.

dibbin

Visit site
I think it's aimed more at a teenage audience, but I read Blind Beauty (K.M Peyton), for what must be at least the 7th time whilst away in the Isle of Wight last weekend. Makes me cry every time!! Nice easy read too.

Aaaaargh I love Blind Beauty!

lar

Visit site
National Velvet. I'm thinking I should start a campaign to reclaim it from the travesty of a film and have it recognised for the beautiful novel it really is.

ZondaR

Visit site
Doranna Durgin, the Dun Lady's Jess books. They are fantasy novels about Jess who's a girl in our world and a horse in her own world. Very interesting. I definately recommend them.

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
My grandfather got me into Dick Francis novels, would highly recommend if you like horses and thrillers. Most interesting read which is still sat on my bookcase but isn't a novel, is "Jumping the odds, memoirs of a Rastafarian showjumper" which is all about Oliver skeete

Product description
About the Author
Oliver Skeete left behind a wild life of partying and petty crime in the backstreets of London to become Britain's first black showjumper. 'He's got a great feel, good eyes and he's a quick learner. But most of all he's motivated enough...given the right horses he can go all the way' Nigel Goddard, former international showjumper

Orangehorse

Visit site
Been recommended before, but The Dressage Chronicles set in the USA but it is life as a working pupil with a bit of romance added.

Cowpony

Visit site
My Animals and Other Family by Clare Balding - brilliant! Not a novel, it's an autobiography, but it's great.

Garnet

Visit site
Jenny Pitman wrote a series of five novels about training National Hunt horses, which I have read recently and really enjoyed. Available for a couple of quid each on ebay . . .
I used the website www.janebadgerbooks.co uk to relocate all my childhood favourites and there is a section for novels aimed at adults too.
Another one that I love is The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes.