"Horsey" People!

Samantha008

Visit site
I was talking to my dad the other night and he was telling me how he has no time for horsey people as we are some of the worse type of people hes ever met (bare in mind i couldnt really get more horsey...) and that it didnt suprise him that a recent shocking event from the owner of a horse i loaned didnt suprise him at all, as "horsey people" are generally very hard and selfish.

Views???

Not meaning to offend anyone in here, im not saying the above is true of anyone i know but it does seem to be a common misconception of "horsey people" Do you think its down to money? Or the fact that horses really do consume us? I cant think of why weve managed to get this name for ourselves? Ive heard it a few times that horsey people are so "hard".

I think a lot of people think we go down yards and dont talk to each other, go out on yard socials etc and that we just spend our lives talking to horses and slowly going insane.....hmmmm.

savia

Visit site
I don't think horsey people are necessarily 'hard', I just think they're very matter of fact and don't take bs from anyone:p

TicTac

Visit site
I think that there is an element of ' types ' in everything ie all football fans are hooligans, all car enthusiasts are petrol heads and so on. Doggy people are just the same!

Actually I keep my horse at a very nice small friendly yard where we all help each other out, ride out together and have a Christmas get together! So no, I do not agree that all horsey people are hard and selfish, unfortunately it seems your dad has only ever been exposed to your way of ' horsey' life!!

pricklyflower

Visit site
I was chatting to one of the IT guys at work who said horsey people looked snotty and who rode with their noses in the air. I told him that wasn't the case for me, I said I had to ride with my nose Pointing up to stop my big boobs hitting my chin ;0)

MiCsarah

Visit site
I do think people think we are crazy. I mean we spend the day cleaning up poo and riding half a ton of horse that could potentially kill us at any moment. We treat our horses generally as if they are our children

picolenicole

Visit site
I was chatting to one of the IT guys at work who said horsey people looked snotty and who rode with their noses in the air. I told him that wasn't the case for me, I said I had to ride with my nose Pointing up to stop my big boobs hitting my chin ;0)

Love this ^^^^^ I am so using this one next time anyone goes on about "horsey people" being snotty.:D

x colours x

Visit site
I think you can meet some great people in Horsey circles and then theres some that are SO up there own arse I just think WHO ARE YOU? those who genuinely believe anybody should be so lucky to be in their presence! :eek:

but tbh I dont think thats horsey people I think thats just people :eek:

I tend to stick to mingling with people who I know are like minded and dont spend there time going round like they are have a hot poker up there ar** :rolleyes:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
What??? It must be a regional thing. Down 'ere in the west country we're very friendly, sociable and like to have a laugh!!! I haven't met a snotty horsey person since when I lived in Lincolnshire.... theres some right snots oop there I tell ya.

I've met a few "crazy" people but you can spot them a mile off and you just smile in their general direction and look busy :D

monkeybum13

Visit site
What??? It must be a regional thing. Down 'ere in the west country we're very friendly, sociable and like to have a laugh!!! I haven't met a snotty horsey person since when I lived in Lincolnshire.... theres some right snots oop there I tell ya.

I've met a few "crazy" people but you can spot them a mile off and you just smile in their general direction and look busy :D

Haha, very true!

BBH

Visit site
I've been brought up hearing that ' racing people' are barking mad and that SJers will shaft you for a fiver if they can shaft you for a £1.

Step dad was a jockey then trainer and mum was a SJ owner following persuasion from friends and they both got shafted by person producing their horses and left sour taste.

As I've got older and from my own experiences I've realised SHE'S ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

IMO the ones to watch are the ones that have to earn a living from horses and the best people in horses are those who have an outside career and horses as a hobby.

tallyho!

Visit site
I've been brought up hearing that ' racing people' are barking mad and that SJers will shaft you for a fiver if they can shaft you for a £1.

Step dad was a jockey then trainer and mum was a SJ owner following persuasion from friends and they both got shafted by person producing their horses and left sour taste.

