Horsey or non horsey OH?

Billabongchick

Visit site
Mine was non horsy although his parents bought their own in their 40's so he had spent some time with them. His parents were highly chuffed when we went to visit for the first time and OH had a gallop up a hill on his Dads old shire cross on the 2nd day! His Dad thought it was me and did a double take when he realised it was his son and I was at the back recording it all!

After convincing OH to book for 2 lessons on a riding holiday in Tuscany (I didn't want to put him off with overkill) he did me proud by deciding to have a lesson every day while we were there and a few months on he is now half owner of our ex racer. He is borrowing another novice type horse at our yard so we can hack together and refine his riding/balance but will now swop onto our mare once i'm happy she is settled (she's a saint generally) and trot and do short canters on her! He loves being around her and is getting good at rugging, mucking out etc too so it's going well for someone who didn't 'get' horses a year ago!

Eriskayowner

Visit site
My OH is non-horsey but he's actually pretty good. He's done the horses without me (with some help from a friend) all week so far which has also involved changing the poultice on jazzy's foot. He's brilliant with the horses but will ask if unsure :)

Spotsrock

Visit site
5 years ago (next week) mine was non horsey to the point never been close to one. Can now turn out and bring in the most difficult of mares, change rugs, tie up haynets, lunge and walk and trot. He's learning to ride so that we don't have to send b1&2 out on loan to strangers when we have babies. Oh and he's agreed to photos with them after our wedding.

Skipadeedooda

Visit site
My OH has been converted, as I work away quite regularly he mucks out, changes rugs, grooms and feeds horses etc. He learnt fast how to handle them pretty well when I was away and the temperamental old boy got an abscess and needed poulticed and box rested. Friend dealt with vet initially but OH did all the poulticing etc then when vet came back OH was delighted as vet said he had a calming influence on horse...bless! We now have a youngster that he handles day to day and grooms etc, she likes me but she LOVES OH. He's decided that she is his horse as he doesn't want the old boy to get jealous so we have one each. It's great at a weekend having company to muck out and groom with (horses are now kept at home).

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Sorry, mine is most definitely horsey! He's teaching me things all the time, he's had horses all his life. I always thought I'd be fine if I met my perfect bloke and he didn't have a clue about horses. I was wrong - when I met OH and saw the way he handles horses I knew that he was my perfect bloke (everything else was great as well!).

I'm hoping to move to live with him next year and he's already allocated me a stable and a paddock for my horse at his yard, plus told me he'll get some jumps together so we can teach her to jump on his track :) he's also started walking the dogs further afield so he can find me some good hacking routes! And he has 12 horses of his own, including a few mares that have been used for breeding but are now just being kept as 'pets' (they won his family a lot of money whilst racing and nobody wants to part with them), so he's also told me we can get the saddle on a couple of them if I ever feel like it. Of course I'm gonna feel like it!

Madam Min

Visit site
My OH is definitely horsey. We met through horses, he brought his novice eventer to the yard I was at and nearly 10 years on we're married and have 2 horses of our own. He's ridden since he was a kid and has loads more guts than me so takes our nags showjumping etc :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
I've very lucky my fab OH was totally non horsey when we met (he lived in a flat in central London), now only 7 years on he's perfectly capable of handling them and does everything for them in the week if I'm working long hours!
He has ridden (well not fallen off) but doesn't do any since we had our son (and so cut down on horsey numbers!) - his best comment was the very first time out on a hack when my boy was wondering all over the place and snacking on the hedge he said

"it's like it's got a mind of it's own" - I couldn't answer for 10 mins through the tears of laughter!

He does moan a touch but then I catch him cuddling them (easy to spot now as they are both grey and moulting like mad!) or telling me he gave one or other a treat for some reason.

Kikke

Visit site
Mine had never touched a horse in his life. He was always afraid to break mine ;)

Two and a half years ago I bought him a riding head for his birthday with the idea we could take one of the horses for a walk in the woods.
Within 6 months he was talking about getting his own and now he is the proud owner of a 5 year old Belgian draft and even crazier then I am.

Very handy I must say!

b279dcc1abd572a43671ef7f27e83856.jpg

bca82dd089f19c1dcbc2a3e6102d03d1.jpg

Now I am the very proud other half! :D

Bobbly

Visit site
My OH rode as a child, now he poo picks the paddocks, and I do stables, he is a trained mechanic so fixes the tractor, lorry, landrover or garden machinery as necessary, he can do carpentry, electrics and plumbing so we've built workshops and sheds and jumps. Having lived on his own as well he can do all domestic chores if he's forced to! He has ridden out with me on occasion, which was a little disconcerting once when he decided to trot off up a green track which has a five bar at the end, he got cantering by mistake...I hollered 'Pull him up, NOW!! otherwise pony would've taken on the gate...And he insisted he would ride my green welsh cob around the village with me (He's just a horse Chel, he'll be fine, don't worry...)Hmmm.

