How bad is it if you can't control your horse

horsegirl

Visit site
when out hunting? My horse gets really excited about everything and I can imagine him just taking off (ex racer) and trying to get to the front. :shocked:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I am not hunting Thumper because I have no confidence in my ability to hold on to him........

So unless your confident that you have some control I personally wouldn't take him.

However, you could go for a quite hour at the back of the field with a 'sane' friend to see how you get on. Also tell the master that it's your first time out, and that you're not quite sure what your horse is going to do.

Starbucks

Visit site
If you have no control at all then it is extremely scary!!!! I had a little TB type eventer and I took him once and he scared me to death!! He just bolted through the field, totally crashed through a wall, galloped up to the huntsman and kept rearing when I tried to take him back - great fun!! I was only out about 10 minutes and we didn't bother after that! :p

I guess it depends if they are thinking for themselves or have lost the plot.

horsegirl

Visit site
He is quite well behaved in the school and is never difficult to stop, you just have to think whoa and he does but he gets very excited at shows (bucked me off going round a 18 inch clear round at our own yard!!!!) and he even a little walk round the block has him jumpy and spooking, I dread to think what he would be like hunting. I think I am going to try with my husband's horse as she is more sensible.

peanut

Visit site
How a horse behaves in the school is absolutely no indication of what it will be like out hunting.

Could you go on a fast hack with other horses and see how he reacts in that situation? Especially if some of the horses are unknown to him.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
It is not only bad manners but very dangerous, perhaps you ask someone more experienced to take him for you a couple of times to see how he reacts?
My exracehorse (the mad one) is actually a real gent to hunt, but I do use a double bridle, if he decided to go I want to be able to stop him!

Nats_uk

Visit site
My friend took his green horse hunting in a snaffle and he had no control - the horse was barging into everyone and going in front of the Master.

He got sent home very quickly :crazy:

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Its not very pleasent to say the least :confused: it's one thing not having control but another if you are dangerously out of control....

It's all down to the horse really, could you try a fun run or something first???

Starbucks

Visit site
Its not very pleasent to say the least :confused: it's one thing not having control but another if you are dangerously out of control....

Thats very true and it's kind of hard to explain? It's different not being able to stop and them completely loosing the plot! :p

BarmyC

Visit site
I find that the first time out a horse doesnt really understand what is going on and will normally behave impeccably its the 2nd time that i have always had problems with

silversox

Visit site
I find that the first time out a horse doesnt really understand what is going on and will normally behave impeccably its the 2nd time that i have always had problems with

That is so true!

I would advise tying a green bow at the top of his tail, trying a stronger bit (e.g. Cheltenham gag with 2 reins, very effective on horses who lower their heads and lean), don't overfeed him beforehand and try to park well away from the Meet and hack him there, to get him settled. If you can tag on to a sensible stable-mate at the back of the Field, all the better.

Kenzo

Visit site
If you go knowing that you will absolutely have no control and your horse is going to be nothing but a nightmare then don't risk putting your self, your horse and other people at risk.

Fair enough if you know he's going to be a hand full/strong etc but if you can contain this even a bit then just keep to the back (easier said than done I know) keep out of the way or in a smaller group.

Usually takes a season for a fresh horse to discover what its all about and settle into the field so don't feel pressured to have a perfectly well mannered horse, ditto above, stick a green ribbon in and just politely remind people that its his first time, you can always bit good night after an hour or so if it all gets too much, but remember to check with the other to make sure you don't interfere with the hounds if you choose to go back.