House Training the older dog.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
So, Bo has been with us for about 5 weeks now. He’s settled in really well, been a godsend for Luna as we sadly lost Aled last week, so she’s not on her own.

The only trouble we’re having is, pooing in the house. He’s lived in a kennel for most of his life, so we are aware it will take time, but how can we train him if we don’t catch him in the act? It’s not every day/night, although I don’t think there’s been anything overnight for at least a week. When we first got him, he was cocking his leg a lot, but he did it in front of us, so was told no, and garden, and taken outside. Hasn’t done it at all now (that we know of, and I am searching and sniffing to make sure), but the poo is another story. I walk them before work every morning, for about an hour. If he has a poo on walk, he gets praised and I tell him “poo poo, good boy” etc. I leave for work at 7. D gets home from work around 8.30/9, and if he’s had a poo on walk, all will be fine when D gets in, but like this morning, he didn’t, and D had one to clear up when he came in. So far, we’ve just been clearing it up and ignoring, but how can we teach him to go when out, or hold it until he can go in the garden? They usually have 10 mins or so with back door open when we get back from walk before I leave for work too.

Just to add, he’s around 4 years old.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
how long is the morning walk and when is he fed? has he yet pooed in the garden?

Fitz was kennel raised although a lot younger of course when we got him a) it was really hard to read the signs of him wanting to go out and b) he was quite anxious and for weeks wouldn't pee/poop anywhere he hadn't before. Just took a bit of time. If you can, I would take him out for as long as it takes for him to poop in the mornings. Fitz got used to the routine first and learned to ask later (once I managed to pick up on the very subtle signs lol)-he now rattles the keys in the door.

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
All my greyhounds and lurchers have been easy to housetrain.....until Marty! He has been in a kennel all his life (he will be 4 in April) and although he has only ever wee'd once in the house (literally when he first walked in) and will squeak to be let out, pooing has been another matter.

Greyhound boys aren't the most intelligent, and he has genuinely not been able to get his head around the fact that (a) it isn't OK and (b) when I chuck him out in the garden first thing/last thing that is what he should be doing :) My lunchtime dog lady has been really helpful, it has been a matter of praising him over-enthusiastically whenever he does poo outside/on a walk and waiting around with him outside until he performs. It has been 5 months now (wow, time flies!) and he has just about got the hang of it :)

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Morning walk is usually between 45 mins and an hour. They are fed breakfast at half 5, and walk is around 6. Haven’t seen him poo in garden, but seen him wee loads and praised for it. Gets praised when poo on walks. They have dinner around 5/5.30pm, then either come horses with me and go for walk after, or just taken for another walk around half 6/7. D will also walk them during the day. (He works nights). We usually go to bed about 10, but both go in the garden beforehand.

About 2 weeks ago, I’d walked them, got home. Took leads and collars off and put them away, and when I turned round, there was a poo in the kitchen! Again, I just didn’t catch him in the act to deal with there and then. At least puppies have no shame in squatting in front of you and you can pick them up and take them outside 😂

{97702}

Visit site
About 2 weeks ago, I’d walked them, got home. Took leads and collars off and put them away, and when I turned round, there was a poo in the kitchen! Again, I just didn’t catch him in the act to deal with there and then. At least puppies have no shame in squatting in front of you and you can pick them up and take them outside 😂

Yeah that sounds just like Marty..... :p

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
A little update.

I think/hope we have cracked it. Last weekend, he did a proper wee indoors, twice within the space of about 2 hours. The wind was kicking up a hooley, and we do think he was genuinely scared. There have been a couple of poos between going for his morning walk, and D getting home from work. D has been off last couple of nights, and been getting up and walking with me. He said the poos were a totally different colour, and we now think it might have been the cat. He does do “protest” poo, did them in the bath Christmas before last when MiL came to stay. I generally keep bathroom door closed since, and weather has been crap, plus he’s an old cat now, so who knows? Have left bathroom door open, found one poo in bath once, and none anywhere else in house at all. Bo still likes to herd the cat, so wonder if poor puss has been getting stage fright outside with eyes on him?