How big is too big?

SillyMare

Visit site
Bear in mind big horses can take a long time to mature - if this horse is 6 he shouldn't grow much more, but he may still fill out and develop along his top line.

Full-up warmblood 17.2 can be an awful lot bigger than lightweight TB 17.2.

As everyone has said above, see how you feel.

I am 5ft8 (no lightweight) and ride a 17hh hunter mare - she can be very difficult to balance between fences and struggles to keep herself engaged and uphill. Rides like a very big horse at times (when she is on her forehand and bu**ering off!!).

Personally, given the choice I would always ride the smallest, neatest horse I could get away with. Definitely something people have different opinions on though - even the top eventers show definite preferences and all can be equally successful.

KateStartin

Visit site
I had a 17.2 warmblood with issues! he was fine because i mostly rode him in the school and hacked reasonably quietly. I only ever jumped him in the school. Im a confident and capable rider, im tall and his size felt fine but i'm a lot happier going xc and galloping about on my 16.2! (also much cheaper to feed!). Obviously temperament has a lot to do with this as well.

P.S. Clodagh, My 16.2 WB is the most sure footed clever horse i have ever sat on, he is truely amazing, however the 17.2 was so dim it was scary.

leanne123

Visit site
my horse is 18.3hh he looks huge when your stood at the side of him , but hes only a middleweight and dosn't feel half as big when im on board him.
and he travels in a trailer he puts his head down as he nears the top of the ramp. just be careful and take your time loading.