Houghton Hall today

kerilli

Visit site
The weather was as scorching as it always seems to be for Houghton, but the going looked perfect and there was lots of fantastic riding. Watched loads of 2* and 3* SJ and 3* xc, some dramas but mostly they all made it look amazingly easy. I'm uploading all pics to the ERA FB page because that's one-step (direct upload) rather than doing it through photobucket and onto here, which takes ages... since I took loads of pics I hope this'll be forgiven, please pop over there if you want a look.

tiggs

Visit site
Thanks. Do you know what happened to WFP,I saw from the results he was eliminated xc on two different horses. Very unusual for him

kerilli

Visit site
Thanks. Do you know what happened to WFP,I saw from the results he was eliminated xc on two different horses. Very unusual for him

he went wrong xc on Avoca Alibi yesterday, jumped the wrong fence apparently, I'm not sure what happened to the other one. Looked as super-classy as ever today when he went past us, made a very difficult combination look absurdly easy!

meardsall_millie

Visit site
WFP definitely had an error of course yesterday on Avoca Alibi.

Does anyone know why Matthew Wright w/d all of his horses today - one was certainly well placed in the 2* and should have SJ'd today?

Tannis

Visit site
Yes WFP fell off Neuf but went on to SJ Chilli Morning (someone said Neuf rolled on William's). Not a brilliant day for our top riders with most picking up faults. Commentator said Mary had a stop it looks like it's been removed. Pippa and Piggy both had a stop.

Butts Leon's new rider, Nina Ligon, rode him beautifully - they really looked like a team.

kerilli

Visit site
Yes WFP fell off Neuf but went on to SJ Chilli Morning (someone said Neuf rolled on William's). Not a brilliant day for our top riders with most picking up faults. Commentator said Mary had a stop it looks like it's been removed. Pippa and Piggy both had a stop.

Butts Leon's new rider, Nina Ligon, rode him beautifully - they really looked like a team.

Piggy had a run out, at the skinny brush (part c of combo) where we were standing. She was enviably calm about it.
Austin O'Connor's horse had an extended napping fit about going to the Quarry, I have no idea how he got away without jump penalties, I guess he hadn't got to the fence yet and the FJs couldn't see as the horse shot out of the woods and jibbed for quite a while before giving in and going back in again!
Nina came to the skinny purple box and she pretty much buried him, he hit it hard going up, across the top and coming down, not nice. The rest of the round must have been a lot better!

Very jealous K, HH is one of my 'to visit' events :)
It's my most local one, you should come and stay. Bring sunscreen, it's always scorchio! Lovely event, tons going on.

Lolo

Visit site

The stop was the fence my sister was fence judging at, and it was definitely a stop and they have no idea why it would be removed?

kerilli

Visit site
The stop was the fence my sister was fence judging at, and it was definitely a stop and they have no idea why it would be removed?

Oh, really? Not the first time I've heard of this sort of thing happening with a big-name rider. which fence was it?
was this on Apache Sauce, because she's in 17th if no xc jump pens...

Lolo

Visit site
From Al:
"Fence 13, the big log into water. Had to re-present and v nearly didnt go 2nd time either!
He nearly came a cropper at the podium to skinny medal (previous fence to ours) too"...

If it's an honest mistake that's fine, but if not :O

Lolo

Visit site
Yep, definitely him. He's not one you'd miss!

Have to say, if its been reversed Al won't be a happy bunny. She sat all day with mum in the burning sun to do this- why have fence judges if you'll just make the results up anyway?

NR99

Visit site
K, you're on would love to come next time.

Shame if they do change their mind re stops, as then they are not presenting an accurate picture regardless of the rider. I've heard before that Piggy has model behaviour in a difficult situation.

treehouse

Visit site
Does anyone know why WFP was apparently riding Seacookie in the Dressage and SJ to start with in Section C but when he got eliminated for the course error the horse changed to Avoca Alibi? I've seen the daily score sheets and Seacookie was presented at the trot up and he was definitely on Seacookie for the first two phases and was announced as being on Seacookie all the way through the XC, right until the final scores were put up. Just wondering...

kerilli

Visit site
Does anyone know why WFP was apparently riding Seacookie in the Dressage and SJ to start with in Section C but when he got eliminated for the course error the horse changed to Avoca Alibi? I've seen the daily score sheets and Seacookie was presented at the trot up and he was definitely on Seacookie for the first two phases and was announced as being on Seacookie all the way through the XC, right until the final scores were put up. Just wondering...

Hopefully just a mix-up with names... did you actually see him riding Seacookie?!

treehouse

Visit site
Hopefully just a mix-up with names... did you actually see him riding Seacookie?!

I don't want to open up a can of worms but Seacookie and Avoca Alibi are similar looking horses apart from Avoca Alibi has a small amount of white on his hind pasterns & I'll put my life on it that the horse that had it's fetlock boots changed by the groom right in front of me just before entering the SJ ring had black legs. Plus why would all printed daily result sheets right up until the last minute show Seacookie? Surely the vet on inspecting the horse against it's passport prior to entering stabling and at the subsequent vet check on the Wednesday would notice this 'clerical error' way before it came to printing the final results sheet on the Saturday afternoon?

treehouse

Visit site
Extract from MSN Sports News page (also duplicated by Sky Sports)
'World number one equestrian eventer William Fox-Pitt continued his blistering run of form by dominating Friday's action at the Subaru Houghton International Horse Trials in Norfolk.
The British star leads his section of the CIC 3-star competition with Seacookie after a dressage score of 35.8 penalties, while he is joint leader of the CCI 2-star aboard Chilli Morning.
Fox-Pitt is set to spearhead Britain's Olympic challenge in London this summer, and there was good news for the selectors following some impressive displays by his potential team-mates.
Piggy French is third with Jakata, while Mary King lies fifth on Imperial Cavalier and Sarah Cohen is 12th aboard her 2012 Belton Horse Trials winner Treason.
After the cancellation of Badminton and Chatsworth earlier this month due to bad weather, Houghton and Bramham in Yorkshire from June 7-10 are pivotal events before the five-strong British Olympics eventing team is announced.

Surely somebody would have noticed the error before it actually made the media?
This is just making me wonder if there's something underhand going on with the mention before on this thread that Mary King's stop mysteriously disappeared and WFP apparent 'clerical error' going undetected by the media & more importantly the FEI vets.

hcm88

Visit site
WFP never himself seemed to claim the horse was Seacookie, on his own Twitter (which may have been posted by a member of his team) they named the horse to be Avoco Alibi after dressage (at the same time that the media claimed it to be Seacookie). I can imagine its a misprint or clerical error on the scoreboard more than anything else?

teapot

Visit site
Something's definitely up with regards to Houghton as it's made its way to be known about at Shelford (going by what's been tweeted)...

Aleka81

Visit site
Dorothy j you are spot on re scuffle comment! Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the other people involveds names to appear!

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
Didnt WFP double enter seacookie and Avoca alibi?? But wouldnt surprise me about clerical mistakes, the was lots of horses running, as for Mary kings horse having refusal removed, maybe she appealed it??