How big is your horse and what size trailer do you have

moodymare1987

Visit site
As title of the post. How big is your horse and what trailer do you have.
Do any people travel without the partition and is there any particular reason for it.

Moomin1

Visit site
My girl is 16.3, but a 'big' 16.3hh in head carriage and length of body. She holds herself more like a 17.2 I would say. I have an Ifor Williams 510 which is ample in space for her, head wise and body length/width wise.

MuddyTB

Visit site
16.1 TB in Ifor 510. He would just fit in a 505 but I decided it wasn't worth risking him with the tight headroom.

Dizzle

Visit site
My mare is 13.2hh and not particularly big, she's just a bog standard pony and she hates the 505, as soon as it starts to move she bangs and always arrived sweaty and a couple of times has cut her legs banging about even when driven slowly and carefully.

Took her out in a 510 last year and it was like travelling a different horse, she's totally relaxed, didn't sweat up or bang about, two different 510's and two different drivers and she was perfectly happy. Two different 505's and two different drivers and she hated it.

Oddly she prefers the 510 to a rear facing 3.5t lorry, I've yet to try her in a bigger or herringbone lorry.

Asha

Visit site
My 15.2 IDxTB mare hated the small trailers, now have a 510 and shes happy as larry.

All of them travel well in it, range from 15.2 - 16.2

cblover

Visit site
My biggest horse is 16hh and I have a HB403. He's not been in the trailer over the winter and as a young horse he is still growing. I'll try him again soon but I imagine I'll have to sell it and get a 505. I'd travel him with no partition in if I got a bigger one. He travels really well, so we'll have to wait and see.

moodymare1987

Visit site
Thank you everyone I find it interesting how people travel horses.
Have seen people with partitions out of some and the horse has stood on an angle. What reason do people travel like that.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Have seen people with partitions out of some and the horse has stood on an angle. What reason do people travel like that.

Hi, i travel our 16.2 lad in a Ifor 510 without the partitions, he has a full width breast and breech bar and he stands diagonally. This is because he finds it really hard to balance himself in the trailer.

I have a camera fitted and when i watched him travel in a partition i noticed when i did a right turn his back legs went from under him, he was fine on a left turn. So just took the decision to travel him as above.

Nothing wrong with the trailer or tyres etc as i have then checked and serviced annually, just him.

hoggedmane

Visit site

17hh shire X TB in a 510. no partition.
She did travel with the partition when I got her but started to travel badly so removed it and got full length breech and breast bars. Now she stands diagonally and travels happily.

Have seen an 18hh percheron x andalusian come out of a 505 and he seemed quite happy!

Tia0513

Visit site
My mare is approx 16.2hh + growing idxtb. We had to sell our 505 as she was at the limit, now have her in a 510 and there is loads of room for her & our 15hh welsh d.

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
Mine is a 16.1hh ISH and she's quite long. I have a 20 odd year old Richardson Rosette in which she travels without a partition and has full breast and breech bars. She started scrabbling and falling over last year with a partition in so after researching on here, the advice was to take it out and let her have the full trailer to herself. The difference has been amazing. She travels like a dream. The trailer is plenty big enough in terms of length and height but I wish the suspension gave a nicer ride as it is rather rattly and bumpy (tyres are at the correct pressure).

RutlandH2O

Visit site
My 18h1" pure Shire mare (with a long, cresty neck) travels in an IW 510. I've always travelled her with the partition in place, with breast and breech bars.

Alfiemoo

Visit site
I have a 16hh heavyweight cob I travel him in a IW506 with the partition. When I got the trailer he was 4 years old and 14.2. I would have got a IW511 had I known he was going to grow so much more.

moodymare1987

Visit site
How long are peoples horses that are in the 505s. My horse is 16.2 but im dubious to whether he would fit in the trailers that state up to 16.2

poorchickens

Visit site
A 16.3 WB long mare in a IW505 with no partitions and full length bars. It's a squeeze but she's a fab traveller and very happy in it. She loves her little stable on wheels as there's always good food in it :)

Welly

Visit site
We used to travel a 17hh CBxTB and 16.2hh IDxTB together in a IW 510 no probs. I think there is more room in a trailer than in most lorrys

loopiesteff

Visit site
17.2hh IDxWB - fits in a Equitrek Space Treka L with no problem.

Friend took me to an event once in her trailer - only when I got back I realised hers was an M! He still had room!

dRats

Visit site
We have a 16.2 IDx and a 17.1 shire-x who are fine together in the 7'6 tall Rice Beaufort. When the IDx was v young she was not stable in a stall, but travelled well alone with just a full breast bar. She's a seasoned traveller now. Even with 2 bigguns we don't need the wider trailer, ther's lots of room in the standard, but the tall girl needs the extra 6" ear room. Well, not really, she is very relaxed....*I* find the extra height good as it's also in the jockey door and I don't get scalped going in! And in the ramps so they are shallower, small difference.