How are we coming on?

Queenbee

Visit site
As many of you know we are working towards the royal Cornwall show which is on the sixth of June. Some really happy progress today, Ben is moulting... I am covered in itchy hairs... Yay:D. This is a huge weight off my mind! This last week Ben has pretty much had off... I've just been allowing him to get jiggy with the grass:p. another breakthrough today... We are trotting in hand... Walk and halt are pretty nailed and although the trot pace still has to be established... We have trot on command!! Huge breakthrough, as is the fact that he will now turn... Again this needs refining but a few more sessions and we will have it I reckon :D

Anyway, what I really want is a few comments on how he is looking. I think there is still definitely room for improvement but in my opinion he looks a lot better than he did a couple of months ago... Anyway, cc, comments and pointers welcome, I know he needs some tarting up, but condition wise I'd really appreciate some input :)

This was taken mid April:

As many of you know we are working towards the royal Cornwall show which is on the sixth of June. Some really happy progress today, Ben is moulting... I am covered in itchy hairs... Yay:D. This is a huge weight off my mind! This last week Ben has pretty much had off... I've just been allowing him to get jiggy with the grass:p. another breakthrough today... We are trotting in hand... Walk and halt are pretty nailed and although the trot pace still has to be established... We have trot on command!! Huge breakthrough, as is the fact that he will now turn... Again this needs refining but a few more sessions and we will have it I reckon :D

Anyway, what I really want is a few comments on how he is looking. I think there is still definitely room for improvement but in my opinion he looks a lot better than he did a month ago... Anyway, cc, comments and pointers welcome, I know he needs some tarting up, but condition wise I'd really appreciate some input we have been somewhat hampered by the bad weather and the grass being late coming through :)

This was taken mid April:
44847_587964434547269_1156227141_n.jpg

Taken may 3rd
601031_593951030615276_243905610_n.jpg

Taken today:
969937_599909503352762_397019605_n.jpg

316216_599909486686097_288265369_n.jpg

969940_599909466686099_1321868250_n.jpg

943550_599909423352770_1378551218_n.jpg

Thank you :D

Lolo

Visit site
Agree with amymay- no more weight, but he looks very well! I am itching to do some feather removal too :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
He's developed donkey ears in the last photo! Brilliant angle ;)

Agree with above - no more weihgt, but he looks tidier having lost some of the coat :)

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Queenbee, he looks lovely - and has a really lovely bum, if I may say so. Makes me want to trade in a few TB's ;) and succumb to the cuteness factor. Love the last pic, especially! Looking forward to updates and, finally, the pics from the Royal Cornwall show :)

Queenbee

Visit site
Oh thank you all... No, I agree, no more weight, and feed was cut back this week, he was on 2 scoops of speedie beet, 2 scoops of hi fi, 2 cups of linseed, and a vit and mineral supplement each day, now he just has 150 g (1 cup) of linseed to help with his new coat and 1scoop of speedie beet plus his supplement daily.

I'm liking his progress and will focusing on hacks for the next couple of weeks with perhaps one session in the school per week, and leading, and ofcourse grooming :D. Yes lolo, i cant waith till this moult is through and then i can focus on getting those legs looking like horse legs not yak legs :D. Jftd, he has always had huuuuge ears :D, they look a lot smaller when trimmed up but still big :D ancient hacker... yes, he does have a very sexy bum :D

Once the show is done, I will probably want to see those ribs a wee bit more, at the moment we are strengthening and building muscle up :). And when i have survived the show Ben is going to learn to pop a few tiddly poles for fun :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Nah, it's an optical illusion on the final pic - where the nearside ear lines up perfectly with the far one and it looks double the length it should be ;)

Queenbee

Visit site
Bully. That's not nice. I bet he cries himself to sleep at night :(

:D

Only when ive pulled his mane earlier in the day :p:eek::eek:

My terms of endearment for Ben:

Big ears
Benny boos
Yak
Beast
Mud monster
Mud monkey...

The others would get me banned and are rarely used nowadays :p

Queenbee

Visit site
I've actually been stressing on a daily basis about this showing malarkey, my stomach has been in knots constantly and I still have three weeks to go! I am so glad I've charted his progress in pictures, because I really can see a difference and that a) we really are going in the right direction, b) the work and effort is worth it and c) we do stand a chance of getting there... Things are not as bad as I keep telling myself they are!

:D

Queenbee

Visit site
Fantastic! Nearly a year infact!! Will watch for updates..., I dont envy those white legs hehe!! Sounds like you've both come very far :)

Yes, it will be a year since ebony was PTS on June 16th, and a year since he came back from being backed on August the 1st, he has come far, and we are really starting to become a 'couple' if you get me, I can read him, I trust him its less of me riding and handling an unknown horse and more me riding my horse that I know and understand, which is great! :D

Fools Motto

Visit site
He looks lovely. I find some horses have lost their winter coats, some of which lost theirs ages ago, and some are still moulting like there is no tomorrow. I came home today covered in grey hairs.. I swore blind I'm not that old yet!!

Remind me what you are doing at the show with him?

Queenbee

Visit site
Mr v... I promise lots and lots of pictures :)

He looks lovely. I find some horses have lost their winter coats, some of which lost theirs ages ago, and some are still moulting like there is no tomorrow. I came home today covered in grey hairs.. I swore blind I'm not that old yet!!

Remind me what you are doing at the show with him?

Thank you, I was just saying on Facebook to a friend what a boost it has been for me to see his progress over the last month. It's given me confidence and the grit and determination for the last three weeks haul :D

Yes, he has always been slower to lose his coat than ebony, but then he was a baby and kept his winter wollies longer! The last few weeks I could get a few hairs from the legs, but nothing off his body, these last two days... All the body hair has started to shift!

Since its his first show year I'm just going to keep it simple, and do an inhand class at this level, we are doing Skewbald and Piebald in hand under bspa rules.

This year I'm focusing on coloured and S&P classes, next year we will be doing ridden hunter locally too.

be positive

Visit site
Topline is looking better and for his age fairly good you would not expect him to be as well muscled as a fully mature horse and the changes are he will look immature at the shows this year he will be the youngest age in the open classes.
Coat is looking better, the real difference will be when you get those legs and tail done it will enhance the rest, at the moment the hair is distorting the overall picture.

Queenbee

Visit site
Topline is looking better and for his age fairly good you would not expect him to be as well muscled as a fully mature horse and the changes are he will look immature at the shows this year he will be the youngest age in the open classes.
Coat is looking better, the real difference will be when you get those legs and tail done it will enhance the rest, at the moment the hair is distorting the overall picture.

Thank you :). That's just what I needed to hear... I do keep telling myself he's just a baby! So it's nice to hear. Yes, can not wait to get those leg warmers and beard done! I'm waiting on the tail until the legs have moulted because I can then give him the last bit of sedaline and trim him up and finish pulling him in one go.
:)