Horsey summer jobs

Snowfilly

Visit site
Work confirmed this morning that our contract aren't being renewed (thanks Brexit. We depended on EU funding.) job ends April but I can leave earlier.

Also for the first time since I was 3, I have no horses and only 2 pets - a pair of mice who can stay with my mum and her mice. I am also single as of a month ago and very very bored with life ATM!

what's the best summer escape jobs? I can ride anything and used to work in a dealers, at 32 I'm probably too old and too lazy for grooming but I'm welcome to suggestions especially from abroad. Looking for awesomeness over wages.

I've sent one in for driving a horse and carriage around Sark but they wanted someone younger.

Any bright ideas?

Visit site
Does racing apeal to you? Theres always plenty of jobs going in yards all year round. Even better if you can drive the trucks though most yards have 3.5t boxes these days.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They are always looking for riders at the racing yard in Hertfordshire don't know who it is or what they are like though.

I know they advertise on horse and groom.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Hello, there are a few hunting jobs in new Zealand, fairly easy as no mucking out!
Just exercising and turning them out for hunting
I'm off out there in weeks I'm 30
X
Think the season is over by August if you wanted to return back to the UK x

ihatework

Visit site
Well what takes your fancy?

In the UK or abroad?

How long for?

If you are in a position to not need much in the way of income then you will be in a strong position to find something to suit you.

I took a short sabbatical 4 years ago and spent some time on a big sport horse stud, purely because it was something that interested me. Started off as a weeks work experience and then rolled into paid (not very much) part time where I picked and chose hours/availability.

Was great, got very hands on with the vet work, semen collections, foal handling side of things.

If you are competent and cheap the world is your oyster lol

cava14una

Visit site
My friend's eldest granddaughter who is 17 works part time in a racing yard during the school term but will probably work full time in the school holidays.
She's out to the yard at 7am mucks out and rides exercise home about 12.30 then back at 4pm for evening stables. She really enjoys it although it's hard cold work at the present time.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I have seen a few of the horsey holiday websites advertising on facebook for staff on behalf of some of the places they feature - there was one for Croatia not that long ago.
If you had the patience / customer service skills, it would be an interesting way to spend a sunny summer :)

sport horse

Visit site
Some of the major trade stands recruit sales staff for the summer and they go from show to show - hard work but ?fun for one season?!

Spottyappy

Visit site
I can’t share the page, but a friend is looking for a horse and carriage tour guide on the island of Sark, for the summer. Pm me if you would like her details.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I had great summers as a teenager buying a project 4yo pony in the spring, backing it myself and getting it out to a few events then selling in the Autumn. I loved doing it, I made a decent profit (although I did just do it for the fun of it rather than a money maker). Might be worth doing especially if you have your own land (so dont have to pay out for livery costs). You could buy a couple, and if they're decent native types then there's always buyers.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Can't believe at 32 you are too old :eek::eek:

Sunshine tour? Polo? There are usually people who want polo ponies fittened up before the season starts, then working the season. I've seen a few showjumpers wanting extra staff for the Sunshine tour, or staff to stay home while they're away jumping.

Depends whether you want something just for the summer or if you are thinking more long term?

Snowfilly

Visit site
Some lovely suggestions here. I'm thinking abroad for preference and I'm thinking short term really - I'd like to come back and get a job again in what remains of my sector post Brexit but it's non horse related!

Almost a mini gap year type thing, I've had a horrible few months and just want to do something really cool.

South Africa safaris sound tempting...

MouseInLux

Visit site
I have a friend who runs a riding school on main land EU, she may be interested in someone to help her so she can travel to shows. Most important part is working well with kids.

follysienna

Visit site
I spent one summer volunteering (may not be any good if you need an income!) in Greece with endangered Skyrian ponies. They are too small to ride but I had great fun training them, taking them to the beach etc. There was a big group of volunteers so we would work 4 hour shifts and then have the rest of the day to go to the beach. There are a couple of places who take on volunteers for the summer, you can find them on Facebook by searching Skyrian horses. A friend has found other volunteering riding in Iceland on Workaway.

The following year I also found a job being a tour guide in Greece for a trekking centre unfortunately, my plans changed so I couldn't go. I found that on the Facebook page called Grooms jobs and riders.

Lots of jobs also advertised on Yard and Groom. I'm friends with someone on Facebook who worked in a riding school in Japan and another in the Cayman Islands. There are lots out there. Have fun!