Hot or cold shoeing benefits

MadBlackLab

Visit site
Apart from the obvious of one been hot and one being cold what are the benefits? My friends TB has crap feet (typical TB) and she now moved yard so needs a new farrier but wants to give cold shoeing a try if it would be beneficial for her horse. Advice gratefully received

Heelfirst

Visit site
When I finished my apprenticeship I wanted to know more about cold shoeing, so I worked with someone who at the time was considered the best.
I came away realising that a good cold farrier was a very skilled person, the reason being that the foot has to be level, the shoe has to be level and the two have to meet and fit correctly.
The problem with hot shoeing is that the shoe is going to always melt the foot surface so it fits, whether it is level or not, another detrimental thing that is happening is the farrier will often only hold the hot shoe with the pritchel in one side. this causes the held side to often be lower than the other when fitting.
The amount of horses I have seen with this problem is too great for my liking, and no matter what one says to the profession they do not insist that students are told to use the double holder. Still enough of my moans.
I would say, if the farrier is good then it matters not whether they shoe cold or hot.
Finally you make the remark “typical TB feet” I do wish that we could dispense with this phrase.
Although I now only perform barefoot trimming I never found any of the TB I shod to be any different than other horses, yes you would treat any horse that had weak heels, thin walls and soles with the utmost care and make sure they were shod in a way that returned the foot to be as normal as it can with shoes on, but this can be the case for any breed.
There are many reasons why feet become like this and they are all MAN MADE.
I have never seen a horse born with bad foot tissue consistency.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
When I finished my apprenticeship I wanted to know more about cold shoeing, so I worked with someone who at the time was considered the best.
I came away realising that a good cold farrier was a very skilled person, the reason being that the foot has to be level, the shoe has to be level and the two have to meet and fit correctly.
The problem with hot shoeing is that the shoe is going to always melt the foot surface so it fits, whether it is level or not, another detrimental thing that is happening is the farrier will often only hold the hot shoe with the pritchel in one side. this causes the held side to often be lower than the other when fitting.
The amount of horses I have seen with this problem is too great for my liking, and no matter what one says to the profession they do not insist that students are told to use the double holder. Still enough of my moans.
I would say, if the farrier is good then it matters not whether they shoe cold or hot.
Finally you make the remark “typical TB feet” I do wish that we could dispense with this phrase.
Although I now only perform barefoot trimming I never found any of the TB I shod to be any different than other horses, yes you would treat any horse that had weak heels, thin walls and soles with the utmost care and make sure they were shod in a way that returned the foot to be as normal as it can with shoes on, but this can be the case for any breed.

Excellent post - I took the liberty of highlighting my favourite bit. :)

Pale Rider

Visit site
There are many reasons why feet become like this and they ar e all MAN MADE.

Excellent post.

Salcey

Visit site

Brilliant advice

Heelfirst

Visit site
Ok here is the thing:
The work that is involved with getting a good cold fit takes, IMO more diligence
The reason I say that is, when you have a hot shoe it is very much easier to do two things 1) alter the shoe. 2) make the shoe fit the foot (or appear to!)
A good farrier is a good farrier and both systems in the right hands will produce the right job.
But if pushed I would say that the good cold farrier has no way of compromising a bad job.
I have seen shoes that were fitted hot, only to find they needed a little hit with a hammer before nailing on, say what you like, that is cold shoeing.