How are your dogs with fireworks?

Welsh

Visit site
Our Rottweiler 8yrs old doesn't give a MONKEYS, an airbomb could go off by our front door and she'd just glance for a second before going back to sleep!
Our JR x YT is only 10 months so I don't know what she's going to think of it all..

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Little Bloke (terrier) isn't at all worried, thinks its all part of his daily adventures with life; Black & White dog (bitch) however thinks the end of the world has arrived, bless her. What I'm going to do this weekend is to plug in the DAP deffuser and keep it on all weekend; am a convert to this device, it really DOES work. The last time we had a thunderstorm I put a few drops of the stuff on her collar and she was OK.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Totally unconcerned, although it took two years of Bonfire Night to work out that we should completely ignore Brig, no touch, no talk, no eye contact for him to relax and realise there was no threat. Bless!

Cahill

Visit site
my present dog and previous ones couldn`t care less and happily mooched in the garden for a wee when they are going off.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
None of mine have ever been bothered, in fact I quite often take Yellow Dog for his evening walk to go and watch fireworks going off :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
No bother to him and it was like Beirut this evening...he's been shot over and had whips cracked in his general direction since he was a pup so would expect nothing less from him.
TBH working bred dogs/dogs from working breeds (apart from collies :p) shouldn't generally be bothered by loud noises.

honeymum

Bucks/Somerset depends really............
Visit site
The only problem with my JRT is that sometimes I think I'm going to freeze to death waiting for her to finish watching the bloody things in the garden :D:eek: .

My mum's Collie on the other hand is terrified of them, so glad she doesn't live here any more as it's been like a warzone since Eid and will be for another couple of weeks yet.

WandaMare

Visit site
My collie dog stands by the patio door watching them, growling quietly. Then when I open the door he rushes outside barking up at the sky :D They get the same treatment as low flying birds.

JeanetteM

Visit site
I have no idea!

my collie is 10 months old, she's not heard or seen a whizzbangpop yet, I think she'll be scared at first but I'll be able to win her round, time will tell :eek:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Mine love them! We do gun dog drives at game fairs and they think all bangs mean running to fetch something. We also have a wedding hotel nearby that does fireworks regularly, so they're well used to them.

millitiger

Visit site
TBH working bred dogs/dogs from working breeds (apart from collies :p) shouldn't generally be bothered by loud noises.

Nobody told Boris (GSP) that unfortunately and he is terrified of guns and fireworks (and champagne bottles!) :(

He is ok with fireworks now if he can sit with a lot of body contact with you, he will just curl up and shake in his sleep.
If you try and make him sit on the floor, ignore him or put him in the dog room he almost starts to hyperventilate and will destroy doors, doorframes etc to get back to you.

Daisy doberman on the other hand, loves fireworks! She stands with her front paws on the windowsill and likes to watch them going off :)

PorkChop

Visit site
Mine aren't bothered at all, thank goodness.

I really feel for those of you that do have animals that worry though, especially when there could be fireworks at any time over a fortnight.

weaselwords

Visit site
I live in a big multicultural city, so probably get more fireworks than other places as there are so many other celebrations going on around the year. My silly brown dog isn't bothered at all but the Weimaraner bitch gets a bit stressed and tries to chase them, so I get a lot of startled ears, running around, whining and wanting to go out. I would like to think this is the gun dog in her wanting to do it's job.

muddygreymare

Visit site
We got Harvey as a puppy just before bonfire night 2 years ago so he was used to fireworks from very young. He always comes out and watches them with us but if he's alone he gets scared so we take pity on him and he gets to sleep on the bed for the night :p

Twizzel

Visit site
Not sure how ours is as she was born 2 weeks after bonfire night last year. However she's fine with guns so wouldn't think she will bat an eyelid.

ladyt25

Visit site
No idea as I got her at the beginning of Dec last year. She did though think all the trick or treaters coming to the door last night was most exciting! :D

Welsh

Visit site
ladyt25 lol :D ours were VERY interested in the trick or treaters! I felt evil so I put a 'scream' mask on & hid on the stairs, the 'scary' Rottweiler rolled her eyes at me and went back to her biscuits but the terrier went NUTS! :confused:
A family I know has a load of Staffs and the mother used to scream her head off and grab the 'poor' dogs everytime a firework went off so the dogs (I think) connected firework bangs with someone showing terror & freaked every year....

springtime13

Visit site
Our patterdale barks for 3 minutes per bang. I'm expecting this week to wear earplugs. Our elderly terrier shakes, pants and tries to crawl into your skin. Our 5 months old pup hasn't every heard them, so I'm hoping she'll be the sensible one :eek: Last year I swore I would get sedatives for us all, but don't really want to go down that line. Think I might try thundershirts all round, DAPP diffuser and find the most banging radio station I can find and have it on loud from 5pm. Luckily our neighbours are amazing.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
My boxer is fine, sleeps like a log and one time up the yard he sat with us all watching some from the distance.

My GSP on the other hand is extremly scard, he will not leave my side. He shakes and stares at the ceiling all night, he shakes in his sleep and his heart pounds, all he wants is cuddles. Hes been on tablets from the vets but they dont make much difference.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
My collie will just come and jump on your knee - or as close as he can get and snuggle right up to you.

No fuss otherwise, he doesn't shake or bark or anything and actually will watch them from his snuggled up position but at the first bang, he just stops whatever he's doing and makes a beeline for me or OH.