As I've got older and from my own experiences I've realised SHE'S ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

IMO the ones to watch are the ones that have to earn a living from horses and the best people in horses are those who have an outside career and horses as a hobby.

Maybe, but that's an awful lot of people to tar with the ol' black brush...

There are some toads out there I agree and I would challenge anyone to say they've never been had by those people.... but there you go: what doesn't kill you makes you bitter and twisted :D:D:D:D

Unless of course you can shrug your shoulders and get on with it :)

McNally

Visit site
Oh how funny, I was going to post almost the same thing earlier today!
It annoys me a bit people's perceived idea's of horse owners "well you must be loaded you have horses!"
No i work every second i can (whilst still giving time to ride of course!)

DragonSlayer

Visit site

Oi! I ain't no snotty person, let me tell ya! I tell ee 'ow tha is!....and that's swearin'!...

:D

tallyho!

Visit site
Actually, you know, when I'm out hacking alone, I'm self-conscious most of the time...

Wondering whether my fat-bitch roll (muffin top for you sensitive ones :D) is on view, or my arse is too big. I try and smile and say thank you but tbh, I forget and stare on ahead pretending to eb invisible...

So I wonder if these mere horseless mortals are mistaking my paranoia for aloofness... hahahaaaa how funny!!!!! :D:D:D

competitiondiva

Visit site
I've come across a fair few 'horsey' people in my time and imo we get the name by the fact there is a large percentage of 'horsey people' that will call a spade a spade, won't take bs and unfortunately we all seem to know the 'right' way of doing something and everyone else that doesn't do it that way is doing it wrong!!!! I think their favourite statement is 'you can't tell me anything, what I don't know about horses isn't worth knowing!!' in my opinion you never know everything! People might say this is a stereotype, (which it is), but based on the fact that there are so many of these people out there!!!!

tallyho!

Visit site
I've come across a fair few 'horsey' people in my time and imo we get the name by the fact there is a large percentage of 'horsey people' that will call a spade a spade, won't take bs and unfortunately we all seem to know the 'right' way of doing something and everyone else that doesn't do it that way is doing it wrong!!!! I think their favourite statement is 'you can't tell me anything, what I don't know about horses isn't worth knowing!!' in my opinion you never know everything! People might say this is a stereotype, (which it is), but based on the fact that there are so many of these people out there!!!!

Naahhh, only in lincolnshire :D

RunToEarth

Visit site
I agree with BBH, people who have horses as their livelihood are usually relatively normal, those who keep them for a hobby are usually at least a little bit nuts.
The horsey circles I paddle around in are matter of fact, no BS, come across as rather rude and possibly stuck up, it's what I've always known, I've always stuck in my cliques and I've always enjoyed it that way.
There are those that are the erratic worriers about how many rugs their horses have on, there are those that are so friendly they talk you to death, there are those that are far too nosey, those that are far too oppinionated, those who know nothing but bumble onwards, and those that are experts in knowing nothing... a little bit like the rest of life to be honest.
What I have found is that the groups have conflicts in and around, which is probably why the horsey world IS bitchy, and why there are so many "yard rants" on here.

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I think it is like a lot of things in that if you don't understand it you make up your mind about something instantly and usually tend to follow the stereotypical view that goes along with it

midi

Visit site
Hmm.
I admit I went through a period where I actually quit riding due to the people within the horsey world or shall I say the horsey world where I live. I felt very uncomfortable and felt very much like I didn't belong and was made to feel like a lesser being. I found the people rather daunting and they could be incredibly snobby/ignorant and believed the world revolved around them.
I guess it was a class thing also? I totally couldn't relate to them and I was probably what they would call "scum" and they where what I would call posh stuck up tw-ts! :eek:
I tend to also easily pick these people out regardless if I have no idea who they are you can just tell they have horses so thus a stereotype of a "horsey" person.

On the other-hand my other experience of people who are "horsey" are total opposites and tend to be down to earth people who are incredibly kind and lovely ! or just your general types of people you'd find anywhere else. But I think when people refer to horsey people - that they do not like they're like the people I described first - at least I do ha.

Last edited: