Horsey scene around Herts/Bucks

chaps89

Visit site
Idle musings. Horse is currently down in Surrey, I currently live in Bucks. For various reasons thinking of bringing horse closer to home, but if I do so it makes sense to also move ourselves closer to my OH work in north London (primarily mill hill area, but also barnet and finchley) it's just whether all the logistics work together or not and we stay put.

Watford is looking most likely but open to ideas - currently live near Heathrow just off m4/m25 junction

So if I were to move her either up to where we are currently or a bit further north, what's the horsey scene like, is there a good range of yards (not a lot is coming up on Google- priorities are being able to accommodate a good doer (this is vital) and preferably good hacking. All else is negotiable) a good choice of quality farriers and some feed shops?
I'm very spoilt where we are currently and hadn't previously wanted to move but recent changes in circumstances are leading me to re-consider.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
There are a good variety of yards round the Brickett Wood/Radlett area with lovely hacking. Close to junctions 5 and 6 I think of the M1 so good access but not a cheap area. It's one of the few bits of Hert that doesn't have the deep clay soil you get in other parts.

I used to be round there but now a bit further east so my info is a bit out of date possibly but yards I am aware of

Hill farm
Netherwylde
Little Munden Livery only but do clinics so good to be near
Model Farm/Blackbirds Farm
Smug Oak

Think only the last 2 do DIY

Lots of small yards around too, ask on Hertfordshire horse riders on facebook

Feed shops - Titmuss in Wheathampstead - a bit further but good selection and prices
Elstree animal feeds - I think they are supplied by titmuss so a bit more expense but closer

Or maybe look round Shenley, Potters bars, North Mymms if that's not too far out of your search.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
So are you thinking about the Chiltern Hills area between Aylesbury and Hemel Hempstead?

The Tack Haven/TC Feeds in Kensworth is a good tack shop. http://www.tcfeedsandtack.co.uk/

There is also Denne Country Stores near Leighton Buzzard. http://www.dennecountrystores.co.uk/

I have never kept a horse there but Hastoe Hill Livery is in an area with good hacking. https://en-gb.facebook.com/hastoehillliveryyard/

ETA this livery yard (again I've not liveried there myself). https://www.hillgreenfarmlivery.co.uk/

A local Riding club. http://www.dacorumridingclub.co.uk/

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks both :)

I don't think we could afford to live in Radlett (if only!) But if we were to move to Watford then it's certainly within easy driving distance so those suggestions are useful, thanks.
Although of course the feel you can get for a place or reality can be different to what's shown online and then of course you're dependant upon them having a space if you do like it but it's good to know there's options out there for definite!

I would love to go more rural Faracat but I'm not sure my OH would go too far out (we may as we stay put where we are if it still means a long commute for him too) but if we were to go Watford direction then Hemel/Bourne End/Chorleywood/Chalfonts/Kings Langley would be viable (so just on the edge of where you've suggested)

If we don't move then I guess Gerrards Cross/Chalfonts/Cookham/Windsor/Datchet direction work but I understand Cookham/Windsor are very prone to being wet!

I will still be going down to Surrey 3 times a week for work (at least initially - I've been job hunting - unsuccessfully- in the Surrey area intending to keep her there but if I bring her closer to home then I can refocus that search)
If I could find somewhere in Surrey I'd not be opposed to keeping her down there but if I say EMS/good doer/track/restricted grazing but not limited turnout I get the feeling I'm labelled difficult, when really being able to manage her weight aside, we are very low key and hassle free!
I do understand I need to go with the yard set up/majority and I'm of course ok with that, but I was told this morning I'd made up EMS as in 60 years of horse owning YO had never heard of it so it's a bit tricky sometimes and it's just more of an open attitude that I'd like to be around really.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The people on the yards in Radlett when I was there tended not to be local. Some lived up towards Watford but lots of north londoners too as yards were easily accessible.

I think there are some smaller yards round there that would suit you.

lme

Visit site
I have had horses and ponies at Hill Green Farm for almost 10years. They have good facilities, a high standard of care and I am sure they would be fine with an EMS horse.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Theres a track livery near Aylesbury I think, its certainly in that sort of area. If it does become a reality for you let me know and I'll find the details as I cant remember the name of the place right now!

chaps89

Visit site
I know the one you mean LW, I really love the look and sound of it.
Tbh I'd travel there now from where I am, it's about an hour away but for the right yard it's fine (doing 45 minutes each way as it is and as much as I'd love to be closer to home it's something I'll compromise on)
Unfortunately it's barefoot only. I've tried twice to take mine barefoot (already on BF diet) but it didn't work for us :(
Thankyou anyway though.

Wonderlander

Visit site
There's Frith Manor in Mill Hill East/ Finchley. Really suits a good doer. Nice hacking but about 15 mins on main roads to get there. DIY to 7 day offered.

chaps89

Visit site
Thankyou. For now we have found a yard Seer Green/Chalfont way, relatively future proof should we move a bit further up round the m25 (compared to Surrey anyway!) But it's always handy to know options for the future.
And on that note if anyone can recommend vets/farriers/physios/saddlers etc covering that area I'd be ever so grateful!