Horsey survey related to sarcoids

Kat92

Visit site
I am new to forums but thought you might be able to help :). I am currently undertaking my Independent Research Project at college and require data from as many resources as possible. I would be really grateful if you could take a small amount of time to complete my survey :). The name of the research project is 'Sarcoid development in relation to the age of the horse'.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JCY3Z6N

Many thanks.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Done.

Wanted to go back to it and do it again as I've had two with sarcoids, but it wouldn't let me!

For your notes, the second horse was a male chestnut that we bought with small warts/sarcoids at the age of 4. Never treated by the vet, but tea tree oil and lemon balm, which got rid of them..

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fany had to nodule sarcoids when we got her. One has now completely disappear with no treatment what so ever, at vet's advice. The other has shrunk a lot and seems to be going too.

Survey done.
FDC

kim1978

Visit site
I did it twice , i hope that ok. I have had a horse put down due to a sarcoid that was huge and exploded... was a horrible experience ! I also have a welsh sec a that has alittle sarcoid that has been tied off and is shrinking. Let us know your outcome of the survey.

Kat92

Visit site
Thank you all for helping me out, all your information will help me :) any information you feel might be relevant feel free to let me know :)

AJ & Kiz

Visit site
Hi

I've just taken the servey, i have a horse who has a few sarcoids so please can you let me know your results. I tried alsorts to get rid of them including the liverpool cream, she is now on global herbs sarc ex

thanks

ZarasMum

Visit site
Done, though I just want to add that I said 'yes' to treatment (which was successful btw), but that was thuja cream and Global Herbs Sarc-Ex rather than conventional vet treatment. Wasn't sure what was meant by 'treatment' and nowhere on the survey to explain.

Heidi1

Visit site
Done

Wouldn't let me go back and do 2nd horse - so here are his details, grey gelding 19 years old when sarcoid appead, sheath area, removed 4 years later, when causing problems (Flies and bleeding), so far nothing has appeared back.....

Fly_By_Wire

Visit site
Done :) Also, if you're interested in sarcoids you might want to look up Professor Derek Knottenbelt, he came in to do a guest lecture at the vet school and has done years of research on the subject! :)

scrunchie

Visit site
Done

But would have liked a "possibly" option for the question about whether I'd buy a horse with sarcoids. I would consider it but depends on age, type and number of sarcoids the horse had.

Also would have liked an option or question about whether a sarcoid disappeared without treatment as that's what happened with Saffy. It just dropped off one day.

So my last two questions on the form go:
Was the sarcoid treated?
No

If yes, was the treatment successful?
Yes.

Which doesn't really make any sense. :)

GingerTrotter

Visit site
Done,

I have a chestnut gelding with them. Treated with 3 batched of Liverpool cream over a 2 year period (very expensive!) but all gone now. phew!

Bertie_Boo

Visit site
Have done the survey. My boy's sarcoid just disappeared on its own after a few months and no treatment. It may be useful to have a question as to where the sarcoid was on the horse's body as sarcoids may react differently in different areas. My boy's sarcoid was on his sheath.

whizzer

Visit site
Done. My horse had them as a youngster, tried a few different treatment approaches before going with the Liverpool cream. Wish I'd not faffed with other stuff but had just used the Liverpool treatment straightaway!

pennyturner

Visit site
Done
Our little nf developed a penulate sarcoid on his leg the size of a satsuma. Grim it was, all bloody and wet. Did the old gipsy thing of wrapping a couple of tail hairs (from his very quiet friend) around the stalk tightly. It obligingly fell off a few days later, and has not returned.