Hosting Meet - recipes needed

Orangehorse

Visit site
So Master telephoned to son to ask if we could host a meet, he said yes but didn't realise that everyone has to have food and drink.

So any nice reasonably economic punch recipes - and I have had horrid punch before now?

Any rich fruit tray bake like an Aga roasting tin size?

Sausage rolls, mini sausages, cake - anything else?

I don't want comments about hunting - we have had a letter to say that they "hunt within the law" what ever that means, but there are several members of the hunt who have prominent local public positions so I would think (hope) that they are trail hunting correctly.

Rokele55

Visit site
Yes all that and roast potatoes go down well! Port or whiskey to drink possibly, unless it's a Christmas meet and mulled wine is nice (until you spill it down your jods). Good luck

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes all that and roast potatoes go down well! Port or whiskey to drink possibly, unless it's a Christmas meet and mulled wine is nice (until you spill it down your jods). Good luck

You mean hot roast potatoes - good idea! Eat with fingers?

I need the mulled wine recipe though, I think there is one that uses lemonade for correct amount of sweetness.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Small easy-to-hold hot things like sausage rolls, mini sausages and roast spuds sound great, and not too much faff to prepare.

Some sort of hot punch, too, and a non alcoholic alternative for non drinkers and minors, though I happily quaffed the punch when still well under age :oops::D

If near Christmas, then mice pies too would be a lovely touch, but don't go mad.

Have you been given a idea of numbers inc the foot supporters who will turn up?

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
It can get very expensive!
Mulled wine is cheaper then port or whiskey.
Mary Berry does a fruit tray bake for an Aga tin, would you like the recipe? It’s in her Aga cookbook. If a Saturday so lots of children out snack size chocolate bars.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It can get very expensive!
Mulled wine is cheaper then port or whiskey.
Mary Berry does a fruit tray bake for an Aga tin, would you like the recipe? It’s in her Aga cookbook. If a Saturday so lots of children out snack size chocolate bars.

I know it will be expensive! Son didn't realise as he isn't really into hunting at all.
Great ideas thanks.
I haven't an Aga recipe book but presumably Mary Berry's recipe would be easy to find.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I always do the same
Little sausages served warm half plain the rest coated with golden syrup mixed with coarse grain stared and English mustard .
Little sandwiches ham cheese and smoked salmon .
Delia Smiths last minute mincemeat cake in small pieces .
And some chocolate miniature hero’s or something like that

Clodagh

Visit site
here you go, sorry it’s so splattered, it’s well used!

Attachments

• D97B56B2-1501-4C2D-8624-53FD8A43A545.jpeg
    D97B56B2-1501-4C2D-8624-53FD8A43A545.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 27

Clodagh

Visit site
Roast potatoes are my fave thing.
Honestly tho, don’t panic about it, they will just be grateful to have somewhere to meet and anything extra is a bonus!
Agree with this, we didn’t do food and just gave port or whisky. Then we did sausages in rolls, cake and tea afterwards.

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d keep it simple! Some lovely ideas above but for how many people and at what cost ?
I didn’t realise the hunt asks the host, figured it was the other way round!
So, when (not us but the farm OH is involved in) host they do sausages, sausage rolls and tray bake cake. Usually ginger and fruit (separate!!)
They hand out sweets to the kids and extra to stuff in pockets for half way round which is cute!
Everyone seems to enjoy it.