All good so far.......I came home from shopping last night to find he's had a mishap and let the cob go who then ran amok on the lawn....and then he couldn't catch the other one so as he was a little narked by then he decided to 'Monty Roberts' him and chased him around the field with a lunge whip for 20 mins or so!! He then announced that they shouldn't get any tea for messing him about so why was I feeding them?

Whilst I wouldn't swap him for the world, I think as far as riding is concerned he should stick to his motorbikes.....:)

FinalFurlong

Visit site
Boyfriend (will hopefully be able to call him OH on here sometime in the future!) works in horse racing, i met him when he used to work at the yard i help out at but now he's moved on to another yard (for understandable reasons!)

He's nearly got himself killed riding them on the gallops, but I know its just part of the job. Still, if he does (fingers crossed!) get his jockey's license in the future it'll take me a while to get used to watching him ride in races! Luckily he'll be a flat jockey so the risk of broken bones is a lot less.

melbiswas

Visit site
Knew it was time to give up trying to horsify OH when he thought a friend's 2 yr old 16hh filly was our daughters 12 hh 12 yr old gelding ( who we had owned for 3 years).

It was at that point I realised that if I stuck to bays I could have any number of horses!

Sadly wont work now as we have our own yard and he can count.

Romeorider

Visit site
Non horsey. He came riding once but thinks its a bit boring (no engine). He says he's happy to help with the ground work but has been to the yard twice in two years. He also says he's not scared of them and although my sometimes unpredictable boy was good as gold when he has visited, he's one end of the lead rope and the horse is at the other....:D

Tobiano

Visit site
have enjoyed reading all your descriptions. i would not swap my non horsy OH for the world but I am jealous of you who have horsy ones ! It would be so great to go hunting with him or even just hacking. The annoying thing is he can take or leave horses but they all love him and he is a natural handling them. Still, I can see their point :)

Switcheroo

Visit site
Non horsey. I remember coming back from the yard and being greeted with an outcry of "You stink!" However he's interested in trying out riding and we're booking a lesson with some friends. Think I will be at a somewhat unfair advantage if we do pony games :D

Onyxia

Visit site
I have had both, husband is non horsey and I would not have it any other way!
Horsey OH's just had to reaffirm they were the better horseman all the time,which is fine for a while but it got grating.
I wanted to just enjoy the horses together, but oh no- a hack was not a nice afternoon together but a chance to show how much better they were(even when you were incredibly inferior LOL!)

BWa

Visit site
Non horsey, to the point where he is jealous! However he is a farmer, so is quite happy with the smell and knows how to make a decent bale of hay and muck out. And as long as the horse doesn't mind being treated like a bullock he is actually very capable with him.

Toast

Visit site
Was a non horsey biker when i met him. He now works on a sheep farm and will do all horsy jobs like mucking out and feeding ect. He's ridden my appy and knows what causes colic ect. He can rug up, turn out and bring in. He even walks my exuberant 2yo out in hand!

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Mine is horsey, which as OH works from home a lot is very handy for me as he normally does them in the morning so saves me getting up early!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Horsey. He rode before he met his first wife, but she didn't like horses, so he stopped. Later, and divorced, he met me and had a go on my horse, who ran off with him in the manege! He has always helped me with her, and she hates him, for no reason, being what can only be called a bully towards him! When we got engaged, he bought me a lovely ring, I bought him a 17h ISH that is kind and gentle! His son also got into horses (much to the disgust of his ex-wife who tried to ban him/put him off) so we also got ponies! The horses are now at home, so he mucks out and does everything while I am away at work. He is also a great groom when I event, being a mechanic can put studs in faster than anyone I've ever seen, and takes wonderful videos! We now have two horses, mine and his, which he shares with his tall son. I couldn't have half what we have without him and all the hardwork he puts in.

Ahrena

Visit site
Mines a non-horsey convert.

He was interested from the start and has a real natural way with them.
He comes up whenever he can due to shift work to help look after them, will lunge naughty pony and has done them on his own a few times when i can't make it due to work.

He's ridden a few times but I worry he is a bit heavy for my boy...he has mentioned he would like his own horse!

He's a super groom at shows too, does my studs, walks courses with me, takes awesome pics and does my jumps.

The other day I was doing loading practise with naughty pony and eventually I was getting tired so told him to have a go...bloody thing walked straight in!

He's a star, happily pays for them and encourages me to buy new ones!