Hosepipe ban

luckyoldme

Visit site
Caring for animals is allowed even under a hosepipe ban. This includes hosing them down to cool them down.
No it doesn't, not in the context that I was replying too. It's not necessary to hose horses down every day.
That's someone who is going to do exactly what they want them look for some excuse to justify it.

Carrottom

Visit site
I understand your wish to keep your pond but do you need to use a hose? Would a couple of buckets of water morning and evening keep it going? I water my veg with water used to wash veg and harvested rainwater. Also I have been told that tap water isn't good for pondlife.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
No it doesn't, not in the context that I was replying too. It's not necessary to hose horses down every day.
That's someone who is going to do exactly what they want them look for some excuse to justify it.
I am cold hosing mine every day in this heat. I think later in the week every horse at my yard will be getting cold showers.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Horse and hound today clarified what is allowed in a hosepipe ban

• Washing horses down with a hosepipe
  • Filling up water troughs and buckets with a hosepipe
  • Cleaning out lorries, trailers and stables with a hosepipe

You would expect people to be sensible about whether a horse needs hosing but it's due to get hot again this week and depending on where you are in the uk and your set up, then it may be necessary.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I understand your wish to keep your pond but do you need to use a hose? Would a couple of buckets of water morning and evening keep it going? I water my veg with water used to wash veg and harvested rainwater. Also I have been told that tap water isn't good for pondlife.

It’s very large and even using all the water butts in the garden it wouldn’t make any difference to the levels. In the past when I’ve had to top it up with the hose it has taken most of the day, something I don’t like to do due to the PH of tap water. At the moment it’s not critical but has dropped about 2 feet so I’m hoping we get some meaningful rainfall in the next month or so. So the wildlife such as the hedgehogs who now can’t reach the water don’t go thirsty I’m filling containers and placing them around the edge.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
How hot is getting that it really requires people to hose (non working?) horses every day? I might consider clipping if they're struggling that badly.

Mine "runs hot" but even he has dealt well with the heat and not needed hosing when just standing around, but I've seen people seemingly panic when a horse is dry (because it's not hot or bothered about the heat) or has very little sweat, but normal breathing and is otherwise ok, but they've (the human) felt hot. It's sort of like when people over rug because they're (the human) cold.

There are also some "cooling spots" on the horse that can be rinsed or sponged with cold water and that helps vs a full on hose down with the hosepipe, if you want to cool the horse while trying to use less water.

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
We aren’t under a ban as of yet but I have a large pond in the garden which has an abundance of wildlife, not only the fish but grass snakes, newts, frogs, voles and mice and is a watering hole for dragon flies, hornets and the birds. I read today that you can’t fill a pond with a hose and I completely understand why but mine is a haven for so many animals who would be waterless if I allowed it to dry up.

If you do get a hosepipe ban then check the details of the ban on the water supply company's website. Ours states that you can top up a pond with a hose 'where this is unavoidable and for the welfare of the fish'. Whereas if you had dug a new pond you would not be able to fill that up with a hose whilst the ban is in place.

meleeka

Visit site
A local water company had just imposed a ban, yet in the same week a water main has burst. You’d think they’d have emergency workers on the case as there is a shortage of water, but the water is still pumping out after a week. The same water company has caused 9 beaches on the IOW to be closed due to pumping sewerage into the sea.

alibali

Visit site
Soaking a summer sheet in a bucket of water (or any old sheet if the horse is sensible and can be trusted to stand) putting it on them, standing the horse in the shade in a breeze (or fan if necessary) will do an excellent job of cooling a horse without wasting loads of water hosing them down. Try it yourself with a wet Tshirt if you don't believe me, just make sure the neighbours aren't watching!

Obviously if aggressive cooling is required in a medical emergency or after strenuous exercise running water is best however if your goal is simply to make your horse a bit more comfortable after standing in the field wet rug, shade and breeze will do a great job and actually as a more gradual effect probably be more appreciated!

Collectively the human race needs to be more mindful of conserving resources and looking at how to make simple changes (like the suggestion above) to achieve their goals with more frugal techniques.

skinnydipper

Visit site
It’s very large and even using all the water butts in the garden it wouldn’t make any difference to the levels. In the past when I’ve had to top it up with the hose it has taken most of the day, something I don’t like to do due to the PH of tap water. At the moment it’s not critical but has dropped about 2 feet so I’m hoping we get some meaningful rainfall in the next month or so. So the wildlife such as the hedgehogs who now can’t reach the water don’t go thirsty I’m filling containers and placing them around the edge.

