House & horse sitter.

Mari

Visit site
We are hoping to get away some time this year if we can find a trustworthy person to live in & look after our horses & barn cat. We have no house pets. Some years ago I used a “professional” company & would never use them again or recommend. We are in Lancashire. Anyone know a sitter they would recommend?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't know which company you used, but I rung Animal Aunts once and they were very professional on the phone. The owner gave me confidence, but we didn't end up going away so I can't say if the service would have been as good as the conversation.

I particularly liked how she matches people so, because I had a sensitive competition type horse at the time, I would have had an ex-professional rider sit for us. Whereas, now I have more easy going animals, I would be matched with someone of the same mind. They had a whole range of people/qualifications etc.

Visit site
OP, what part of lancs? We moved from Lancs last year and had a brilliant reliable groom who used to cover everything for us when we went away.

PurBee

Visit site
Websites like www.trustedhousesitters.com and similar are useful. There are a few on these type of sites who are extremely experienced with farmyard animals aswell as house pets, and have a profile with testimonials/feedback from other places theyve looked after.

Google ‘house sitting farm animals’ and the like.

Mari

Visit site
Followed up some of your suggestions & have been quoted £170 per day or part day to live in house & look after 3 ponies, out all day in at night so muck out & set stables up, no riding / behaviour / health issues. Put themselves out / bring themselves in. Seems expensive to me as over £1000 for a week. What do others think?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Followed up some of your suggestions & have been quoted £170 per day or part day to live in house & look after 3 ponies, out all day in at night so muck out & set stables up, no riding / behaviour / health issues. Put themselves out / bring themselves in. Seems expensive to me as over £1000 for a week. What do others think?
I know someone for doing the ponies and cat if you message me. Not for living in the house though.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It is £10 per waking hour. Plus the hassle of packing up your own home and losing your social life (unless local) as live in is required.

Livery and a cattery would be cheaper, I guess, but a stack more unsettling to the animals.

I don't think I'd do it for less: the sitter won't get all that if it is an agency as they have fees for office time, adverts, insurance, DBS etc to cover.

A query, as there are no house pets, just barn, do you need someone in the house?

teacups

Visit site
Websites like www.trustedhousesitters.com and similar are useful. There are a few on these type of sites who are extremely experienced with farmyard animals aswell as house pets, and have a profile with testimonials/feedback from other places theyve looked after.

Google ‘house sitting farm animals’ and the like.
I looked on their forum and get the impression trusted housesitters.com have marketed themselves as a 'get a free holiday cottage' type company so much now that there are a lot of people who regard doing much more than feeding a cat/dog, or checking a horse is still alive in a field, is too much hard work. Mucking out or actually walking the dogs would be seen as asking too much.

It must be possible to filter them out, but we recently had some friends do a trial night and they could not cope with the work involved (mucking out one horse, walking dogs). The husband apparently had horse experience but that had been a little over-egged as it turned out. So even when you check, people can be a little overoptimistic about what they thínk they can take on.

There is also an issue with people sometimes cancelling at the last minute, which leaves you stuck if you have flights etc booked. The cancellation might be for a good reason, but it still leaves you stuck. However it's so much easier to cancel a cottage you haven't paid for and I got the impression some of that did go on.

OP, to me it does sound like a lot...then again, as an hourly rate for someone making a living from it it is also not unreasonable. It's an hourly rate that would make me consider doing it ;P

ETA I agree with Red's query: if you only have outside animals do you need someone in the house? I found it a lot of work, cleaning and prepping the house for someone to come and stay in it for a week.

Last edited:

PSD

Visit site
I know someone who may have availability. If you’re still looking I’m happy to pm you details of her profile so you can message her.

Mari

Visit site
I looked on their forum and get the impression trusted housesitters.com have marketed themselves as a 'get a free holiday cottage' type company so much now that there are a lot of people who regard doing much more than feeding a cat/dog, or checking a horse is still alive in a field, is too much hard work. Mucking out or actually walking the dogs would be seen as asking too much.

It must be possible to filter them out, but we recently had some friends do a trial night and they could not cope with the work involved (mucking out one horse, walking dogs). The husband apparently had horse experience but that had been a little over-egged as it turned out. So even when you check, people can be a little overoptimistic about what they thínk they can take on.

There is also an issue with people sometimes cancelling at the last minute, which leaves you stuck if you have flights etc booked. The cancellation might be for a good reason, but it still leaves you stuck. However it's so much easier to cancel a cottage you haven't paid for and I got the impression some of that did go on.

OP, to me it does sound like a lot...then again, as an hourly rate for someone making a living from it it is also not unreasonable. It's an hourly rate that would make me consider doing it ;P

ETA I agree with Red's query: if you only have outside animals do you need someone in the house? I found it a lot of work, cleaning and prepping the house for someone to come and stay in it for a week.
It’s what we’ve always had pre COVID & husband likes that there is someone around, in & out . Yes I could put the 3 horses in full livery for 1/2 that. The cat has never had jabs, & is getting on now, so can’t go in a cattery but a neighbour would feed / check her. Sadly we don’t have any horsey neighbours.