Hosepipe ban

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There is no shortage of water in the North.

There have been photos of northern reservoirs which are empty. These are almost always photos of the highest in a chain of linked reservoirs, where they keep the lower ones full to reduce surface area and limit surface water evaporation. Levels are pretty much normal for the time of year.

In the extreme heat recently, there were pictures if Aysgarth Falls (Yorks Dales) completely dry. We had rain the next week and the Falls were running again

J&S

Visit site
In Devon there was an article in the local paper: please would all locals reduce their water usage/consumption by 5 litres a day to be able to accomodate the tourists!! Make what you will of that!

Odyssey

Visit site
We need to radically rethink our water usage as individuals, it's about so much more than just hosepipes. It's considered the norm to shower or bath every day, and wash our clothes after being worn once, but it really isn't necessary most of the time. A shower every other day is usually quite sufficient for most people, though obviously It's different in hot summer weather, or if you sweat a lot through exercise. You can just wash the necessary bits in between. It's not good for the skin or hair to use harsh detergents on them every day, anyway, and they're also causing damage to the environment.

Clothes can usually be worn several times before washing, as long as they haven't got dirty or stained, and nobody will know. Washing clothes releases more plastics and chemical detergents into the ecosystem, as well as using lots of water. We've got into these ways that are wasting so much water unnecessarily and causing toxic pollution, and we really need to change!

Odyssey

Visit site
Do we? Or do the companies that are in charge of supplying water to our taps need to run things better?

On an island surrounded by water and covered in the water, this should never be an issue.

I'm not just talking about this country, water shortage is a global problem, which is going to continue to get worse. Even in my very dry part of the country, we have little to worry about compared with much of the world. Of course the water companies need to tackle leakage urgently too, it's not either or. The chemical pollution caused by so much over washing is relevant, too, we need to be addressing all areas of our lives. The way the "rich" countries are living is totally unsustainable in every way, and far too polluting.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
In Devon there was an article in the local paper: please would all locals reduce their water usage/consumption by 5 litres a day to be able to accomodate the tourists!! Make what you will of that!

^^^ I'm in Devon (East) and on metered water which I pay hugely for.

Am currently hosing down the horses every day with a sprayer device on the hosepipe in the yard.

They can lump it or like it, but keeping the horses cool is a welfare issue. Period. And I will continue to do it whilst this hot weather persists. They can do what they like about it. End of.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Do we? Or do the companies that are in charge of supplying water to our taps need to run things better?

On an island surrounded by water and covered in the water, this should never be an issue.
This gets said a lot but often forgets that desalination is horrifically energy consumptive and would make bills astronomical.

Water doesn't fall evenly either, so have to pump it from wetter areas, this also costs money and energy.

Yes I would love for there to be more investment from water companies but it is difficult. Water pipes have been in place for centuries, trying to find half of them is impossible and then when you do find them no one in the public wants the inconvenience when trying to fix them!

Fred66

Visit site

Am currently hosing down the horses every day with a sprayer device on the hosepipe in the yard.

They can lump it or like it, but keeping the horses cool is a welfare issue. Period. And I will continue to do it whilst this hot weather persists. They can do what they like about it. End of.
No it’s not. Unless horses are competing and need cooling off afterwards then there is absolutely no need to wash them for cooling them down. Provide them with shade and if you need to exercise them do it first thing or last thing outside of the heat of the day

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
No it’s not. Unless horses are competing and need cooling off afterwards then there is absolutely no need to wash them for cooling them down. Provide them with shade and if you need to exercise them do it first thing or last thing outside of the heat of the day

I agree with this. Even yesterday when it was 37°C here my horse didn't break a sweat or seem all that uncomfortable in his shelter. If he were standing there sweating or breathing heavier, then I absolutely would've hosed him down, but he was fine. I was the one sweating profusely while doing chores ?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
We have leaks running for a number of days more usually weeks around us. A neighbour has a leak that ha been reported numerous times over the last few weeks, it's still going with no sign of any repairs. Every year we lose our water supply a number of times due to burst pipes. I find it astonishing that there is so little mention about the amount of water lost each year in this way. Like others have said, in our area we have had plenty of rain but it is still water that has used resources to be suitable for drinking, in areas that do not have the rainfall we have it is even more important.

shortstuff99

Visit site
I’m always somewhat bemused that a planet that is 3/4 oceans (or thereabouts) has to ever struggle for water.
If we can turn sewage into drinking water, can we not have a system to steal a bit from the oceans if and when needed?
I realise it’s probably not that simple but it’s always baffled me.
You can turn sea water to drinking water but desalination and the removal of a heck of a lot of pollution in the ocean costs so much money and energy that it is not (currently) viable for customers.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I’m always somewhat bemused that a planet that is 3/4 oceans (or thereabouts) has to ever struggle for water.
If we can turn sewage into drinking water, can we not have a system to steal a bit from the oceans if and when needed?

Gaia figured this out literally ages ago. Water evaporates from the oceans, condenses and falls back into the land.

?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You can turn sea water to drinking water but desalination and the removal of a heck of a lot of pollution in the ocean costs so much money and energy that it is not (currently) viable for customers.

Thames Water customers are paying for a desalination plant for use in extreme drought, which can't be used (I was reading yesterday) because it wasn't designed to handle the varying salt levels found in water from a tidal estuary!

What!?

shortstuff99

Visit site
Thames Water customers are paying for a desalination plant for use in extreme drought, which can't be used (I was reading yesterday) because it wasn't designed to handle the varying salt levels found in water from a tidal estuary!

What!?
Sounds about right for them ?. That's why it isn't so easy to just have a desalination plant, sounds simple as salt water in, take salt out, clean drinking water but it is reasonably complicated.

luckyoldme

Visit site

This has echoes of the covid excuses.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I'm not sure that many people actually understand the water cycle!

scats

Visit site
I'm not sure that many people actually understand the water cycle!

Obviously rain comes from the sea, but i would have thought that some sort of system could be put in place to be able to pump some out during times of drought.
Just a musing. We can put people on the moon, so it doesn’t seem too far a stretch to me.

magicmoments

Visit site
I'm surprised that they are leaving the ban as late as they are.

Lawn sprinklers should be permanently banned IMHO. A parched lawn will always bounce back.
Actually it won't always spring back. A customer's of mine hadn't a year and a half later. Perhaps the exception.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
We aren’t under a ban as of yet but I have a large pond in the garden which has an abundance of wildlife, not only the fish but grass snakes, newts, frogs, voles and mice and is a watering hole for dragon flies, hornets and the birds. I read today that you can’t fill a pond with a hose and I completely understand why but mine is a haven for so many animals who would be waterless if I allowed it to dry up.