How big/tall are you on your 14.2's?

Julia0803

Visit site
Just wondering how tall other people are on their 14.2's, esp cobby types?

We have a wonderful 14.2 cob who is a complete darling. I share him with my novice 12 year old son. They have a lovely time together and are so well suited. We have had him 2 and a bit years. I'm 5'4 and obviously not growing anymore. :)

My son is just over 5'4, but a bit like a gangly youngster, is all out of proportion with supermodel legs (i am not jealous, i am not jealous!! ;) ) so actually has longer legs than me. However, he is a complete bean pole and weighs a grand total of 42kg, which i think is about 6.5 stone.

He is obviously not to heavy in the slightest. I hadn't really thought about his size too much at all, but had a couple of people make comments recently,along the lines of "ooh... teeth sucking noise... he'll be outgrown very soon you know", particularly when they see him riding bareback to and from the field with his feet dangling past his belly.

I would have thought he had several more inches in him yet before we need to think about something bigger? I know he is not going to get to heavy for him in a long time. Obviously if he gets really tall he will unbalance him, but how tall is that likely to be? Please tell me it's going to be a long time off yet!! I don't think he is read to move onto the next stage type of horse (not sure if he will ever be, as he is a bit of a self preservationist!) and our pony is just perfect for him, both of us actually. Sensible and safe, but willing to give anything a go and generally fun. I really don't my son to have to move on for at least another few years.

So i was just wondering if anyone out there over about 5'6 have 14.2ish ponies? Do you cope ok being tall? How tall do you think will cause a problem?

Thank you

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Not a 14.2 cob, but my cousin who was at the time over 6ft, but weighed 10 stone has ridden my 15hh arab and he didn't look silly at all. She is a well built lady though. ;)

Speedyfluff

Visit site
I am of the opinion that as long as the rider is not too heavy for the horse and is well balanced, then height doesn't matter one bit. Look at William Fox-Pitt; he is way too tall for some of his mounts but they do just fine.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
i have a 14.2/3hh gypsy cob. i'm 5'4" If I'm riding long my feet go lower than his belly. if I'm riding shorter they are spot on. My eldest daughter is 19 and 5'7" she rides him and doesnt look stupid but obviously has longer legs. she has very very long legs compared to her body. they are the legs of someone 5'9" easily! she has jumped him 1m courses, done cross country etc etc its no problem.
I wouldn't worry until you get to the point you think it's an issue.
I'll try put on a photo :)

sorry failed on the photo front. for some reason I can't upload it :(

Last edited:

Speedyfluff

Visit site

Mitch&I

Visit site
Your cob is lovely! What a great photo ��

The beauty of most cobs, is that they can carry weight easily and leg length because of their roundness. I don't think your son is too big for him and I think they could probably work well together for some time yet. The only problem with long legs on a pony, is that good leg signals can be a little more difficult to place but this isn't something which will change overnight but develop over time. Because of that, your son (and cob) will just adjust as he grows, I would imagine.

Julia0803

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

He is such a dude and I luffs him to bits!! He is just so good with him, anytime son has a pilot error he slows to a halt till he can sort himself out and off they go again- I've found it even works well on the hunt field when I've been over ambitious and eaten mud ;) ... he politely waits for you to get back on and then off you go!

epeters91

Visit site
I have a 14.2/14.3 youngster, hoping she will grow a little bit more! I am 5 ft 8 and she handles my weight and size fine, whenever I go for riding lessons I'm always put oon 14.2-15hh horses I've even asked to be put on bigger ones but never seems to happen haha!

LHIS

Visit site
He looks fine, don't worry (cracking photo by the way!) and what a lovely cob you have. If he gets loads taller and fills out a bit then he might start to feel too big for your horse, but as others have said it's about how you ride and if he is balanced and with the horse then I wouldn't worry too much. As another has said, you need only look to William F-P - yes he looks too big for most of his horses, but they cope fine and obviously he rides very well!

Araboo27

Visit site
My 13hh was previously owned by a lady who is 5'7" and they looked great together, I expect your son will be fine for a long time yet. Fab picture btw!

Greylegs

Visit site
I'm 5ft7 with longish legs for my height, and ride a 14.2 highland, who's a chunky lad. (I'd post a pic if I could fathom out how to do it!!) and he takes my leg very well because he's such a chunk! (YO calls him a big horse on short legs!). Your son looks great on your boy so I wouldn't worry too much.

be positive

Visit site
Why do people feel the need to make such unhelpful comments, your son is fine on his cob and will be for some time, children need to spend time having fun on ponies not get pushed onto horses before they are physically or mentally ready.

A few years ago one of my clients had just bought a 14.2 connie for her daughter, a tall about 5ft 6in but very slim 12 year old girl who had serious self confidence issues, we took them out to sj and almost as soon as we got there someone approached us and complimented the pony with a comment of " we will be very interested in buying him as you will obviously be selling him soon as he is too small for you now!!" the poor girl was mortified she had only had him a matter of weeks and he was her pride and joy that she was looking forward to competing on for at least a further 2 seasons, luckily she did not grow too quickly and did have 2 years of fun with him, there was no way she could have coped with a horse at 12 but by 14 was ready to move on.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I'm 5'7 and not the lighest person I know! I was riding my friends New Forest pony for her! she's adamant he's 14'3, but I'd say she's lucky if he's 14hh

I did feel big on him as I have quite long legs but he didn't seem to have any issues, I defo rode shorter on him than I do my my 16'2 gelding haha

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm 5'9" and weigh a good 11st, here's my 14.2 Friesian cross mare (excuse the riding attire - it's what we do for a living).

Ferninarmour.jpg

I don't know why people think they have to have their legs half way up the sides of their horse, it's FAR more correct to be able to wrap your leg around the barrel. Your son will have many more years of fun with your lovely cob. Enjoy!

Speedyfluff

Visit site
I'm 5'9" and weigh a good 11st, here's my 14.2 Friesian cross mare (excuse the riding attire - it's what we do for a living).

Ferninarmour.jpg

I don't know why people think they have to have their legs half way up the sides of their horse, it's FAR more correct to be able to wrap your leg around the barrel. Your son will have many more years of fun with your lovely cob. Enjoy!

Lovely picture, Cortez!

Kezzabell2

Visit site

I assume you mean 11 stone including the outfit, coz your legs look really skinny!!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Have a look at some western horses. It's ultra-common for taller riders to have horses of 14.2 or less. I'm 5 ft 7 and have 2 @ 14.2.5 (to be exact!), which are plenty big enough for me, thank you. It's tragic to see kids pushed into great lanky horses for the sake of it, when they could be building their confidence and having fun on smaller and safer cobs and ponies.

Lammy

Visit site
Im 5'5" and fit just right on my 14.3hh welsh d mare, I ride rather long too and she still takes my leg well.
My 6'3" friend even managed to fit on for a hack without looking completely silly!

2ro5lyf.jpg

dornrose

Visit site
I have gone from a 16.1 warmblood to a 14.2 Highland (and between times I rode a 13.3 Fell) I am 5'6" and he takes up my leg well, he feels huge compared to the fell. Seriously don't worry about what people say a cobby type is just right for you both to share and will (does) take up the leg well.