Horsey resolutions for 2014

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So 2014 is almost upon us so I thought it'd be fun to start a horsey resolution thread.

As most of you know when I bought H in the summer my confidence was pretty low and although it's improved massively I've still got a long way to go until I'm back to being the bold rider I used to be. With that in mind my plans for the year probably sound pretty tame but I wanted them to be achievable rather than something that would knock our confidence again.

So mine are:

1. Get H hacking out happily alone. He's awesome when hacking in company but really does lack confidence when going it alone so now that my own confidence is growing I'm going to work on getting him to be a chilled out hack.

2. Do things that scare me. There's plenty of things that could be on this list but for now I've got a hunter trial and sponsored ride to focus on in March.

3. Compete! Our long term aim is unaffiliated ODEs so this year I'm planning on doing at least one hunter trial, clear round class and walk/trot test.

What are your horsey resolutions for 2014?

Asha

Visit site
Great idea for a thread.

Confidence is my biggest issue too. So my resolution for 2014 is to just get on with it.

1. Start hacking my home bred 4 YO out - as soon as the winds disappear ( thats the weather haha)
2. Get him out to his first dressage comp
3. Get him out to his first SJ comp
4. Get my yearling ( who will be 2 next year) to her first inhand show
5. get my foalie ( yearling next year) to the BEF

Think thats about it, now its written, i have to do it !

TrasaM

Visit site
I'm just getting to the stage of being a bit fed up investing time and emotion in, and being injured by, other peoples horses. I'm thinking that I might be better off biting the bullet and getting my own. At least then I can control management and training instead of sharing others' horses and unable to influence anything. Is 2014 the year? It might be :)
I also need to complete an equine anatomy course so that I can do the next stage of Masterson training. Fingers crossed.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I am going to try all my horses rugs on him then work out the best fits fittings fabrics and neck covers then make my old lad his own tailor made rug.

The mad TB

Visit site
We could all check back in at the end of each month to see how everyone's progressing, that way at the end of the year you can look back and see when and how you achieved certain resolutions!

HorsesHavingFun

Visit site
I haven't really got resolutions or goals for 2014, luckily enough everything I was aiming for in 2014 we did in 2013! :D

My only goals are:
-Put less pressure on myself to do things that I don't really want to do
-Maybe enter a Interdressage comp

Hope 2014 is nice to everyone :)

flurryjuno

Visit site
-Start competing again
-Take my horse up the mountains trekking for a day
-Don't care what people think of my riding
-Get my poor pony back from my evil aunt:mad:

Sounds simple, have a feeling its gonna be hard though! Have to remember these for 2014:)

ellie11987

Visit site
1. Bring my mare back into full work after injury
2. Try to have a lameness free year hopefully!
3. Get a new stressage saddle and some matchy
4. Survive her first stressage outing in May
5. Be competing successfully at Prelim by the end of the season

Just small goals this year to introduce her to the dressage scene!

delaneys

Visit site
1. Lose weight!
2. Get 2 boys out and about and fitter as I get fitter and hopefully compete!
3. Get 3rd horses leg right after a tendon injury, he is having a year off to chill and rest.
4. Keep them all healthy, happy and maybe try cut my costs back! X

Lolo

Visit site
-Start competing again
-Take my horse up the mountains trekking for a day
-Don't care what people think of my riding
-Get my poor pony back from my evil aunt:mad:

Sounds simple, have a feeling its gonna be hard though! Have to remember these for 2014:)

If it's any help, I found "I don't care" was a really handy chant to have when cantering around an SJ ring. I could be crippled by nerves about what people thought of me, and this fits canter perfectly so not only made me feel better but helped me ride a better rhythm :D

LaurenNutini

Visit site
With my loan horse,
Ride him a lot more often on my own, even if its a short hack around the village or a ride in the school.
Start jumping lessons! And be more confident while jumping.
Get him working better in the school (Focusing on me instead of spooking at anything and everything) and work on canter in the school.
Keep having fun! :D

Arniebear

Visit site
Get my big bear back in action sound and healthy post injury :)
Sadly the rest of my plans have been scarpered by said injury, i will simply be thankful if i get to ride him in 2014!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So 2014 is almost upon us so I thought it'd be fun to start a horsey resolution thread.

As most of you know when I bought H in the summer my confidence was pretty low and although it's improved massively I've still got a long way to go until I'm back to being the bold rider I used to be. With that in mind my plans for the year probably sound pretty tame but I wanted them to be achievable rather than something that would knock our confidence again.

So mine are:

1. Get H hacking out happily alone. He's awesome when hacking in company but really does lack confidence when going it alone so now that my own confidence is growing I'm going to work on getting him to be a chilled out hack.

2. Do things that scare me. There's plenty of things that could be on this list but for now I've got a hunter trial and sponsored ride to focus on in March.

3. Compete! Our long term aim is unaffiliated ODEs so this year I'm planning on doing at least one hunter trial, clear round class and walk/trot test.

What are your horsey resolutions for 2014?

Having chatted with my hacking buddy whilst poo-picking I'm also adding pass my trailer test to the list :)

Undecided

Visit site
-Make our Novice dressage debut (unaffiliated!) and continue to progress instead of trotting round in aimless circles non stop with no goal!
-Pass my trailer test
-Take Rio to his first cross country
-Keep him sound all year!

asommerville

Visit site
This is a good thread! I want to be competing at prmlim and novice dressage, do some jumping and showing and do at least one working hunter class

Lexi_

Visit site
At the grand old age of 31 (well, I will be by the time shows start again), to have a go at competing. Monty's owner is more than happy for me to have a go and there are local shows within hacking distance so there's nothing stopping me except nerves!

Also a beach ride would be great fun and we're closeish to Formby so here's hoping!

JLD

Visit site
1) lose enough weight to ride my pony
2) get saddle to fit pony ( no point till achieved 1 !)
3) try not to fall off pony who is unimpressed at having to do some work.

4) take daughter to do LR dressage on pony to justify buying the really really cute tiny tweed jacket I bought in the sales last week !

Squidge90

Visit site
Love this thread.

-qualify for the BE90 Badminton Grassroots final (qualified for a RF so far)
-if the above is not completed then tackle a novice by the end if the season.
-just get on and do it - I passed my horsebox test a couple of weeks ago so no excuses now not to get out and about!

Best of luck for 2014 everybody!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Arse into gear to get ready for competing! So tomorrow morning will find us grooming the bog-monsters and riding in our grass school. It's not brilliant, but it'll do tomorrow for playing about in.

:D