House cat vs. yard cat - where to keep kitty?!

diddy

Visit site
Hi all,

We are looking to get a cat. The kids want one because they think they're cuuuute. I want one because we have a mice issue in the stables (& cats are cuuute). Question is - where should it sleep to keep both cat & humans happy? The stables are about 50m from the house. I would rather the cat lived in the house but would that be too far from the stables for mouse-hunting purposes?! We could of course get two but I'd feel really mean keeping one in the house & one at the yard - it would feel too much like a Disney cartoon :)

Any advice from cat-owners would be much appreciated!

D. x

ihatework

Visit site
I would get furry moggies so they could potentially live out.

Cats tend to decide what they prefer and expect their humans to accommodate accordingly anyway!

Perhaps have a cosy area of outside barn for them with that area being supplementary feeding area. That way they are encouraged outside a fair bit.

But you can always have a cat flap and allow them indoors too?

lottiepony

Visit site
Regardless get 2 :) more kitties the better lol! They venture miles so will happily sleep in the house and will keep the mouse population in control so no need to worry. Of course pictures will be required when you get them! Love our cat does an amazing job and is the most loving creature ever despite being called Mayhem :)

Pippity

Visit site
I think you'll find that the cat will decide where it would prefer to live!

My old codger cat was acquired as a semi-feral farm kitten, and insisted on splitting his time roughly 50/50 between home and outside (where he merrily slaughtered the local wildlife, even bringing home a fox on one occasion!). Now he's 18, he goes outside for 15 minutes or so twice a day, and still brings home a couple of mice or squirrels a week.

I'd recommend getting a farm-bred cat if you can. There's evidence to show that if they're taught to hunt by their mothers from a young age, they continue to be better hunters as they grow up. My young cat wasn't farm-bred and, frankly, struggles to catch a jingly ball!

misskk88

Visit site
We had two cats, brought up exactly the same way and were allowed in and out the house whenever they wanted, in the summer though we would usually leave them out for the night. Only difference was one was male and one female. Male cat far too lazy to do much other than sleep and eat. Female cat regularly went miles through fields opposite the house, brought back moles, mice and birds including pigeons ALL the time, it became a daily mission to get to the doorstep before dad, who would go mental she had killed a bird! Even had the fun of catching the live mouse she let go in the bedroom....

I don't think it will hurt to accustom any cat to being outside whether it is farm bred or not. So in an essence perhaps having an outdoor shelter/cat flap to the feed room, and have a spare bed and bowls in there, so that when you are at work, or in the summer it is happy to use its spare room?! Definitely get two too... Twice the cuteness, twice the potential mice hunting!

Annagain

Visit site
Female cats are much better mousers so I'd get two sisters. I'd put a cat flap in, but also make a nice house/ bed for them in a nice sheltered spot at the yard (maybe the kids could build them something out of boxes to go in the feed room?) and let them choose. 50m is nothing for a cat, they'll smell the mice from the house and go looking for them.

9tails

Visit site
50 metres is nothing in cat terms, as said females seem to enjoy killing more than males. My young female loves to be out chasing whatever moves. The older cats are curled up on whatever's warm 24 hours a day.

crabbymare

Visit site
we are talking cats here. do you honestly think you will get a choice where they decide they will live and where they decide they want to go. add kids into the mix and you have not got a chance of making any decisions :D

Chiffy

Visit site
I got a yard cat once. Had a cat flap into my heated tack room. I fed him in there. Within no time he decided he was coming in the house . We owned two lurchers at the time, named the cat Troy after the Derby winner in the hope that he would be fast and escape the dogs that lived in the house. He didn't care about the dogs at all and was determined to live in!
He was a great mouser though so it all worked out fine.

supsup

Visit site
We got a total of three yard cats from a local cat rescue. They are often desperate to place "feral" cats or those unsuitable as pets. Maybe you could consider a charity as a source? The first two we got became very friendly within a short amount of time (liked to be petted, though not picked up or held) and definitely knew their jobs as pest control. The third cat was returned from a home placement as unsuitable because she tried to bite, and ended up with us. She is very cuddly, but on her own terms! It's worth asking what sort of cat they have. Ours are fed at the stable (don't live at the yard).

Charlie007

Visit site
We took on two ferral kittens, sister and brother, about 5 years ago. They live at the stables ( 20m from house) and curl up in the hay and straw. They are well fed and wormed and deflead regularly. They have turned out to be wonderful cats and great mousers!!

MDB

Visit site
I have two adopted cats that wandered into our finca and saw that I had a sign on my head saying 'homeless animals this way'.

They live out in our barn which is next to the house. They would preference to live in with the dog, but I am quite happy for them to be outdoor cats, and I see them every day for cuddles etc. anyway. In fact they even come on two hour hikes with the dog and they join us at feeding time for the horses. It works well. :)

misskk88

Visit site
I agree with supsup that perhaps rehoming from a charity is also a lovely idea (although understand kids will want kittens!). I rehomed my current cat from a local charity (she would be a rubbish hunter for what its worth!), but they had lots cats and kittens brought in who were strays/ferals and would suit farms and stables, so you could always try and find a younger one and feel good for rehoming too!

Annagain

Visit site
I agree with supsup that perhaps rehoming from a charity is also a lovely idea (although understand kids will want kittens!). I rehomed my current cat from a local charity (she would be a rubbish hunter for what its worth!), but they had lots cats and kittens brought in who were strays/ferals and would suit farms and stables, so you could always try and find a younger one and feel good for rehoming too!

There are plenty of kittens in rehoming centres too.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
We reared our feral kittens in the house then kicked them out when they started wrecking things. Best of both worlds they are tame and friendly but now live in the shed.

friesian76

Visit site
Please make sure they have somewhere to go that's safe when first arrive and learn its their space. My yard owner got two cats that where unsuitable to re home. They stayed in a cage for first two weeks they arrived and were fed. One of the cats was so scared when they were let out it ran off on day one! The other female cat did stay for a while and started to get friendly. Sadly she got attacked by a fox and remains were found in hedge. We also think the other one suffered the same fate. The yard owner didnt provide a safe place for them quickly enough and I think this was why this happened. I have a cat at home, he is spoilt and really doesn't venture far despite being young. If it all works out for you then great as so many unwanted animals out there.

diddy

Visit site
Thanks so much for all your help everyone! Hadn't realised that girls make better mousers than boys. We want to get rescue if pos so would be great if we can get kittens. Also hadn't realised that foxes can go for cats too - how horrible. Wherever they end up, we'll make sure they have somewhere safe to escape to - we might end up having a bed indoors & out so they can choose. Very excited now. Notice I'm already assuming we'll get more than one - you lot are a bad influence!

Thanks again!

D. x