Houston, we have a problem!

Fools Motto

Visit site
The puppy is eating the wall by old dogs bed, and old dog is letting it happen!!
Any horrible anti-chew-wall thing out there?
Pup has chews and toys.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
whiskey (on the wall, not in the pup)

my setter, as a pup, ate through an interior wall and a skirting board while we were away and had a live in pet sitter. Not her fault, setter puppies are not the easiest. Whiskey stopped him, plus kongs etc.

Clodagh

Visit site
Crate her if she only does it overnight? During the day whisky sounds good but everyone who visits your house will think you have a major drink problem.

Alec Swan

Visit site
A hand held sprayer, with a strong Dettol solution will be an improvement over whisky. The benefits will be that (as Clodagh says), visitors won't imagine you to have a drink problem, Dettol's a damn site cheaper than whisky, and you won't feel such a sense of guilt at such wanton wastage.

The other point of course, is that I've yet to know a dog which has developed a taste for Dettol.

Alec.

Spudlet

Visit site
We used diluted English mustard to stop our old lab eating their way through a door. We did have to repaint when he grew out of chewing though.

We tried various anti-chew sprays, I'm sure they work for some dogs, but our old boy seemed to like them.... miss him!

Bellasophia

Visit site
Over in Italy I used to use pepperoncino powder,which I mixed into furniture wax.My rottie pup had a penchant for my kitchen chair legs and the wooden table...worked a treat!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Dettol and a metal tool box in the appropriate place has, so far worked a treat!... However, the old dogs bed clothes are now being pulled. Luckily, so far, old dog has remained on them so they haven't gone walkies yet. Just wish she would growl or do something!!

This all happens when we are both out - I go out early, and come home lunch time, OH leaves after me and home at 5. she is on her own, with old dog for 3 hours at worst. (got road works here, so delays vary).
She had a frozen kong thing, and a deer antler, although the old dog had the antler it seems!! Night time, she has been so so good. (so far) and nothing really gets 'it'.

Thanks for all advice.

bex1984

Visit site
How old is she? They only get more adventurous as they get a bit older so I'd definitely think about crate training (it would give your older dog a break too!)

Bellasophia

Visit site
"
This all happens when we are both out - I go out early, and come home lunch time, OH leaves after me and home at 5. she is on her own, with old dog for 3 hours at worst. (got road works here, so delays vary"
".................

so if you go out early and come home at lunch,how long is your new pup actually being left on her own?...surely it's more than three hours?
If I left my new pup alone for these hours,she would have got herself into a lot of trouble.....you have to have a better plan than this.
Have you considered puppy day care as an option.?you just can't leave a working breed puppy alone and expect it to not get into things...it is both dangerous to the pup and non productive.
Crating a young pup for these long hours would be simply cruel IMO

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would crate train, I have my new puppy crate trained he crated in the car and overnight (midnight to five) by my bed I get up as soon as he wakes .
He goes in the crate for times during the day if it necessary .
It gives the old dogs a break and as long as they have had fresh air and play immediately before you put them in they learn to sleep.
I would not crate at night and most of the day though.
How about a big puppy play pen I have not got one but they look great.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I read it as the OP comes home at lunchtime and is home all afternoon. I hope that is right, otherwise I agree too long to leave a pup.
Not withstanding the damage the pup is doing, I think its a bit mean to leave the pup to annoy your older dog while you are out. You say you wish she would growl, but what if she seriously, and justifiably, loses her temper and does your pup some damage. Far better to crate train your pup IF she is only left for around 3 hours a day.

bex1984

Visit site
The OP has said her pup is only left for max 3 hours.

Bellasophia, interested to hear your rational explanation for why crate training wouldn't be beneficial in a situation like this?

Bellasophia

Visit site
Bex...if you say early morning ,to me that says about 7 or 8 am....lunchtime is about mid.day...5 hours????
What is the pup learning? Nothing...of course she is going to eat the walls and become a pest.
If you take on a working breed you should feel obligated to stimulate,occupy,exercise ..and so on...
I have had a working rottie from Germany..she was completely different from my usual choice of breeds( poodle,dogue de Bordeaux,terrier) ...in taking her on Iaccepted she would need obedience classes,socialization classes and eventually CDX. training..without this I think she would have become destructive.

bex1984

Visit site
She said her oh leaves after she does though?

Of course, no dog left alone is learning much during that time, but that's not to say they are not learning anything for the other 21 hours a day surely?!

And if you can't keep an eye on them to be able to intervene to correct destructive behaviour then imo they are better crated and asleep where they can't get into mischief in the first place.

Sorry op, will stop derailing your thread now! You do have my sympathies...
Last night my puppy tried to eat my shoes and dragged the loo brush around, the night before he brought in a frog (my worst nightmare!!)

Fools Motto

Visit site
OH leaves at 10 am, I'm back by 1pm, then with her for the rest of the day. OH also has a CCTV thingy set up, so he can see what is going on, and get back home quicker than I can.
The walls and skirting boards haven't been touched today. She got some of old dogs bedding just out of her bed and fell asleep on it. Apparently she tried really hard to sneek into bed with her, but probably got 'the stare'!!
Her bed is in a crate, but we've been leaving the door open and seeing how it goes. I've never had to crate train yet. I can't complain, she has been very very good really. It is very early days and I didn't want the wall chewing to escalate into something more serious.

Fools Motto

Visit site
pupnpear_zpswsbdxhxb.jpg

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

Of course, no dog left alone is learning much during that time, ……..

A puppy left alone, conversely, is actually learning something; It's learning to be left alone! A vital lesson, and the sooner learnt, the better. The only dog which we have which lives indoors, when he first arrived was, and still is, left alone for 9 hours every night. He whinged a bit the first night, but he soon got the hang of it! :)

Alec.

Ets. F-M, a pretty puppy!

Clodagh

Visit site
She is lovely. IMO three hours is perfectly acceptable for a pup to be left. I personally would seperate her form the older dog, for the sake of the older dog, but we all have different ways of doing things.
I leave mine in a crate all night from the first day they come home, from 11 - 6.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't like to be the voice of doom but one of my SIL's labs ate the entire kitchen wall so the holes where big enough for the dogs to climb through .
It was the most epic piece of pup damage I have seen since one of my fathers litters chewed through the load bearing door frame of a porch necessitating an emergency visit from a builder at midnight to support the porch with one of those metal things they use to hold things up before they put in lintels .
However what's a wall when you look as cute as that .

CAYLA

Visit site
She does need to learn to be left "alone" without causing destruction. If by leaving "toys/chews" they are the same toys and chews left day in and day out then she will not be interested in entertaining herself with them, especially toys (puppies tend to play more with toys when humans are involved in the play)
I agree that crating her with the door closed is better for the older dog (to get a break) and better to break the habit of destruction that the puppy is now learning in order to soothe and occupy her time alone.
By crating her she can safely have long lasting goodies that wont end up in a figh if the older dog wants some. By long lasting I mean, pigs ears/pork rolls/stuffed kongs (ready frozen) each day and maybe 2 left for her. This will occupy her and tire her physically as the act of chewing does for puppies and dogs. It will also give her a positive association to being alone and create a new continuous routine. She also needs to spend time in the crate when you are home with goodies and eat all her meals in there.
You need to

willhegofirst

Visit site
How about a play pen? We have a young Collie/Keplie pup, she was only six weeks when we got her, yes far too young I know, but that is another story, anyway due to her being so young we didn't want to shut her in a crate overnight as she wouldn't be able to be clean at that age, so we got her a pen which means she is confined but not shut in her crate and having to toilet in it. It seems to work.