We used to keep koi and ran tap water through a multi pod purifier for top up. They can work out quite pricy for a large pond and messy to change the media.

I've just had a look and found these which might be a better option for you, though I don't think you can change the media when it is exhausted.

https://www.koicarp.co.uk/oase-dechlorinator/

criso

Visit site
It's just a matter of opinion.
I personally don't think that a non working horse needs hosing down every day unless it's overheating or has a specific health need .
Obviously you have a different opinion.
I can live with that.

It's not a matter of opinion whether it's technically allowed

From Southern Water's own faq

And it says clean, not in cases of severe overheating.

I try only to use what i need and am very careful with water whether there's a drought or not, despite how badly the water companies manage it because I don't want to waste resources.
Screenshot_20220809-095803.png

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Horse and hound today clarified what is allowed in a hosepipe ban

• Washing horses down with a hosepipe
  • Filling up water troughs and buckets with a hosepipe
  • Cleaning out lorries, trailers and stables with a hosepipe

You would expect people to be sensible about whether a horse needs hosing but it's due to get hot again this week and depending on where you are in the uk and your set up, then it may be necessary.

Surely washing lorries and trailers is an unjustified waste of water in a hosepipe ban unless its a vets or transporter for hygiene reasons?

luckyoldme

Visit site
Surely washing lorries and trailers is an unjustified waste of water in a hosepipe ban unless its a vets or transporter for hygiene reasons?
Of course it is.
Seriously I know people who will be out there washing their trucks and just like everyone else who can't think beyond their own wants they will come up with reasons to justify it

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It's just a matter of opinion.
I personally don't think that a non working horse needs hosing down every day unless it's overheating or has a specific health need .
Obviously you have a different opinion.
I can live with that.
Whether the animal works or not , it deserves a little relief from the heat. If my horse is swearing in his stable, he will get a shower , as will the others

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
A local water company had just imposed a ban, yet in the same week a water main has burst. You’d think they’d have emergency workers on the case as there is a shortage of water, but the water is still pumping out after a week. The same water company has caused 9 beaches on the IOW to be closed due to pumping sewerage into the sea.
I remember one year in my childhood, I suppose it must have been 1976 when there was not simply a hosepipe ban but the water supply was cut off and there were standpipes or water bowsers in the street for us to go and collect water in buckets and Jerry cans.

Yup, found an article about it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-40358961

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Of course it is.
Seriously I know people who will be out there washing their trucks and just like everyone else who can't think beyond their own wants they will come up with reasons to justify it

Doesn't help horse and hound saying its fine either. How is washing down a horse box or trailer important enough to be eligible to be exempt unless like I say it's a vet or transporter one for hygiene purposes. Baffles me they are selling it as fine

meleeka

Visit site
I remember one year in my childhood, I suppose it must have been 1976 when there was not simply a hosepipe ban but the water supply was cut off and there were standpipes or water bowsers in the street for us to go and collect water in buckets and Jerry cans.

Yup, found an article about it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-40358961
I remember that too. My mum filled the bath early in the morning with cold water as the standpipe was right up the end of the road.

Widgeon

Visit site
We need to radically rethink our water usage as individuals, it's about so much more than just hosepipes.

Entirely aside from leaks (which I think is a major issue and it really pees me off that water companies are paying their execs lovely bonuses while not upgrading the pipes) I think your statement is true. This chart (below) is pretty old now but based on a newspaper article I read yesterday and now can't find (!), I believe it's still true that the "average" person in the UK uses more water than the average person in quite a lot of significantly hotter European countries. I don't really have time to dig into the statistics of exactly what we're using it for, but if anyone knows of a summary then I'd love to know.

https://www.statista.com/chart/1959...he period from 2014,least with just 50 litres.

criso

Visit site

I quoted this as LOM was talking about what was allowed in a hosepipe ban and suggesting that it was only allowed in situations where welfare was compromised.

I think it depends on the situation.

Most people I know with their own lorry sweep out after use, all transporters I've used do hose out between clients. But there might be times where you need water to clean your own lorry.

As for hosing horses, I don't do it much and usually wash off with a sponge but if you are on a yard with wooden stables and little shade in the field like my last yard, then it may be necessary to cool them down. Even the concrete barn where I'm currently liveried, got so hot last heatwave when it was 40° that horses were sweating and breathing heavily and needed cooling. Much like our homes, many stables weren't built with hot weather in mind.